Search billions of records on


 Stephenson County, Illinois


Table of Contents


Search This Site

powered by FreeFind

Site search Web search

What's New

August 8, 2006 - New Surnames Added

July 16, 2006 - New Biography Added

July 16, 2006 - Surname Page Updated

June 21, 2006 - 1 New Obituary Added

June 2, 2006 - 1 New Obituary Added

May 25, 2006 - 2 New Obituaries Added

May 25, 2006 - 1 New Photo Added

March 31, 2006 - 3 New Obituaries Added

March 31 2006 - 2 New Surnames Added

March 5, 2006 - New Link Added

January 24, 2006-Link to McLean County Genealogical Society Added

January 13, 2006-Website Design and Organization Updates

Past Updates


Mary Jane Monsell-Daughenbaugh

Pecatonica, ILL, Mrs. Mary Jane Daughenbaugh, widow of Frank Daughenbaugh passed away at a Rockford hospital Wednesday night at 10 o'clock, after an illness of three weeks. Mrs. Daughenbaugh's maiden name was Mary Jane Monsell and she was born Jan. 12, 1852, in Greenwood Furnace, Pa., coming west in 1859 with her parents, who settled in Illinois. She was married Feb. 13, 1872, to Frank Daughenbaugh, the ceremony being performed in Freeport. Mr. Daughenbaugh passed away July 12, 1933. Six sons were born to the Daughenbaughs, four dying in infancy. Surviving are; Charles H., and James F. Daughenbaugh of Pecatonica; eleven grandchildren, fifteen great grandchildren and one sister, Mrs. Ida Lincoln of Ridott. Mrs Daughenbaugh had resided in Pecatonica for the last 11 years, Ridott having been her home before she moved to the Village. Funeral arrangements have not been completed.

This Mary Jane (Monsell) Daughenbaugh was a daughter of Mary Ann Bush and her first husband Francis Monsell. She was a half sister of Charles Ross Morrison. Both Mary Jane and her husband Franklin are buried in the Ridott Cemetery.

Submitted by: James Morrison on 9 Feb 2000

Katherine (Schauer) Jacobs

Mrs. Edward F. Jacobs, 65, of 725 E. Iroquois St. died in her home Friday afternoon following a brief illness.

The former Katherine E. Schauer was born in Freeport July 31, 1890, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Schauer. She was married to Edward F. Jacobs who survives. A son and a daughter also survive, Kenneth E. , Freeport; and Mrs. Irma Weigman, Norwalk, Calif. In addition three sisters and a brother survive. Mrs. Homer Kerch, Freeport; Mrs. Elmer Russell, Milwaukee, Wis.; and Mrs. Alice Jackson, Whittier, Calif.; and Albert, of Freeport.

She was a member of St. John's Evangelical and Reformed Church and was educated in Freeport schools.

Five grandchildren also survive.

Service will be in in the Walker Mortuary at 1:30 p.m. Tuesday. The Rev. C. H. Uthlaut, pastor of St. John's Evangelical and Reformed Church, will officiate. Interment will be in Chapel Hill cemetery. Friends may call at the mortuary after 3 p.m. Sunday.

Freeport Journal Standard on Monday , Dec 3, 1955 on page 5 column 2. Submitted by: Vinita Lynch Shaw on 18 Mar 2002

Rudolph Leckington

Rudolph Leckington who has been in poor health for the last three years, passed away at his home two miles wist of Lena, at 1:15 O'clock p.m., Monday, Febuary 12th, 1917, at the age of 77 years, 4 months and 27 days. He was the second son of Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Leckington and was born near Mifflintown, Juniata (sic) County, Pennsylvania, September 15, 1839. In the spring of 1852, the family left Pennsylvania for Illinois, coming by canal and steamboat to Hennipin, IL. The trip required six weeks and within one hour after landing, the mother passed away, having taken the measles while on the trip. In August of the same year they came to Stephenson County, locating west of Lena and in the spring of 1869, he located on the farm where he spent the remainder of his life. He was united in marriage to Clarissa Mizner, Septembr 22, 1862. To this union were born five children, four of whom survive him. He united with the Amity Evangelical Lutheran church, January 8th, 1890 and remained a member until the end. He leaves to mourn his death, his wife, two sons, W.G. of Storm Lake, Iowa; Hollis H. on the home place, two daughters, Mrs. J.H. Krick of McClure, Pennsylvania and Mrs. Geo., L. Myers of Montrose, Colo, several brothers, seven grandchildren and many other relatives and friends. The funeral services took place Thursday afternoon at the Amity Lutheran church, Rev. B. F. Grenoble, pastor of the church conducting the services. Interment followed at the family lot in the Lena cemetery.

Submitted by: Julie Sturtevant-Wirgau on 9 Jul 1998

Mrs. William Lee - Mary Ellen 'Marie' (Pierce)

Funeral services for Mrs. William Mary Ellen (Marie) Lee of Seymour, Iowa, who formerly resided in Warren, was held at 1:00 p.m. Tuesday, December 5 in the Liggett-Randolph Funeral Home, Seymour, Iowa. The Rev. John Lorenz officiated. Burial was in Seymour Cemetery. Mrs. Lee did [sic] Sunday morning, December 3 in a Corydon Iowa hospital following a brief illness. She was employed by the Northwestern Telephone Compnay in Warren and Freeport for many years and at Sundstrand in Rockford, Illinois. Born January 24, 1896, in Nora, she was the daughter of James and Mary Ann (Sullivan) Pierce. She was married to William S. Lee October 26, 1961. Surviving are her husband and one sister, Mrs. Lester (Julia) White of Warren, Illinois, four nieces and three nephews including Gordon White of Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

Warren Sentinel-Leader, 14 Dec 1972. Submitted by: Nancy A White on 19 June 2001

Clarence Mellenberndt

Rockford, Ill. August 28 - Funeral services for Clarence Mellenberndt, 49, who died suddenly at 5:30 a.m. yesterday at his home, 1425 8th avenue, will be held at 2:30 p.m. Saturday at the Fred C. Olson mortuary, 1001 2nd avenue. Rev. E. G. Knock, pastor of Zion Lutheran church, will officiate and burial will be in Arlington Memorial park. Mr. Mellenberndt, whose death was attributed to a heart attack, was born in Rock City, Ill., May 13, 1893. He was employed as a machine inspector at Barber-Colman company, He was a member of the Eagles lodge and a World war verteran. Surviving are the widow, Mrs. Rachel Mellenberndt; a sister, Mrs. Mabel Crow; and a brother, Henry Mellenberndt, both of Freeport.

Freeport Journal Standard, Aug 28, 1942. Submitted by: e-mail on 2 Jan 2002

Polly Miller

Died Nov. 1st, 1879, Polly Miller, aged 72 years.

Mrs. Polly Salesbury was born in Cataraugus Co., N. Y. She was converted at the age of 16 years, and united with the M. E. church, of which she remained a member during her life. In 1823 she was married to Walter Miller. In 1854 she moved to Eleroy, Ills. She raised a family of 14 children, 6 of whom (3 sons and 3 daughters) survive her. She had 36 grandchildren, 28 of whom are now living, and 17 great grandchildren. She died in Howardsville, at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Janet Reber. She retained her christian faith and rational mind to the last. Her funeral discourse was preached by the Rev. H. F. Gilbert from Matt. v: 4--"Blessed are they that mourn for they shall be comforted."

From 'The Lena Star' 07 Nov 1879. Submitted by: Ida B. RODRICK WIESE on 6 Feb 2000

Sarah Ellen "Sadie" Young-Moore


A memorial service was conducted Sunday, Nov. 22, by Dr. George G.W Pennington in the Unitarian Church, Montclair, for Mrs. Sadie E. Moore of Cedar Grove who died Thursday, Nov. 19, in the Countryside Nursing Home in Wayne. Mrs. Moore was 101 years old. Born Dec. 3, 1879 in Rock City, Ill., Mrs. Moore lived most of her life in Freeport, Ill., before moving to Cedar Grove 12 years ago. A former teacher in a one-room school house, Mrs. Moore gave up teaching when she married. In a 1979 interview the Times, on the occasion of her 100th birthday, Mrs. Moore recalled being paid $18 a month at her first teaching job. "I'd drive to school in a horse-drawn buggy," Mrs. Moore had recalled. "The children would put the horse and carriage in the barn and it would stay there the whole day while I taught." During the interview, Mrs. Moore noted that she liked to see things change and had experienced no culture shock over the rapid advances in technology over the 100 years of her life. She had added however, that modern-day people were different from those who lived in the beginning of the century. "When you go into a new place, people won't welcome you like they used to," she had stated. "They used to be friendlier." Predeceased by her husband, Arthur, she is survived by her son, Ward and his wife, Viola, of Cedar Grove with whom she had lived for the last dozen years; two grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.

Obituary from the Verona-Cedar Grove (New Jersey) Times, Nov or Dec 1981. Submitted by: Randy Campbell on 17 Jan 2000

Memorial services for Mrs. Sarah Ellen "Sadie" Moore, 101, a former Freeport resident who resided with her son in Cedar Grove, N.J., and died there Thursday, will be at 2 p.m. Wednesday at Embury United Methodist Church. The Rev. William H. Blomberg will officiate. Her body was cremated. Burial will be in Oakland Cemetery. There will be no visitation. As a small child, she lived in Rock City and attended schools there. In1895, the family moved to Freeport. She graduated from Freeport High School, and taught in rural districts until marriage in 1907. She was a member of Embury United Methodist church, and the Women's society of Christian Service of the Church.

