General Store, Turn of the Century Summer Kitchen, Caboose, Log School House
Lena Area Historical Society was organized in 1981. The museum building was built
and occupied in 1986 and contains local memorabilia. In 1987 the first log school
house was dismantled and moved to the museum site and reconstructed by a group
of volunteers. It has been furnished as it probably was when built, in 1849 by
Samuel F Dodds in his orchard. At the same time an old building was moved to the
site and converted into an old time blacksmith shop. In 1989 an Illinois Central
Caboose was purchased and moved to the site and is now being furnished with railroad
memorabilia. In 1996 a summer kitchen was moved to the site and has been furnished
with items of the day.
meetings are held the third Wednesday evening at the museum. There is always a
program about the past. Museum is open weekends May-Sept 1-4 and by appointment
other times. 815-369-4555
Yearly dues are $5.00
due each March.
Current officers are President, Bill
Engel, VP, Melvin Polhill, Sec, Donna Albrecht, Treasurer, Shirley Wennerstrom.
person Gary Price, firstname.lastname@example.org
Freeport 1896, Reprint. Hardbound with every name and place indexed.
$45 plus $4 postage.
for a Century and a Quarter 1827-1852 by Philip L. Keister. Reprint.
Hardbound with Surname index. $37.50 plus $4.50 postage.
Stephenson County History by Tilden. $40.00 plus $4.00 postage.
available: Lena postcards!
may be addressed to the Society at Lena Area Historical Society, P.O. Box 620,
Lena, IL 61048-0620
1998 - 2005 Lena Historical Society