The Oregon, Illinois Depot Restoration Project
The old Oregon train depot is under restoration
by volunteers and through donations. Spearheading the project
are Bob Rees of Oregon and Jerry Stauffer of Mt. Morris. The restoration
is expected to take about two years.
The original building was built in 1872, but was
destroyed by a fire in 1910. The construction on the current depot
was completed in 1914. Use of the current depot was discontinued
When completed, one room will honor servicemen who
left their homes via the depot while another will house a railroad
library and Burlington Northern Santa Fe (BNSF) viewing area.
The freight room will contain CB&O memorabilia
and the ticket office will be restored to its appearance in 1950.
In June 1997, the depot was listed on the National
Register of Historic Places.
Outside the building, brick platforms will provide a viewing shelter
and picnic tables.
The Restoration Project Board welcomes volunteers
and all donations.
Photos by Laverne M. Stauffer
Back to links
Back to Ogle County home page