Born Dec. 3, 1879, in Rock Run Township, she was the daughter of Robert and Louisa (Robey) Young. She married Arthur R., Moore in 1907. He died July 3, 1948.

Surviving are one son, Ward Moore of Cedar Grove, N.J.: two frandchildren and two great-grandchildren; and a niece, Viola Borger of Freeport.

In addition to her husband, she was preceded in death by three sisters and two brothers.

A memorial fund has been established for Embury United Methodist Church.

Obituary from the Freeport Jounal-Standard, Nov. 1981. Submitted by: Randy Campbell on 17 Jan 2000

Mary Ann (Bush) Morrison

Ridott. Feb. 10 - Mrs. James Morrison died at her home, three miles north of Ridott, Feb. 5, 1900. She was born in Centre county, Pa., Dec. 10, 1827. Her maiden name was Mary Ann Bush. She was married to Frances Monsell Oct 1, 1845. To them two children were born. Wm. Monsell, who resides in Chicago, and Mrs. Mary J. Daughenbaugh of Rock Run. On June 1, 1855, she was married to James Morrison by Rev. Henry Baker at Lewistown, Mifflin county, Pa. Three children were born of this union, as follows; Chas. Morrison of Nebraska, Joseph Morrison and Mrs. Ida Dorman, who reside at their mother's home in Rock Run township. In her youth God called Mrs. Morrison into his fold and she became an earnest follower of her Savior. Three years ago she joined the Methodist church at Berlin. Her last hours on earth were cheered by the presence of her Master and the hope of soon entering that land where tears are wiped away, sighs and sorrows are forever past. All the children were present at her death bed except two. She was a loving mother, a kind neighbor and will be greatly missed in the community by her many friends. Funeral services were held at the home at 11 a,m. Thursday, Feb.8. Words of comfort and consolation were spoken by Rev. G Koser of Foreston, pastor of the Methodist church.

Freeport Daily Bulletin, Feb 13, 1900. *At the time that Mary Ann Bush was born, in 1827, Hollidaysburg was in Huntingdon County Pennsylvania. It is now in Blair County. Submitted by: Jim Morrison on 6 Feb 2000

Sudden Summons, Mrs. Levi Nuss Found Dead on the Bed Tuesday Morning by Her Grief-Stricken Husband

The death angel has again made one of its sudden and unlooked for calls in our midst, and deprived a home of one of its most loveable inmates, and leaving a devoted husband and a prattling babe, with hosts of relatives and friends, to mourn the taking away of a young wife and mother. Mr. Levi Nuss, who resides on the Spencer Shoesmith farm about two miles west of Lena, arose Tuesday morning about seven o'clock, and after awakening his wife, got up, built the fire and went out to do the chores. On returning to the house he heard his wife up stairs, and supposed she was dressing, as she had informed him that she would get up at once. He went out again to give a sick horse some medicine, and on returning, heard the baby crying up stairs, and on going up, he was horrified to find his wife dead lying partly on the bed, but with her feet on the floor. He did everything he could think of in his fright and sorrow to resuscitate her, but all in vain. In the full bloom of health, and no apparent cause, in the presence of her innocent babe, her spirit had passed over the river. The neighbors were soon alarmed, and doctors sent for. One of the physicians pronounced it a case of apoplexy and another blood-stopping of the heart.


Emma C. Daws, oldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Daws, was born in Kent township, December 13, 1868, and was 19 years and three months of age at the time of her death. She resided with her parents until Feb. 23, 1886, when she was united in marriage with Mr. L. A. Nuss, who with a son aged 11 months and 17 days, survive her. She was always considered a healthy woman, and on the morning of her death appeared in perfect health. The blow is crushing one to all concerned, and the sympathy of the community goes out to the relatives in this sad hour. The funeral services were held at the Lutheran church in Lena, Wednesday afternoon, Rev. J.H. Stough, officiating, and the remains were laid to rest in the Lena cemetery.

The bereaved husband, and relatives desire to express their thanks publicly to the neighbors and friends who so nobly rallied to their assistance in the dark hour of their trouble.

From The Lena Star, March 16, 1888. Submitted by: Sharon Nuss Custer on 4 Feb 1999

John Mahlon Nuss

The sythe of the grim reaper, Death, has been busy lately in gathering into the harvest the older members of our community. Among the last to be cut down was John Mahlon Nuss, who passed away at his home in this city, May 1, 1908. He was the son of Michael and Mary Nuss and was born at Greenville, Montgomery county, Pa., Feb. 11, 1827. On the 15, of February, 1851, he was united in holy wedlock to Miss Mary Krauss. This marriage was blessed in the gift of three children, Sarah Ann, Priscilla and Benjamin Franklin, all of whom have passed away. The mother was called to her reward June 6, 1855. January 25, 1861 he was again married, this time to Miss Leanna Andreas of Montgomery Co., Pa. Eight children came to their home, Levi A, Sarah, Oswin, John Mahlon, Leanna, Mary, Barbara and Emma. Of this number two have preceded the father to the better land, Oswin, Sept. 1, 1866, and Emma, Aug. 15, 1857. Mr. and Mrs. Nuss came to Jo Daviess county in 1863, moving from there to Lena where they have since resided. The deceased was baptized in infancy and reared by christian parents. At the proper age, he was confirmed as a member of the German Reformed church of East Greenville, Pa., and never severed his connection with that denomination. During his residence here, both himself and wife were faithful attendants of and contributors to Amity Lutheran church. On account of increasing feebleness, he was unable to attend the services of the sanctuary for sometime previous to his demise. At his request the pastor, Rev. C. Edward Derr, administered to him the holy sacrament on Good Friday. Mr. Nuss was a man whose christian character was shown by his life, and who had the respect and esteem of all who knew him. There remains to mourn his departure, a devoted wife, two sons, Levi A., Waddams, Ill.; John Mahlon, Brush, Colo.; and four daughters, Mrs. Sarah Ohlwine, Mrs. Leanna Byers, Mrs. Marry Dennis, Polo, Ill., and Miss Barbara Nuss, Lena, Ill. The funeral services took place at Amity Lutheran church at 10:30 Monday forenoon.The pastor preached a comforting and helpful sermon from the text, "Number now and see who has gone from us." Rev. F. Bahr followed with some appropriate remarks in German.

From The Lena Starr, May 7, 1908. Submitted by: Sharon Nuss Custer on 4 Feb 1999

Leanna Andres Nuss

Leanna Andres Nuss, daughter of David and Mary Snyder Andres, was born in Montgomery County, Pa., Dec. 19, 1838, and departed this life at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Anna Byers, Polo, Ill., Aug. 28, 1912. After spending her earlier days in her native state, she was joined in holy wedlock, on Jan. 24, 1860, to John Mahlon Nuss of that vicinity. They became the parents of eight children. Four years after their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Nuss came west, landing in Jo Daviess County, Ill. Some years afterward they removed to Lena, and it was from this latter residence that the husband was, on May 1, 1908, called to his eternal abiding place. After his death, the wife made her home with her children, where she was most kindly cared for. Mrs. Nuss was a woman who was possessed of may estimable traits of character. She was converted in early youth, and became a member of the German Methodist church. After her marriage she transferred her membership to her husband's church, the German reformed church. Her membership was gain changed, after the death of her husband, when she cast her lot with the church attended by herself and husband during their residence in Lena - Amity Lutheran church. She was a devoted member of this church, and regular attendant at the services, whenever her physical condition permitted. Six weeks prior to her demise she went to Polo to visit her daughters. A few weeks later she contracted a cold which developed into pneumonia. There survive to morn her loss two sons, Levi A. of Lena, Ill., and John Mahlon, of Fort Morgan, Colo., and four daughters, Mrs. Sarah Ohlwine, Mrs. Anna Byers and Mrs. Mary Dennis of Polo, Ill., and Miss Barbara Nuss of Lena, Ill. She also leaves eight grandchildren and one great-grandchild. One sister is still living, Mrs. Mary Yeakle of East Greenville, Pa. The remains were brought to Lena, Friday noon, and the funeral services were held that afternoon, at the home of her son, L.A. Nuss. Dr. C.E. Derr, pastor of Amity Lutheran church officiated, and a large number of relative and friends were present to pay the last tribute of respect to one who, for so long a time, had been a resident of the section.

Ida Alice (Moss) Osborn

Ida Alice MOSS OSBORN, daughter of Mr. and Ms. John W. Moss, was born April 15, 1860 in the state of Illinois near Freeport in Stevenson (sic) souncty and was called to her heavenly home October 31, 1939 at 10:35 a.m. at the home of her son, Henry, and wife at Hartley, Iowa.

The last 3 weeks preceding her death was spent visiting with her son, Henry and wife. Thursday morning, October 26, 1939 she was suddenly stricken with a stroke from which she failed to recover. Up to the time of her last illness she had enjoyed fairly good health.

