STEPHEN DECATUR CHAPTER
NATIONAL SOCIETY DAUGHTERS OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION
Decatur, Macon County, IL
This page updated October 11, 2002
ABRAHAM LINCOLN'S CIRCUIT of the EIGHTH JUDICIAL DISTRICT
Located on the lawn of James Millikin Homestead - 800 block West Main Street, Decatur, Illinois
TRAVELED THIS WAY AS HE RODE
THE CIRCUIT OF THE EIGHTH
Decatur, Illinois paper 1921 (exact date unknown):"ROUTE MARKER UNVEILED ON GROUNDS OF THE *ART INSTITUTE
Two uniformed boy scouts removed a flag, draped over a granite shaft, and a hundred school children filing past in pairs threw blossoms at its base.
Thus with simple ceremony befitting the man whom the orator of the day declared, loved the common people, the Macon county marker of Lincoln's route as a circuit lawyer was dedicated on the Art institute lawn yesterday afternoon.
The stone, hewn from a Maine quarry, bears upon it a bronze medalion with a profile reproduction of the Daniel French statue of Lincoln in the national memorial to be dedicated in Washington next week. It faces on West Main street, the probable route and records that Lincoln
traveled this way on the old judicial circuit.
Impressive excercises were held on the east porch of the institute. Introduced by Mrs. A.E. Ahrens, regent of the Decatur chapter, D.A.R., Mrs. H.E. Chubtuck, state regent, of Peoria, presided with dignity and grace. Miss Lotte Jones of Danville, chairman of the executive committee of the Eighth district marker association, congratulated the D.A.R. and the local association, represented by Mrs. E.L. Pegram upon its accomplishment.
Mrs. George R. Bacon, chaplain of Stephen Decatur chapter, D.A.R. offered the invocation.
Mr. Fitzgerald, representing the Macon county bar association brought his subject close, alluding Lincoln's frequent visits to Decatur as a lawyer, his many references to Macon county in his correspondence and his custom of mingling with the people socially during court week." *The Art Institute was previously located in the James Millikin Homestead