Giles M. Alexander

Giles M. Alexander, general merchant at Shabbona, was born in Paris, Oneida Co., N.Y., July 15 1823.  He is the son of Henry and Betsy (Gallup) Alexander, who soon after the birth of their son moved to Herkimer County, that State, and settled on a farm.  Mr. Alexander, of this sketch was brought up on his father's farm in Herkimer county. His years of minority were passed in farm labor and in attendance at the common schools.  In the fall of 1845, in Herkimer County, he was married to Miss Eve, daughter of Dennis and Elizabeth Clapsaddle.  She was born in Herkimer County, N.Y., May 28 1822.  Two children were the issue of their union, namely:  Elizabeth C., wife of M. V. Allen, of Shabbona, and Eva M., wife of W. W. Boslough, residing in Shabbona.  Mrs. Alexander died in the fall of 1858.

In the spring of 1854 Mr. Alexander, with his family, came to this county and located on section 34, Shabbona Township.  He entered at once on the improvements and cultivation of his land and continued to reside on it until 1875.  In the spring of that year he moved to Shabbona village and engaged in the drug business.  Two years later, sold his business to Captain M. V. Allen, and in October, 1878, engaged in the mercantile business which he has continued to the present time.  He carries a full line of general merchandise and is conducting a growing and prosperous business.

Mr. Alexander contracted a second marriage in Herkimer County, N. Y., in October, 1859, the lady chosen for his wife being a Miss Maryett, daughter of Lawrence and Margaret (Hess) Clapsaddle.

Politically, Mr. Alexander is a Republican.  He has held various public offices, was Supervisor of Shabbona Township two years and Justice of the Peace 11 years, and is present holding the latter office.  He is one of the oldest Masons in this vicinity and prominently instrumental in establishing Shabbona Lodge, No. 374, and was elected its first Master after the charter was organized.

Source:  Portrait and Biographical Album of DeKalb County Illinois; Chapman Brothers, 1885, Chicago, IL

Back