On July 8, 1877, she was united in marriage to John W. Osborn of Freeport, Illinois. For 3 years they lived on a farm east of Freeport, ill. In the spring of 1880 they immigrated to Iowa and settled on a farm near Cherokee, Iowa, in Aftown Township. They lived in this vicinity up to the time of her husband's death which occurred the 29th day of June, 1931, after which she made her home with her sons, John and Lester Osborn of Cherokee.

To this union 8 children were born. Two daughters preceded thier mother in death. Mourning her loss are four sons and two daguthers: Henry T. Osborn, Hartley iowa; Mrs. Mary Etta Hunnewell of Los Angeles, California; George E. Osborn, of Fairmont, ND; John E. Osborn of Cherokee, Iowa; Mrs. Julia Hicks of Lafayette, Ind; Lester C. Osborn of Cherokee, Iowa. Two sons-in-law and two daugthers-in-law, 27 grandchildren, 12 great grandchildren, many other relatives and a host of friends also survive. She had always been a faithful wife, kind and loving mother, having accepted Jesus as her personal Saviour and friend when just a young girl and all through her life had been a close follower of her Savior.

Funeral services were held at 1:30 o'clock Nov 3, 1939 at the 7th Day Adventist Church. Rev. Arhibold of Sioux City will be in charge. Burial will be in Afton cemetery. Appleyard & Boothby Funeral Home is in charge. Pallbearers wer Lee Irwin, Lewis Munson, Fred Felton, John Kelly, Roy Sanford and Laurence Davis.

Cherokee Daily Times. No Location of Paper: assume it is from Cherokee County IA. No date given: Must have been post 31 Oct 1939). Submitted by: Karen Zach on 12 June 2003

John W Osborn

John W. OSBORNE (sic) -- Spring Township -- This community was shocked Monday morning by the death of John Osborne one of the pioneer settlers of this community.

John William Osborne was born near Freeport, Illinois March 14, 1854 and passed away at his home near Peterson, Iowa, June 29, 1931 at about 8 o'clock in the monring, after a lingering illness of 3 years.

He was united in marriage to Miss Ida MOSS at Freeport, Illinois July 8, 1877. This union was blessed with 8 children, four sons and four daughters. Two daughters preceded their father in death. In July of the year 1889, Mr. Osborne came to Iowa with his family and settled on a farm in Cherokee county. Mr. Osborne was a very successful farmer all his life.

He is survived by his sorrowing wife, Mrs. Ida Osborne and six children, four sons and two daguthers, Henry of Hartley Iowa; George of Fairmont, ND; John E of Peterson, Iowa; Mrs. Jess Hicks of Lafayetet, Ind and Lester of Peterson, Iowa. He is also survived by 3 daughters-in-law, two sons-in-law, 29 grandchildren and a host of friends. Two sisters preceded him in death within the past 10 months, he being the last of the family.

Funeral services were held Wednesday at the home at 1:00 o'clock and at one thirty in the Congregational Church at Peterson.

A mixed quartette composed of Mr. and Mrs. Kephart; Mrs. Jarnigan and Dr. Gaston sang, "Shall We Gather at the River," and "God Will Take Care of You." Pallbearers were: Ira Small; Roy Starford; John Rickers; Rance Lee; Fred Neibuhr and Jim Libolt. He was laid to rest in Afton cemetery.

Cherokee Daily Times 9 July 1931. No Location of Paper: assume it is from Cherokee County IA. Submitted by: Karen Zach on 12 June 2003

Peter Pickle

Peter Pickle, an old and esteemed resident of Cedarville died today after a long illness. He was a retired farmer. His wife (Martha) is reported to be dying also. Mr. Pickel was born in Union County, Penn. and came west and settled in Lancaster in 1849. He was married in 1855. He leaves no children.

Freeport Daily Bulletin Sept. 19, 1899 page 1. Submitted by: M. F. Pickell on 26 Jan 1999

On Tuesday of last week in Cedarville, Peter Pickle died. Born Union County, Penn. came in 1849 to Lancaster this county, wife and nephew M.D. Aikey survive.

Der Sonntags-Gast Sept. 23, 1899 page 8 and Freeport Daily Journal. Submitted by: M. F. Pickell on 26 Jan 1999

Frances "Evaline" Prince-Rice

93 year old Lena woman expires

Mrs. Evaline Rice, widow of the late Joseph Rice and a pioneer resident of Stephenson county passes away at a Freeport hospital Saturday morning at the age of 93 years. Her passing was due to the infirmities of old age she having been confined to bed for the past three months. Frances Evaline Prince was born in the town of Truxton, Courtland county, New York, june 11 1833, being a daughter of Charles and Alzena Prince. Her childhood was spent at Truxton and on February 10 1850, she was united in marriage to Joseph Rice. They came to this section shortly after their marriage, the husband taking up a tract of land consisting of 300 acres and located near Lena, part of the tract still being owned by Wm. A. Rice. When they came to this section Mr. Rice and the older children traveled overland while Mrs. Rice and the younger children traveled by rail. Mrs. Rice was known as a very witty and bright as well as a handsome woman, her sparkle, both in apperance and speech, remaining with her to the end. For many years she practiced nursing, having been very efficient at that profession. She is survived by the following children: Frank Rice, East Dubuque, Ill., Burdett Rice, Charles City, Ia., Mrs Edith M. Staver, Freeport, George Rice, Rockford, Myrtle Graham, Batavia, and one step-son William Rice, Lena. There are also thirty eight grandchildren and a number of great grandchildren. The husband the the following children preceeded her in death: Recina Allard, Charles Rice, Edwin Rice, Winnie Rice, and Annett and Ira Rice, the last two having been step children. Funeral services were conducted from the Wagner funeral home, Freeport at 1:30 o'clock Monday afternoon. Rev. Max Cook of Woodland Wash., officiated at the services. Six grandsons acted as pallbearers. Interment was made in the Christian Hollow cemetery beside her husband who passed away about 40 years ago.

THE LENA WEEKLY STAR - Lena, IL July 15 1926. Submitted by: R. Lamb on 11 Jun 1998

Almira Waite-Robey


Mrs. Levi Robey died on Monday afternoon of old age at the family homestead in this township. She was one of the best known women in Stephenson County and its oldest settler. She has lived in the county from almost its first settlement. She was the widow of another pioneer, the late Levi Robey. Her maiden name was Almira Waite, and she was born in Courtland County, New York, July 18, 1813, making her age nearly eighty-seven years. She was married to Levi Robey in Washington Township, Scioto County, Ohio, December 26, 1833. The following year, in April, accompanied by his wife and his mother's family, Levi Robey set out for the praries of Illinois. He made the trip via the Ohio, Mississippi, and Illinois rivers, and the balance of the trip via hired teams. While passing through Dixon on their way to this county they were set upon by a band of Indians, but escaped with their lives. Soon after his arrival in this county Mr. Robey entered a claim in what is now Waddams Township, and on St. Valentine's day , 1835, proclaimed himself the first settler in that township, and there the family has resided ever since, both Mr. and Mrs. Robey dying at the old homestead, he passing away a few years ago. They first lived in a log cabin and their first market place was Galena, forty-five miles distant, and Chicago was as yet unheard of. The family grew to importance with the growth of the county, and always maintained a prominent place in the community, where they spent so many years of their lives. Both were honest and consistent members of the Methodist Church in Stephenson County. She was a very worthy woman and universally esteemed. The surviving children are: William Robey, Warren; Mrs. Robert Young, Freeport; Mrs. J.L. Hartsough, Nora; and L.W. Robey, who resides on the old homestead in Waddams Township. The funeral was held at ten o'clock this morning.

Submitted by: Randy Campbell on 17 Jan 2000

DIED (Amanda McDonald-Robey)

In Waddams township, on Friday March 19, 1869, Mrs. Amanda, wife of Cyrus A. Robey, Esq., of typhoid fever, age 24 years, 4 months and 21 days. Mrs. Robey was a rather weak constitution and this terrible disease was more than her system could stand. She was a pure Christian, had been a member of the Presbyterian church for a number of years; and when she knew she was going to that home where suffering and sorrow never enters, she called her husband to her side and said, "Do not grieve for me--I am not afraid to die," and then requested him to give her little daughter, six months old, to his mother to bring up, departed this life calmly and hopefully. "e;Who would not wish to die like those Whom God's own spirit deigns to bless? To sink into that soft repose Then wake to perfect happiness?"e; Mrs. Robey was the daughter of Mr. John and Mrs. Samantha McDonald, of Jo Daviess County, Ill.

Submitted by: Randy Campbell on 17 Jan 2000

Amy Robey


The truth of the assertion that the old must die and the young may die has been demonstrated in the neighborhood during the past week by the death of Mr. George Lutts, a man of 60, and Miss Amy Robey, a lovely young girl of 19. For over half a year poor Amy fought against that grim destroyer, consumption, with all the power and vigor of her young life, but it was of no avail; the final summons had come and must be obeyed in spite of the heroic struggle of her youthful constitution and the ceaseless prayers of a vast host of friends. During her long illness no murmur of complaint escaped her lips. Life was very sweet to one of her gentle disposition and pleasant surroundings, but if it were god's will she was ready to go, for if there ever was a Christian, Amy was one. She set her house in order and gave up the unequal struggle during forenoon of Wednesday and sank in to the dreamless, eternal sleep of death on earth to awaken in a more perfect and beautiful life in the realms above. The funeral was one of the largest, most impressive and saddest that ever occurred here, as she was a great favorite among both young and old, the little ones of her Sunday School Class weeping as if their little hearts were broken. Her aged grandparents, Uncle Levi Robey and wife, who raised her from infancy, her mother dying when she was but a few days old, can scarcely become reconciled to their terrible loss.

