On May 15, 2002, the Illinois State Archives' web site added an online searchable index to the 1916-1950 Illinois death certificates. The State Archives initially offered free uncertified copies of those death certificates to all patrons who requested them by email, telephone, or postal mail.
Unfortunately, demand was so great it soon overwhelmed the archive's resources and resulted in great delays in sending out responses. In spite of many additional resources devoted by the State Archives, the demand only continued to increase - to the point that they determined their reference services would soon become so delayed as to be realistically useless. Therefore, on November 15, 2002 the service was reluctantly discontinued.
ISGS has established this project to assist members and researchers who do not have easy access to the Illinois State Archives to continue to be able to obtain death certificate copies. Cost per certificate is $6.00 for ISGS members, $10.00 for non-members. You may send as many requests at the same time as you wish - requests will be be filled using a "first come-first served" basis.
To obtain non-certified copies of death certificates from the 1916-1947 timeframe, please follow these steps:
- Go to the Illinois State Archives Death Certificate Index (link opens in new window)
- Search for the individual death certificate(s) you want.
- After you find the correct certificates(s), print or copy down the information exactly as displayed on your screen.
- If you would like to order online using a MasterCard, Visa, Discover, American Express or a PayPal account, you can use our shopping cart below. Your information is kept safe and secure by the PayPal payment service.
- If you would prefer not to use the shopping cart, print out an ISGS Death Certificate Request Form and transfer the death certificate information to the form. NOTE: Thanks to Jerry R. Abbott, our printable death certificate form is now a fillable form so you can fill in the death certificate information and then print out the completed form!!!!! Thanks Jerry.Mail the form along with your check made payable to the Illinois State Genealogy Society to the address shown on the form. (Note: Credit cards are only available online!)
- If you have any questions, you may contact us via email
Illinois State Genealogical Society Membership
ISGS members receive a 40% discount on certificates. Not a member? Join ISGS now and start saving immediately!
Copies of 1916-1947 Death Certificate
(Death Certificates filed before 1916 and after 1947 are not currently available)
View Shopping Cart
Adobe Acrobat Reader