Pleasant Grove or Douglas Memorial Presbyterian Church
Douglas Memorial Presbyterian Church and Cemetery
Submitted by Carol Olson, wife of Robert Silliman Olson, a great-great-great grandson of John Douglass (1777-1844)
Douglas Cemetery sign

The first Presbyterian Church in the county is known today [in 1947] as Douglas Memorial Church. It is located in the country near the Hamilton County line and about six miles from the Gallatin County line. It was organized October 28, 1849, by the Reverend John Crawford of the Ridgway community, a minister of the Cumberland Presbyterian denomination. The name given to the organization was Pleasant Grove, but in September, 1938, the name was changed to Douglas Memorial in honor of John Douglas, who emigrated from Tennessee about 1823, and settled on this land. He donated two acres of land to be used for church and cemetery purposes. A camp meeting ground was provided and for many years camp meetings were held regularly in September.
Source: Clarence Bonnell, ed. 1947. Saline County, A Century of History, 1847-1947. Harrisburg, Ill.: Saline County Historical Society. 132-133.

John Douglass
Nov. 5, 1777
July 16, 1844
Founder of
Douglass Memorial
Presbyterian Church

John Douglass
Maj 22 Ill State Militia
War of 1812
Indian Wars
Nov 5 1777 [Christian cross] Jul 16 1844

©2002 Jon Musgrave
Return to Saline County ILGenweb main page
You are the 5284 visitor to this page
Last updated 10/15/02