Submitted by: Randy Campbell on 17 Jan 2000

Levi Robey

UNCLE LEVI IS NO MORE - Death has claimed Mr. Robey, of McConnell, after a long and severe illness

HE WAS A KING OF PIONEERS - His history was indelibly linked with that of Stephenson County

The Funeral. Uncle Levi Robey, of McConnell, died last evening at 9:15 o'clock, after a long and severe illness in the 87th year of his age. This news comes not unexpected, because for the last few weeks he has been hovering between life and death. Kind friends and able physicians combined love and skill to save him, but were unable to do so. No man in the county was so well known, nor more highly respected than he. His force of character was remarkable, his excellent disposition and kindness of heart were well known, his generosity and industry were frequently commented on. He was one of that race of pioneers who are fast sinking away. He came with others to a mighty wilderness and a great plain and helped build for posterity. Their work was well done. Great cities rose on the banks of the old Pecatnica , homes were established where the Sacs and Foxes once roamed and the forest fell under the woodmen's blows to make a place for smiling harvest fields. "Uncle" Levi Robey has marveled at these strange transformations and the rising generations have been glad of the opportunity to honor him. At the old settlers' meeting his face was a familiar one and many are there who have listened to his golden words of reminiscence. Stephenson county parts with Levi Robey regretfully. His name will ever be linked with her glorious history and all the coming generations will recall his memory and call it blessed. He lived the simple life of an American nobleman. The city had no charm for him. The quiet of his country home was music to his soul. All who called were entertained hospitably, as in the olden time when the settlements were few and far between. He was perhaps the oldest living settler in Stephenson county. He did more than any other man in the organization of the county and was ever active in promoting its progress. Mr. Robey was born in Washington township, Scioto Co., Ohio, October 22, 1807. His father, William Robey, was a native of Maryland, and his grandfather, also named William, served under Gen. Clark during the Revolutionary war, and assisted in driving the British from the soil of his native state. After this trouble had ended in the victory of the colonists, William Robey, Sr., in company with five or six others, repaired to Kentucky and made a claim, put up a log cabin and contemplated returning home for the winter, but before completing their preparations the entire party, with one exception, was murdered by the Indians, including William Robey. He had been married, but his wife had not accompanied him to Kentucky. She was afterward married to Philip Moore, of Maryland. After peace had been declared between England and the colonies the Moore family removed to the Northwestern Territory and located in that portion now included in the state of Ohio. The journey over the mountains was made with pack-horses, and the father of our subject located at the mouth of the Scioto river, which was then designated as the "Nile of America." The Robey family were among the earliest settlers of that region. Mr. Moore also cleared a farm and there spent the last years of his life. Grandmother Moore survived her husband several years, and also died in what is now Jo Daviess county in Illinois. William Robey, Jr., the father of our subject, was but four years old when his parents removed to the Northwestern territory, and in common with the others was conveyed on a pack horse across the Alleghany mountains. As soon as old enough he engaged in boating on the Scioto and Ohio rivers, and upon reaching manhood became the owner of several boats, by which means he transported produce from Portsmouth to other points. During one of his expeditions he purchased a pony, and riding across the country, visited his old friend, Daniel Boone, in Kentucky. He remained a resident of Scioto county, Ohio, until 1834, then disposing of his interests in that region, he started in the month of June for the praries of Illinois, whither his family had preceded him a few weeks. They joined him in Hennepin, where they spent the summer, and in the fall came to that part of Jo Daviess county which is now included in Stephenson. They first stopped at Brewster Ferry, which now lies in Winslow Township, and renting the Brewster farm, carried on agriculture and operated the ferry across the Pecatonica river until 1836. Afterward Mr. Robey made a claim in Buckeye Township, on the present site of the village of Cedarville. He secured his title as soon as the land came into market and lived there several years, then crossing the Mississippi, went down into Texas and located twelve or fourteen miles north of Austin and not far from Round Rock. There he improved the farm which he occupied until his death in 1877, after he had reached the advanced age of ninety-eight years. His wife, the mother of our subject, was Mary, the daughter of Judge John Collins, one of the earliest pioneers of Scioto county, Ohio. She also died in Texas. The parental family included twelve children, eight of whom grew to mature years. Levi Robey was educated in the subscription schools of his native county, which were conducted in a log cabin with puncheon floor, slabs for seats and desks, and greased paper for window panes. His studies were conducted mostly in the winter season, and as soon as large enough his services were utilized on the farm. In due time he developed into a pedagogue, following teaching, however, but a short time, and afterward traveled over the country selling clocks. He was married when twenty-six years of age, to Miss Almira Waite, the wedding taking place at the home of the bride in Washington Township, Ohio, Dec. 26, 1833. The following April, accompanied by his wife and his mother's family, he started for Illinois, proceeding via the Ohio, Illinois, and Mississippi rivers, and then by hired teams traveled sixteen miles further, where Mr. Robey rented a tract of land and remained until fall. He then started for Jo Daviess County, equipped with teams of oxen and horses. At Dixon they met a party of Indians who frightened one of the oxen so that he broke loose from the yoke, but was caught after much chasing. Soon after his arrival Mr. Robey entered a claim on section 1, of what is now Waddams Township, and on St. Valentine's Day, Feb. 14, 1835, signalized himself as the first settler of the township. It had not yet been subdivided but afterward became a part of Stephenson county. Mr. Robey made it his first business to put up a log cabin, which was located on the northwest quarter of section 1, and which he occupied with his family twelve years. In 1847 he sold out and purchased his present homestead. The nearest market during these pioneer days was at Galena, forty-five miles away, and Chicago for several years was relatively unheard of. The postage on a letter was twenty-five cents which often proved a larger sum that a settler could raise. Had it not been for the people required to operate the lead mines the settlers would probably have been compelled to transport their produce even farther than Galena. Mr. Robey watched with intense satisfaction the gradual development of the rich resources of his state, and was no unimportant factor in the building up of Waddams township. He was uniformly successful in his labors, meeting with ample reward for his toil and sacrifices. He became identified with local matters at the beginning, and was one of the commissioners appointed to lay off the townships in this county. He represented the people of Waddams on the county board of supervisors seven years, and served as justice of the peace, receiving his appointment from Gov. Duncan. There were few enterprises connected with the public welfare in which he was not consulted and no man took a warmer interest in the prosperity of the country around him. He cast his first presidential vote for Andrew Jackson, and since that time has been a staunch supporter of democratic principles. The wife of our subject, who has been the cheerful and patient sharer of his fortunes for a period of more than sixty years is the daughter of Asa and Lydia (Kendal) Waite. Of her marriage with our subject there were born five children, of whom the record is as follows: William A. operates a farm in Nora, Ill., Louisa E. is the wife of Robert Young, a farmer of Rock City; Cyrus A. is a resident of California; Mary A. married James L. Hartsough and lives at Nora; Levi Woodbury occupies the homestead. Our subject and his wife are connected with the Methodist Episcopal Church, Mrs. Robey being the oldest member of that church in this county. There are thirteen grandchildren left as follows: William W. Young of Freeport; Elmira V., McConnell; Della E., Margaret J., and Sadie Young, Rock City; Mrs. Jennie Marshall, Frank, Lulu, Anna and James Hartsough, Nora; Roy, Nellie and Eunice Robey, McConnell. There is but one great-grandchild, Willard Marshall. Although 81 years old, Mrs. Robey is in good health. Mr. and Mrs. Robey celebrated their sixtieth marriage anniversary December 26, 1893. The funeral will be held tomorrow morning at 11 o'clock.

