Search billions of records on

Milton D. Stover, president of the Board of Trustees of Forreston and one of the firm of Campbell & Stover, dealers in fine blooded horses, is a native of [Hagerstown] Washington County, MD., and one of the most progressive citizens of Ogle County, The date of his birth is July 4, 1837, and he is a son of David and Mary (Hill) Stover. The father was born in Pennsylvania, Aug. 22, 1793 and the mother Jan. 8, [1799 or 1809...copy too dark to read for sure] on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. The latter is of English ancestry while the father was of German descent. He died in July, 1851, but the mother survives and makes her home with her children in Ogle County.

There was born to the parents a family of five daughters and three sons, Milton D. being the fifth in order of birth. They were both members of the Dunkard Church, to which the mother is still united. The father was apprenticed to learn the blacksmith trade, at which he worked until five years previous to his death. Finding the labor somewhat too heavy he quit it and began farming.

The gentleman of whom we write, having learned his trade of his father, served an apprenticeship of over three years, and in August, 1856, left it and came to Ogle County. He landed at Polo on the 1st day of August, 1856, and taking up his trade worked for Cooper & Powell of that place. After remaining with them for about two months he went to work by the month on a farm in Pine Creek Township, and remained with Mr. Wm. Hays four years.

Our subject was united in marriage March 22, 1860 with Evaline E. McClure [ or Eliza Evaline], a native of Adeline Township, Ogle County. Their nuptials celebrated at Forreston, and the date of her birth was May 24, 1839. She was a daughter of James [should be William] and Nancy (Blair) McClure, old settlers of Ogle County. After their marriage they engaged for sometime in the pleasant and quiet vocation of farming, renting land in the vicinity of Forreston, on which he continued one year. He then returned to Pine Creek Township and worked one year for his former employer. They then removed to Polo, where he engaged with W. P. Cooper, with whom he worked two years his trade, or until July, 1865. He worked at blacksmithing, buying a shop and engaging in business for himself until Aug. 1, 1884, when he rented the shop and tools to Milford D. George [later married Angie Forbes, half-sister to Evaline], who had been in his employ of several years.

Mr. Stover is a a good horseman and has given no little attention to veterinary work. For ten years previous to renting the shop he owned blooded horses and sold to other parties for the purpose of improving the breed in the vicinity. After renting a shop he formed a partnership with John T. Campbell and engaged in dealing in fine horses. At the time of going into business with Mr. Campbell he owned Success and, which was purchased of Dunham in 1875. He was a magnificent specimen of the Percheron Norman stock and some excellent animals have sprung from him. The company has since been engaged in buying and selling and dealing in the best of stock.

Mr. Stover cast his first vote for our martyred President, Abraham Lincoln, and has usually cast a straight line of Republican votes for President. He usually, however, calculates to uphold not party, but principle, and posts himself as far as possible as to the character of the man for whom he votes. He has held the office on the Board of Trustees for three terms and has also been a member of the School Board. He belongs to White Oak Lodge fraternity No. 667, at Forreston, and is also a member of the Encampment No. 25, at Freeport.

The pleasant family which has sprung up about the hearth, consists of three children as follows: Clara S., born June 7, 1861; Teene C., born Nov. 7, 1864; and Alverna B., born Aug. 21, 1868. Clara S. espoused Charles E. Griswold at Forreston, Dec. 18, 1879, and now dwells at Dell Rapids, Dak., at which place she lost her husband. She opened a millinery establishment and supports herself by that vocation. Teene C. was married at Dell Rapids May 28, 1885 to Everett Harrington. They still live at that place, the husband being a furniture dealer, and doing a flourishing business. The other duaghter is single and remains at home.

In 1892 Milton D. Stover was elected Mayor of the town of Forreston and continued to hold public offices until his death on October 6th, 1902. He was ill for the last year of his life and his death was caused by cardiac insuffiency. Evaline died of pneumonia on February 24th, 1907. Both are bured in White Oak Cemetery in Forreston, Illinois.

Return to Ogle Co. Genealogy Site