Charles Consider Graves, Postmaster at McConnell's Grove, is also carrying on general merchandising at that point, and is a gentleman generally and favorably known as possessing all the requisites of a useful and valued citizen. During his long residence in this section he has contributed his full quota to the general welfare morally and intellectually. He is the friend of education, and one of the most devoted members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in which he has been Class-Leader, Steward, Trustee and Sunday-school Superintendent for many years. He is little past the prime of life, and capable of many more years of useful labor in the field where he has ever been a cheerful worker and exercised a helpful influence upon all around.
Our subject, who was born in the town of Peoria, Ill., Nov. 12, 1834, is the only son now living of Hon. Hubbard and Syntha A. (Roby) Graves, of whom a sketch will be found on another page in this Album. He was but an infant when he was brought by his parents to this county, where he was reared and educated in the pioneer schools. His first studies were conducted in an old log schoolhouse in Waddams Township, and as soon as old enough, in common with the other boys in that section of country at that period, his services in the summer season were utilized on the farm. His father, who had been injured while assisting to raise a log house, was unable to do heavy work and Charles became the mainstay of the family. He continued with his parents until twenty-six years of age, and was then united in marriage, Oct. 25, 1860, with Miss Mary M. Webster, who was a native of Lowell, Mass., and the daughter of Ebenezer and Mehitable (Merrill) Webster, who were natives of the Old Granite State. Her grandfather, David Webster, was the son of Col. Ebenezer Webster, of Salisbury, N.H., and a brother of Daniel Webster, the great statesman. David Webster after reaching manhood went over into Canada and settled on the shores of Lake Memphremagog, where he spent the remainder of his life, and reared a fine family of sons and daughters. Among these was Ebenezer, the father of Mrs. Graves, who followed in the foot-steps of his father, and engaged in agricultural pursuits. He was married in Canada and buried his first wife there. Afterward he removed to Lowell, Mass., where he was again married, and thence removed to North Groton, N.H. He left New England in 1854, and coming to Illinois located in Winslow township, this county, where he spent his declining years, his death taking place Oct. 27, 1875, after he had reached the age of eighty years. His wife, the mother of Mrs. Graves, is still living, and resides at McConnell's Grove in the seventy-fourth year of her age.
Mr. Graves after his marriage continued farming in Winslow Township until 1861, when he removed to Waddams Township, and located upon a farm which he occupied seven years, and subsequently took up his abode in Lena, where he engaged in the flour and feed business. In 1877 he established as a general merchant at McConnell's Grove, where for the last ten years he has conducted a profitable business and enjoys the patronage of the best people of that vicinity. He is a stanch Republican, and the fact that he retains his office under a Democratic administration speaks well for his standing among the people.
Mr. Graves and his estimable wife are the parents of two daughters, Annettie F. and Myrtie M., who with their mother are members and regular attendants of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The maternal grandparents of Mrs. Graves were Lemuel and Hannah (Thing) Merrill, the former a native of Stratton, and the latter of Brentwood, N.H. They died at North Groton.
Source: Portrait and Biographical Album of Stephenson County, Illinois; Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1885, pp 707-708.
Submitted by: Toni Campbell on 5/3/00