Freeport, Illinois newspaper 27 March, 1895. Submitted by: Randy Campbell on 17 Jan 2000



The funeral of the late Levi Robey was held at 11 o'clock this morning from the home. There was an immense concourse of people present. The funeral director4s were Robert Leamon of Lena and Cart Solace of McConnell. The pall bearers were S. Fair, S. Stiles, P. Klechner, E. Lephard, A. Stoll, and J. Stocet. Elder Moore of Polo officiated and paid a glowing tribute to the life and works of the deceased.

ibid, 29 March, 1895. Submitted by: Randy Campbell on 17 Jan 2000

Levi Woodbury Robey


Levi Woodbury Robey died at his home in this city, Sunday night, Sept. 11, 1927, aged 76 years, 2 months and 15 days. The death of Mr. Robey was tragic. He thought he heard marauders in his melon patch about 9 P.M. and, taking his shotgun he went from the house. After a couple of hours interval elapsed and he had not returned his wife became alarmed and tried to find him but could not. She then called Hiram, and he found him lying dead in his melon patch. Deputy Sheriff John Sheridan and coroner Ray Pharo were immediately notified and they went to the Robey home, accompanied by Wm. James. It is said that Mr. Robey had fired two shots into the air to scare the intruders, and had then apparently started towards his house. He was found lying on his back, the gun across his right shoulder, and had apparently been dead some time. No marks of violence were found, and the supposition is that the excitement and unusual exertion was too much for a man of his advanced age. Mr. Robey was born in Illinois, June 16, 1851. He grew to manhood there and on Dec. 21, 1873 was married to Lucy Trotter who died Jan 26, 1884. Three children of this union survive their father: Mrs. Nell Gibler, Mrs. Lyman E. Johnson, and Leroy S. Robey. On July 21, 1895, Mr. Robey was married to Susan R. Carter, and in 1901 they moved to New Lisbon. In 1914 they bought a home in Mauston, and has resided here since then. Mr. Robey was the youngest of six brothers and sisters, three of whom survive: Wm. Robey, 91, of Warren, Ill., Mrs. Ida Young, 88, of Freeport, Ill., Mrs. Mary Hartsough, 79, of Nora, Ill. Wm. Robey, of Warren, Ill., has the distinction of being the first white child born in Stephenson County, Ill. of record. Up to the time of Mr. Robey's death there were four generations of his immediate family living: himself, his daughter, Mrs. Nell Gibler, 50, of California, her daughter, Mrs. Lela Lofthus, 28, and Virginia Lee Lofthus. A fine type man was Mr. Robey. Firm in his convictions and true to his ideals, he occupied a place in the community which is always accorded men of that type. He commanded the respect and esteem of everybody and the labor of his long life had been crowned with success. His comfortable home was one of the most noticeable on the street. The funeral was held at his home. Rev. Mr. Graves officiating. Burial was in the Mauston cemetery.

Submitted by: Randy Campbell on 17 Jan 2000



Mrs. Sarah E. Robey, widow of the late William W. Robey, died at the residence of Charles Morgan at 6 o╠clock last night. The funeral will take place tomorrow afternoon at 2:30 o╠clock. Rev. N.H. Axtell to officiate.Mrs. Robey was one of the pioneers of the county, having come here with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Robert Young, in 1839, from her native place, Union county, Pennsylvania, where she was born in 1828. The Youngs located near Cedarville, and became one of the best known families in this section. One, Capt. William Young, a brother of Mrs. Robey, served with distinction in the war of the rebellion, passing away a few years ago. Mrs. J.H. Graham of this city; Mrs. Thomas Bell of Cedarville are sisters, and Robert Young of Freeport and T.B. Young of Rock City, are brothers of the deceased.On a farm near Dakota, Mrs. Robey was married to W.W. Robey, who came to this county in 1834, and who was widely known and highly respected. He was elected sheriff in 1862 and held the office six years; he was afterwards a government revenue collector, and died in 1890. W.W. Robey, postmaster at Pipestone, Minn. is a son, and Mrs. Charles Morgan, and Mrs. James F. Burns of this city, are daughters of Mrs. Robey.For a year or more Mrs. Robey had not enjoyed good health, and during her illness she was given every possible care and attention. A member of the Methodist church since childhood, a kind, noble hearted woman, she will not only be mourned by her relatives, but all who enjoyed her acquaintance will regret her demise.

From a Freeport, Illinois newspaper, 27 June, 1902. Submitted by: Toni Campbell on May 3, 2000


W.A. Robey passed peacefully away Sunday, October 9, 1927, at his home in Warren, Illinois. Funeral services were conducted from the home on Wednesday afternoon, October 12th at 2 O'clock by Rev. P.L. Smith of the Warren Presbyterian church. The deceased was a member of one of the oldest families in Stephenson county, his parents being Mr. and Mrs. Levi Robey, who in April 1834 left Ohio for the praries of Illinois. They arrived in Stephenson county and entered a claim in Waddams township in 1835. It was here that W.A. Robey, their first child, was born September 21, 1836, and grew to young manhood. He was married in 1862 to Miss Catherine Hartsough who lived but a few years after her marriage. On December 2, 1880 he was married to Miss Clara Knight who survives. For several years they resided in Nora, Illinois, later moving to Warren, where they have since resided. Mr. Robey had been in poor health for the past year. It was a great hardship for him when he was no longer able to do the daily errands around town and about the house. But in his helplessness he was very patiently cared for by his wife, who though herself no in good health, was always ready to minister, without thought of her own comfort. Mr. Robey was a man of good principles and noble character and will be missed by a large circle of friends. His widow and two sister survive: Mrs. L.E Young, residing in Freeport, and Mrs. Mary Hartsough of Nora, Illinois. A brother, L.W. Robey passed away just one month ago at Mauston, Wisconsin.

Submitted by: Randy Campbell on 17 Jan 2000

Jacob S. Reisinger

Jacob S. Reisinger, superintendent of the county poor farm of Stephenson county, Ill., was brutally murdered by a lunatic named William Welham, last Saturday. Mr. Reisinger and a farm hand were riding on the front seat of a wagaon, the lunatic standing up behind them. Welham, without warning, picked up the axe and brought the sharp edge down with tremendous force a dozen times on the head and body of the victim. the horses ran away and the lunatic escaped with the axe in his hand. He has since been arrested.

Darlington Journal (LaFayette County WI) 12 May 1890 V 5 No. 26. Submitted by: Lady Katherine Hebenstreit 7 March 2002

Funeral of W. B. RIDDLE

Funeral services for William B. RIDDLE, who died Wednesday at his home, 501 S. Exchange, were held Friday afternoon at 3 o'clock at the Christian church. Mrs. Max HARRIS and Mrs. Stanley MADISON sang, accompanied by Miss Buelah WEYLER. Rev. Claude G. LARGE was in charge of the services. Interment was in the Maplewood cemtery. Pallbearers were Peter HINES, John A. SCHEEL, J. W. BOLTON, A. H. SMITH, E. A. ROWLAND and G. L. MILLER.

William Baird RIDDLE was born August 22, 1869, at Freeport, Illinois. He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Samuel B. RIDDLE. He came to Emporia, Lyon Co., Ks. with his parents in 1880 and has lived in and around Emporia since that time. In 1889 he was married to Lizzie E. BROWN.

Surviving Mr. RIDDLE are two sons, Harry RIDDLE, Ventura, Ca. and Samuel RIDDLE, Emporia; two daughters, Mrs. Ray HOUSELY, Emporia, and Mrs. Charles GOODELL, Galesburg, Illinois; two sisters, Mrs. Elizabeth PARKER, Emporia, and Mrs. Enos KYLE, Plymouth; three brothers, Sylvester RIDDLE, Emporia, Arthur RIDDLE, Emporia and Walter RIDDLE, Humboldt. He is also survived by six grandchildren.

Emporia Gazette (Emporia, Lyon County, Kansas) 2 Nov 1929. Submitted by: Marie Cook 10 Oct 2001

Mrs. Arthur RIDDLE Dies

Mrs. Arthur A. RIDDLE, 47, died at 1:25 o'clock this morning at her home, 401 Carter, from heart disease. She had been sick 14 months. Funeral services will be held at 2 o'clock Thrusday afternoon at the Roberts-Blue funeral chapel. Rev. J. C. BROGAN, Pastor of the Grace Methodist church, will conduct the services and interment will be in Haworth cemetery.

Mrs. RIDDLE's maiden name was Miss Etta L. WOODS. She was born September 23, 1884, in Freeport, Ill. She was married to Arthur A. RIDDLE, December 10, 1902, at Freeport. The family came to Lyon County in 1919, and to Emporia in 1923. Mrs. RIDDLE was a member of the Evangelical church of Freeport.

Mrs. RIDDLE is survived by Mr. RIDDLE; 11 children, Mrs. Glen ULM, of Argentine; Mrs. Dave BOLING, of Saffordville; Mrs. Harold STONEBRAKER and Mrs. Elmer SILL, of Emporia, and Marjorie, Dorothy, Violet, Irene, Etta, Afred and Robert, of the home; her father, W. H. WOODS, of Freeport; one sister, Mrs. Hazel WECKERLY, of Freeport; 11 brothers, James WOODS, of Springfield, Ill.; Lawrence WOODS, of Rocky Ford, Colorado; Lloyd WOODS and Harry WOODS, of Byron, Ill.; and Douglas, Clyde, Leonard, Walter, Dan, Merle and W. C. WOODS of Freeport.

Emporia Gazette (Emporia, Lyon County, Kansas) 26 Apr 1932. Submitted by: Marie Cook 10 Oct 2001

Mary (Schauer) Russell

Mrs. Mary Russell, 67, of 1304 Grandview blvd., died last night at Waukesha Memorial hospital after a short illness. Survivors include her husband, Elmer; one daughter, Mrs. Richard Boyes of Waukesha; two sons, Charles and Albert Jr. of La Mesa, Calif.; one brother, Albert Schauer of Freeport, Ill.; and two sisters, Mrs. Anna Kerch of Ann Arbor, Mich., and Mrs. Alice Jackson of Freeport. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Saturday at Erling Larsen Funeral home. The Rev Howard Kusler will officiate. Burial will be in a family lot at Prairie Homes cemetery. Friends may call after 4 p.m. today.


