A veteran of the Civil War and the son of a veteran of the same war is John L. Mowry. He has been a resident of Shelby County, Iowa, since 1888, and for several years has been living retired in Tennant. John L. Mowry, son of John and Lydia (Bruebaker) Mowry, was born in Stephenson County, Illinois, August 21, 1846. His parents were natives of York and Lancaster counties, Pennsylvania, respectively. His father was born April 19, 1821, and his mother October 16, 1822, and were married in 1843. Some time later they moved to Stephenson County, Illinois, where they were living at the opening of the Civil War. He enlisted at Freeport, Illinois, in 1862 as a member of Company F, 92nd Regiment Illinoid Mounted Infantry, and served until the expiration of the enlistment. He was then transferred to the 65th Illinois Regiment, serving until the close of the war. He was mustered out and on the way home was accidentally killed. His widow lived until 1904.
There were twelve children born to John Mowry Sr. and wife, and it is interesting to note that all of these twelve children are still living: Henry F., Parkstown, South Dakota; John F.; William, Carroll County, Illinois; Christian, Carroll County, Illinois; Paul, Council Bluffs, Iowa; Mrs. Mary E. Long, Shelby County, Iowa; Daniel W., Stephenson County, Illinois; Oscar S., Shelby, Iowa; George, Stephenson County, Illinois; Mrs. Emma Barber, Carroll County, Illinois; Lincoln, Stephenson County, Illinois; and Grant, of South Dakota.
John Mowry Jr. received his education in the schools of Stephenson County, Illinois, and when old enough he offered his services to his country. He enlisted in 1864 at Lanark, Illinois, and became a member of Company D, 146th Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He served until the close of the war and was discharged at Camp Butler, Springfield, Illinois, in the summer of 1865. Immediately afterwards, he returned to his home in Stephenson County, Illinois, where he lived until 1868. Then he moved to South Dakota where he worked in a brick yard and later teamed and farmed in that state. He took charge of a large ranch near Yankton, South Dakota, and a few years later took a homestead claim in that state. He made many improvements upon his homestead and sold it at a profit, then with his brother-in-law bought 160 acres of timber in the same community. He cleared a portion of this farm, sold it, and again assumed the management of a large ranch. In 1888 Mr. Mowry came to Shelby County, Iowa, and rented land in Shelby Township, where he lived until 1897. In that year, he retired from active farm life and moved to Tennant, Iowa, where he still lives. He is the owner of 20 lots and has a comfortable home in Tennant, Iowa. Mr. Mowry was married in 1873 to Phoebe Jane Madera, who was born in Lycoming County, Pennsylvania, November 7, 1854. To this union six children have been born: Christian Grant; Mrs. Rosa Herman, who lives in Nebraska; Arthur, a section foreman at Tennant, Iowa; Nettie, at home; Mrs. Nellie Chipman of Shelby Township; and Mrs. Laura Miller, deceased.
Mr. Mowry is a stanch Republican but has never had political aspirations. He and his family are active members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and Mr. Mowry is a deacon of his church in Tennant at the present time. He is a loyal member of the Grand Army of the Republic post at Shelby and has always taken a deep interest in the welfare of old soldiers. Mr. Mowry has good health and is an optimist. He is a quiet man, and in his long residence here he has made a large circle of friends.
Past and Present of Shelby County Iowa, by Edward S. White; 1915, B.F. Bowen & Company, Inc., Page 1170-71
Submitted by: no relation on 1/13/02