Death Notice; Social Security and Death Index

Submitted by: Vinita Lynch Shaw on 18 Mar 2002

Albert C Schauer

Albert C. Schauer, 725 E. Iroquois St., died this morning in Veterans Administration Hospital, Madison, Wis. following a brief illness.

Mr. Schauer was a tool and die maker at Burgess Division-Gould Inc., retiring several years ago. He was a World War I veteran, a long time member of St. John United Church of Christ and a member of Freeport Consistory and American Legion.

Born in Freeport, Jan 19, 1894, he was the son of Charles and Regina (Schlamp) Schauer.

Surviving is a sister, Mrs. Homer (Anna) Kerch of California. He was preceded in death by a brother and four sisters.

Funeral service will be at 1:30 p.m. Saturday in Walker Mortuary. The Rev. James A. Powers Jr., associate pastor of St. John Church, will officiate. Burial will be in Oakland Cemetery.

Friends may call at the mortuary after 4 p.m. Friday.

FREEPORT JOURNAL STANDARD Wed Aug 22, 1973. Submitted by: Vinita Lynch Shaw on 18 Mar 2002

Charles F. Schauer

Charles F. Schauer, 79, an employee of the Illinois Central railroad company for a period of 25 years died suddenly at his home, 725 East Iroquois street, at 7:30 o'clock Sunday morning. His death resulted from a heart attack.

Funeral services will be conducted at St. John's Evangelical church at 2 o'clock Tuesday afternoon. Rev. Edwin A. Arends will conduct the services and interment will be made in the city cemetery. The body will remain at the Walker mortuary, West Main street, until 12:30 o'clock Tuesday, when it will be taken to the church.

Mr. Schauer was born in Nurtingen, Germany, Nov 11, 1858, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Frederick Schauer. He came to the United States at the age of 22 settling in Freeport in 1880. He was united in marriage to Regina Schlamp in 1886. His wife preceded him in death in 1901. The following children survive: Edward Schauer, Mrs. Katherine Jacobs, Mrs. Annie Kerch, Albert Schauer, all of Freeport; Mrs. Josephine Kroer, Mrs. Mary Russell, Waukesha, Wis; Mrs. Alice Jackson; Rockford. There are also eleven grandchildren and one great grandchild.

Mr. Schauer was confirmed in Germany and after coming to Freeport, united with St. John's Evangelical church, of which he had been a faithful member. He was well and favorably know. For twenty-five years Mr. Schauer had been employed in the car department of the Illinois Central railroad company.

FREEPORT JOURNAL STANDARD July 12, 1937. His sister Friederike probably came over with him at that time: (1880).

Death Certificate and Death Index

Submitted by: Vinita Lynch Shaw on 18 Mar 2002

Regina (Schlamp) Schauer


Mrs. Chas. F. Schauer Found Dead at Her Home on Iroquois Street--An Inquest Held

Mrs. Charles F. Schauer was found dead at her home on Iroquois street at about 7 o'clock Sunday morning. The lady was the wife of a well-known Illinois Central Employee, and the news of her sudden demise was a great shock to her family as well as to the entire neighborhood, for Mrs. Schauer was held in high esteem by her neighbors and friends.

The thirteen year old son of Mr. Schauer was the first to discover the death of his mother. He carries papers and it has been his mother's custom to arouse him for this task every morning. Sunday morning he woke up and thought it was time for him to be off, and concluded that his mother had overslept. He aroused his father and asked where his mother was. Mr. Schauer replied that she was probably sleeping with one of the children. The boy went down stairs and in the parlor he saw the body of his mother attired only in her night dress lying prone on the floor close to the stove. Her face had turned blue and the lad was very much frightened at her appearance. He aroused his father and they picked up the body and placed it on the lounge. It was then cold, but as the lady had been subject to sinking spells the husband thought at first she was not dead, but he was soon convinced to the contrary.

Mrs. Schauer retired the night before in apparently good health, but just what time she went to bed her husband doesn't know. They remained up until about ten o'clock, when Mrs. Schauer urged her husband to go to bed as he looked tired. She said she would not go for awhile as she had a baking of bread in the oven and she would have to wait and take care of it, that it might be 12 o'clock before she could retire. Soon after that Mr. Schauer went to bed and never woke up until his son aroused him in the morning. He said that his wife had been subject to sinking spells and would be unconsious for a half hour at a time. She also complained frequently of heart trouble and was afraid that she would die suddenly some day.

Coroner Peck was informed of the sudden death of Mrs. Schauer and he held an inquest over the body Sunday morning. Mr. Schauer testified to the facts given above and Mrs. James Farnum and Mrs. Margaret Schmidt, neighbors of the dead woman, testified to the fact that they had known that she was subject to sinking spells and had trouble with her heart. They said that she was a woman who attended well to her children and household duties and was always cheerful.

Dr. Mease, who held a post mortem examination testified tha the heart of the deceased was in splendid condition and that death was due to appoplexy, and verdict to that effect was rendered by the jury.


Mrs. Schauer's maiden name was Miss Regina Schlamp, and she was born in Baden, Germany, April 23, 1866, coming to this country when a mere child. Her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Michael Schlamp reside in Silver Creek township. The lady was married to Chas. F. Schauer in this city fourteen years ago, and seven children were born to them. In addition to her husband and children the deceased leaves her parents, a brother and a sister. Mrs. Schauer was a devoted wife and mother and was well liked in the neighborhood where she has lived for the past nine years. She was a good neighbor an dher death has cuased great sorrow in that neighborhood.

FREEPORT DAILY JOURNAL on Monday, Feb 4, 1901, Page 4. Submitted by: Vinita Lynch Shaw on 18 Mar 2002

Louis Schlamp

INSTANT DEATH BY DISCHARGE OF GUN - Louis Schlamp Accidentally Killed At The Rosenstiel Farm

Part of skull blown away by full charge of shot gun

Hammer Was Caught in the Wires of Fences at Barnyard -- Had Been Given Permission to Shoot Tame Pigeons

Louis Schlamp, the sixteen year old son of Mr. and Mrs. Louis Schlamp, living south of the city near the Rosenstiel farm was instantly killed Wednesday evening by the accidental discharge of a shot gun. The charge of shot entered his head through the right eye and came out through the back of his head.

Mr Howard Rosenstiel has a great many tame pigeons or doves on his farm and had given the boys in the neighborhood permission to shoot them. Young Schlamp had left his home, about forty rods from the Rosenstiel home shortly before super time, telling his mother that he was going over to the Rosenstiel barn yard to shoot a few pigeons. Mr. Rosenstiel saw the boy in the yard and spoke to him. At that time young Schlamp was sitting on a fence post as though waiting for the doves to light on the barn. He had a single barreled shot gun with him, the butt of which was resting on the ground. It is supposed that while picking the gun up the hammer caught on the wires of the fence and discharged the gun.

Mr. Rosenstiel heard the report of the gun and looking around saw the lad fall from the post. He hurried to him, but saw at a glance that the boy was beyond all help.

In the meantime the father and an older brother had returned from their work in Freeport where they are employed as moulders and were eating their supper. Other member of the family were out in the front yard and were spoken to by a gentleman in a rig. Mr. Schlamp heard the remark and told his oldest son Henry that he had best go over to the Rosenstiel arm and see if his brother Louis had gotten into trouble. The young man started at once and was followed a few minutes later by the father. When the father reached the Rosenstiel gate he was met by his oldest son who told him that Louis was dead.

Dr. M. M. Baumgartner, acting coroner, was notified, as was also William Koenig. The remains were brought to Freeport where they were prepared for burial.

The funeral will be held from St. Joseph's church at 9:30 o'clock tomorrow morning and interment will be at the German Catholic cemetery. Rev. Fr. Nettis will officiate.

Louis Schlamp was sixteen years old and was the second oldest of the family. He was born near the present home of his parents and lived there all his life with the exception of three years during which time the family lived in Freeport. He attended the St. Joseph parochial school. Surviving him are his parents and six brothers and three sisters.

The Inquest

Deputy Coroner Baumgartner held an in quest on the remains at the Howard Rosenstiel home this morning. The verdict of the jury was that the deceased had come to his death by the accidental discharge of a twelve gauge breach loading shot gun while it was in his possession. The following composed the jury: Wm. Figeley, foreman; Ed Rosenstiel, Frank Miller, Richard Dickman, Fred Griffin, and Ben Heeren."

FREEPORT DAILY JOURNAL on Thursday July 9, 1908, page 1. Submitted by: Vinita Lynch Shaw on 18 Mar 2002

Crescenz Balluff-Schmidt

Old Resident is Summoned on 87th Birthday; Mrs. Conrad Schmidt, E. Iroquois St., had lived here 75 years.

Mrs. Conrad Schmidt, a resident of Freeport for seventy-five years, passed away at her home, 715 [?] Iroquois Street, yesterday, on the eighty seventh anniversary of her birth. Crescenz Balluff was born in Neuhausen, Wurttemberg, Germany, on February 8, 1839, emigrating to America with her family when a child of nine years; and with the exception of a few years spent in New York state, she has made her home in Freeport ever since. On July 4, 1864, she was united in marriage with Conrad Schmidt and to this union were born five children, one of whome, Mrs. Margaret Mayer, passed away three years ago. There are left to mourn: The Misses Matilda and Theresa Schmidt and Julius Schmidt, of this city; Albert, of Concord, California; together with the following step-children: Mrs. John Schneider, Henry and Conrad Schneider of Freeport, and John S. Schneider of Burley, Idaho. One son, George J., of this city, passed away last March. While an invalid for the past thirteen years, Mrs. Schmidt was able to be up and around her home each day until four weeks ago, when she had a fall and as a result of the shock failed steadily until the end. Kindly and sympathetic by nature, she was always ready to do what she could for others while in her immediate family circle she knew no distinction and the memory of her beautiful life is a heritage to be treasured always. Services will be held at the late home on Wednesday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock. Dr. D.L. McNary, of First Presbyterian church, to officiate.

Obituary from Freeport Journal Standard, Tuesday, February 9, 1926. Submitted by: Laura Balluff on 10 Feb 2000

Pioneers Are Gone, Conrad Schmidt, for many years Chicago and Northwestern Yard-Master, Dies

Conrad Schmitt died at his home, No. 53 Iroquois street, at 10:30 o'clock this morning. He was taken sick with congestion of the lungs last Thursday and he grew rapidly worse until the end. He was born in 1830, at Meider Grenzeback, Germany, and came to this country in 1821 [sic]. In that year he was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Prince at New York. They have five children living. They are Mrs. John Schnider, John Schmidt, of Iowa; Geo. Schmidt, Conrad Schmidt, Jr., and Henry Schmidt. After the death of his first wife he was married to Miss Grace [sic] Balluff in 1864, and their children are Julius, Margaret, Theresa, Matilda and Albert Schmidt, all of this city. Mr. Schmidt was a kind and loving father and loved the home circle more than all things else. He was a member of the Germania society and also of the Odd Fellows. He has lived in Freeport over forty years and was for a long time yard-master of the Chicago & North Western, but of late years on account of his age he has acted as crossing flagman. The funeral will occur Wednesday afternoon. The arrangements are not yet completed.

Obituary of Conrad Schmidt, Freeport Daily Bulletin, Monday, 17 September 1894. Submitted by: Laura Balluff on 10 Feb 2000

Dale Douglas Shippy

Cedarville - Dale Douglas Shippy, Cedarville, died Thursday evening in Freeport Memorial Hospital. Mr. Shippy, a member of the Cedarville American Legion, was employed by Structo Mfg. Co. He was born June 3, 1911, in Oneco Township, the son of Douglas and Lydia (Wohlford) Shippy. He married Erma Yeager June 7, 1958, in Dubuque, Iowa. Surviving are his widow, three stepsons, Paul Haefner, Mount Carroll, Gerald Haefner, Freeport, and Charles Haefner, La Mirada, Calif.; a stepdaughter, Mrs. Cledith (Barbara) Purdom, Nahunta, Ga.; eight grandchildren; four sisters, Mrs. Pearl Lawler, Dakota, Mrs. Velma Casselman, Freeport, Mrs. Kenneth (Mildred) Bender, Red Oak, and Mrs. Vernon (Beulah) Smith, Ridott; and a brother, Lester of Orangeville. He was preceded in death by his parents, four sisters, and two brothers. Funeral service will be Monday at 1:30 p.m. in Burke-Tubbs Funeral Home. Rev. John Bruce will officiate. Burial will be in Chapel Hill Cemetery. Friends may call at the funeral home after 1 p.m. Sunday.

A Tribute published in the pages of FREEPORT JOURNAL - STANDARD Freeport, Illinois September 23, 1966 Memorial Obituary Entered Into Eternal Rest Thursday, September 22, 1966. Submitted by: Julie Haefner on 21 Aug 2001

Dr. John Jacob Shirk

Dr. John Jacob Shirk passed away at his home in this city at 11:50 o'clock Saturday morning after an illness of several weeks. Dr. Shirk had been an invalid for over a year, and although at one time during the past year his life was despaired of, he recovered so as to be able to be out upon the streets again. Nine weeks ago he was again confined to his bed, but he never rallied from his last illness, and on Saturday he answered the summons of his Master. John J. Shirk was born in Lebanon County, Pennsylvania, Feb. 17, 1826. In 1852 he moved to Freeport, Illinois, coming later to Chickasaw County, Iowa, and settling at Old Chickasaw. After living there six years he returned to Freeport, and in 1879 he came to Nashua, where he made his home until his death. He was married May 7, 1846 to Miss Phoebe Stocks, who survives him. To this union there were born twelve children, nine who are living, and who are as follows: Mrs. H. M. (Mary) Hills, of Little Falls, Minnesota; Madames R. C. (Emma) McLees and H. T. (Rose) Lawson, of Freeport, Illinois, Mrs. C. M. (Sadie) McGilligan, of Ridott, Illinois, Madames W. H. (Bertha) Tucker and Frank (Jessie) Shufelt, of Nashua, Iowa, and Albert, Charles, and William Shirk all of Washington state. He also leaves to mourn his death two brothers, Jacob B. and Daniel F. Shirk of Freeport. When the Civil War broke out he enlisted as veterinary surgeon, a profession he followed throughout his life. The deceased was one of Nashua's most highly esteemed citizens. He was a man who had no enemies, and the quiet, unassuming life he led, won for him a legion of friends. He was a member of the G. A. R. Post of this city, being past Commander, and was faithful in the performance of hs duties. The funeral was held at the M. E. (Methodist Episcopal) Church at 2 p.m., Monday, Rev. A. W. Smith officiating, and the remains escorted by his comrades of the Grand Army Post, were laid to rest in Greenwood Cemetery, Nashua, Iowa.

"NASHUA REPORTER" - Nashua, Iowa Thursday, April 25, 1907. Submitted by: Sharon Shirk on 14 June 2001

Again the funeral bell tolls and another of Nashua's honored and respected citizens passed to his long home. Dr. John J. Shirk was born in Lebanon County, Pennsylvania on Feb. 17, 1826, and died at 11:50 a.m. Saturday, April 10, aged 81 years, 2 months, and 3 days, death resulting from Bright's disease and heart trouble. In the early fifties, the deceased moved to Freeport, Illinois where he remained a couple of years and then moved to Old Chickasaw. After six years residence here he returned to Freeport for a time but for the past twenty-eight years he and his family have resided in Nashua. During the war, Dr. Shirk was enlisted as a veterinary surgeon and continued in the profession after returning home until forced by illness to abandon his profession. On May 7, 1849 he was united in marriage to Miss Phoebe Stocks and to this union twelve children were born of whom nine survive, beside the aged companion to cherish the memory of a kind and indulgent parent. During our acquaintance with Dr. Shirk we had grown to have a deep respect for him. He was always pleasant to meet and his bright, cheery smile showed a heart full of love and warmth. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. A.W. Smith from the M. E. Church Monday afternoon and internment was made at Greenwood cemetery. The members of Geo. W. S. Dodge Post and the Relief corps attended in a body and we do not remember of ever seeing more of the veterans together on a similar occasion - certainly a mark of deep respect. The floral tributes were many and beautiful.

News Clipping perhaps again from the "NASHUA REPORTER"

contributors notes: John J. Shirk served with the 14th Cavalry Regiment, Illinois Volunteers, Company K John J. Shirk & his wife Phoebe Stocks Shirk were married in Freeport, IL John was part of a large group of Mennonites that came to Freeport about 1848 to start a church and settlement. The family officially left the area for good in 1879, after the births of their 12 children. At the death of John J. Shirk, three of his children had already preceeded him in death. One daughter, Martha C. Roadmeyer, left behind two sons and one daughter living in Freeport: Henry, George, and Lizzie (Roadmeyer) Kunz.

Submitted by: Sharon Shirk on 14 June 2001

Phoebe Ann (Stocks) (Mrs. John J.) Shirk

Mrs. John J. Shirk passed away at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Frank Shufelt, Monday, just as the shades of evening were drawing to a close. Mrs. Shirk had been in failing health for some time past, but her final illness was of short duration, she being confined to her bed only five days. The cause of her death was due to heart trouble. Phoebe Ann Stocks was born in Bilper, England, Dec. 12, 1829, and when four years of age she came to America with her parents, settling in Pennsylvania. From there she moved to Illinois and thence to Iowa in 1856. May 7, 1849 she was married at Freeport, Illinois to John J. Shirk, who proceeded her to the great beyond April 20, 1907. They lived in Nashua two years when they returned to Freeport. Thirty years ago they returned to Nashua, which place was the home of the deceased until the time of her death. She was the mother of twelve children, nine of whom are living and are as follows: Mrs. Mary Hills, of Little Falls, Minn.; Mrs. Emma McLees, of Freeport; Albert H. Shirk of Clallam, Washington; Mrs. Rose Lawson, of Freeport; Mrs. Sadie McGilligan, of Ridott, Illinois; Mrs. Jessie Shufelt, of Nashua; Will and Charley Shirk, of Bellingham, Washington; Mrs. Bertha Tucker, of Nashua. She is also survived by one sister, Mrs. Ellen Stone, of this city, and four brothers, James Stocks, of Los Angeles; (Zachary) Taylor Stocks, of Buffalo, Wyoming; Cyrus Stocks, of Grinnell, Iowa; Millard Stocks, of Biggsville Illinois. Mrs. Shirk spent the later thirty years of her life in this community and was held in high esteem by those who knew her. She was a woman who possessed many lovable traits of character, which made her one of the kindest and best of wives and mothers. Since the death of her husband she had made her home with her daughter, Mrs. Shufelt, who cared for her tenderly. Three daughters, Madames Hill, McLees and Lawson, arrived Tuesday to attend the funeral. The funeral was held at the Congregational Church Wednesday at 2:30 p.m., Rev. Hess officiating, and the remains were laid to rest in Greenwood Cemetery, Nashua, Iowa.

"NASHUA REPORTER" - Nashua, Iowa Thursday, Dec. 2, 1909

CONTRIBUTOR'S NOTES: Phoebe's parents immigrated to Stephenson County with their family coming from Pennsylvania about 1843. Her parents were Thomas & Martha (Gratien) Stocks, originally from England. She also had siblings that must have preceeded her in death: Charles, George, Mary, and Rhoda.

Submitted by: Sharon Shirk on 14 June 2001

Thomas Shirk

----Another Accident-----

Thomas Shirk, a Brakeman on the Northwestern, Run Over -- His Injuries Probably Fatal

Another railroad accident occured (yesterday?) this time on the Chicago Northwestern road, and like it's predecessor on the Western Union, has a fatal termination. The unfortunate man is Thomas Shirk; he was a brakeman on the train known as the Milwaukee freight. It was westward bound, and the accident happened about two miles this side of Pecatonica, at 6:15 this morning. For the reason unknown, Mr. Shirk started to ascend the car next the the way (??) when he slipped and fell. The train was moving at the rate of (??) miles an hour at the time. Before he could be extricated, one wheel had (rolled?) over the lower portion of his (left? right?) leg, and another over the part between the knee and the thigh. The (bones?) of the leg were fractured in many (places?) and the flesh terribly gashed. His (?????) was also injured. The (???) at seven o'clock, and the injured man was conveyed to his home on Van Buren Street, a couple blocks (???) of Stephenson. Dr. Caldwell was (summoned?) but was unable to operate (??) at that time, as the patient was in a very weak condition, owing to the (loss?) of blood. Mr. Shirk is about thirty years of age. He is married and has two children. He died at two o'clock p.m. yesterday. The funeral will take place this afternoon.


This article appeared in the Freeport newspaper and concerns the death of John and Phoebe Shirk's oldest son, who is our direct descendant. I was not able to make out all the words from the faded newspaper.

Thomas was born about 1852 and died in 1879 when he was about 26 years old. He married Mary Leach on Oct. 29, 1875 in Stephenson County. I believe that only one child survived him, his son William, born in May 1876. I have no idea if his widow ever remarried. His parents moved to Iowa the year of his death. I am uncertain exactly what became of his son William because he moved to Washington state near his uncles by 1908, abandoning his wife and children left behind in Freeport.

Submitted by: Sharon Shirk on 14 June 2001

Mrs. Jesse Shull

Mrs. Jesse Shull, the wife of the founder of Shullsburg, Wis., passed away at her home at Winslow, Ill., at an advanced age. The funeral was held Tuesday, July 4th, the remains being intered in the village cemetary.

Democrat & Register (LaFayette County WI) 14 July 1893 Friday D V 29 No. 41 & R V 7 No. 37. Submitted by: Lady KK on 7 Nov 2001

George Simler, Lancaster

George Simler, 83, a pioneer resident of Lancaster township, was found dead in bed at the home of his son, Conrad Simler, Lancaster township, early this morning. Mr. Simler had been in failing health for some time. Corner E. A. Diestelmeier conducted an injury and determined death resulted from a heart affection. Funeral services will be conducted from the Conrad Simler home at 1 o'clock Wednesday afternoon, and at 2 o'clock from the Zion Reformed church, the Rev. C. M. Grahl, officiating. Interment will be made at Silver Springs cemetery. Mr. Simler was born in Germany Oct. 11, 1850. His wife preceded him in death. The following children survive: Fred, Edward, Emma and Mrs. Ner Higley, Freeport; Conrad and William Simler, of Lancaster township, George and John, Moline.

Monday, October 9, 1933 Freeport Standard Journal. He is my gggrandfather. Submitted by: Cheryl Sparks on 30 Mar 2002

Hattie Lapp - Smull

Mrs. Hattie Smull of 615 N. Hunt Ave., widow of William Smull, died in a local hospital Friday afternoon./p>

The former Hattie Lapp was born in Dakota Township April 6, 1870, the daughter of Mr. And Mrs. Martin Lapp. Her marriage to William Smull took place in 1893.

Her husband died in 1940 and one son Roy, also died previously.

Survivors include four sons, William of Freeport, Emery of Durand; Jake of Beloit, Wis, and Elmer of Stillwater, inn; 20 grandchildren and 36 great-grandchildren.

Service will be in Walker Mortuary at 1:30 p.m. Monday. The Rev. Henry Euler, pastor of West Baptist chapel, will officiate. Interment will be in Dakota Cemetery. Friends may call at the mortuary.

Freeport Journal Standard Saturday, November 2, 1957 Page 4, Column 4(?)

Submitted by: Justine Kamlager-Pennewell-Larson on 20 April, 2002

Roy Raymond Smull

LOSES LIFE IN ACCIDENT - Young Roy Smull of Near Dakota Killed on Sunday Afternoon - RIFLE Is DISCHARGED

Victim Was Passing It to Companion over Fence-Dies 46 Minutes Later.

In a distressing firearms accident Roy Raymond Smull, the 15 year old son of William Smull, who resides in the town of Rock Run, a mile and a half northeast of the village of Dakota, lost his life on Sunday afternoon.

In company with George Johnson, age 12 or 13, the son of a neighbor, young Smull started off about 2 o'clock in the afternoon to hunt gophers. They had with them a 22-calber rifle belonging to Johnson. About half past 4 o'clock they decided to return home in order to do their chores. Nearing the John- son home, young Johnson climbed a fence ahead of his companion, who then passed him the rifle be- climbing over himself. The weapon was at full cock and was presented to Johnson butt first. John seized it and happened to grasp it by the trigger, discharging the gun. The bullet struck Smull on the right side and entered his body between the seventh and eighth ribs. It went clear though the unfortunate boy's body and came out at the back two inches to the right of the spine.

Young Smull was carried to the Johnson home and Dr. Butterfeild of Rock City was summoned, But the boy died a minutes after his arrival. The accident occurred at 4:35 and death came forty-five minutes later.

Dr. J.G. Woker of Pearl City, the coroner, was notified of the accident and held an inquest last evening at the Johnson home. Members of both families were present. The jury returned a verdict of accidental death and exonerated young Johnson from blame.

Besides his parents the unfortunate boy leaves four brothers as follows: Elmer Fraser, A half brother of White, S. D.; Jacob Smull of Cedarville; Henry and William at home. He was a promising youth and his death is much regretted.

The funeral will be held tomorrow at 1:30 p.m. at the house and 2 o'clock at the M.E. church. Rev. E. Dawe will officiate, and interment will be in the Dakota cemetery.

Freeport Daily Bulletin Monday June 9, 1913 Page 1, Column 1. Submitted by: Justine Kamlager-Pennewell-Larson on 20 April, 2002

William H. Smull

William H. Smull, 72, resident of Freeport for about 10 years, passed away last night at his home, 517 South Cherry Avenue, after a week's illness. Funeral services will be held at the Walker mortuary, West Main Street, at 1:30 a.m. Saturday afternoon. Rev. John Bruce will conduct the services and interment will be made in Dakota cemetery.

Mr. Small was born at Madisonberg,PA., August 22, 1867, the son of Henry and Mary Hazel Smull. He resided in Freeport the past 10 years. His marriage to Gertrude Mattern took place Sept. 18, 1888. To this union one son was born. Jacob Smull, now a resident of South Beloit, IL. The wife passed away, Sept, 1, 1889.

He came to Illinois in March 1893, locating near Dakota, IL. He was again married June 12, 1884, to Hattie Lapp. To this union three sons were born, Emery Smull, Durand; William Smull, Jr., Freeport; Roy Smull who preceded his father in death. His wife also survives.

Freeport Journal Standard, Thursday, July 11, 1940, Page 18, Column 4. Submitted by: Justine Kamlager-Pennewell-Larson on Sat, 20 April, 2002

Francis Leroy Soladay Dead

Was Son of Late John Soladay, Newspaper Man

Francis Leroy Soladay, a native of Freeport died at his home, 623 North Winnebago street, at 8:30 o'clock last evening following an extended illness. His death resulted from Bight's disease, of which he had been a sufferer for several years. He was an engineer and miner, following that work for a number of years. Mr. Soladay was a son of the late John Soladay, the latter having been a newspaper man. He is survived by the following children, Elliott, Earl, Myrtle, Maud and Evelyn Soladay, all at home. His mother, Mrs. Flora Soladay, resides in Freeport. The following brothers and sisters also survive: Martin, Percy and John Soladay, all of Freeport; Pearl Soladay, Freeport; Irma Soladay of Leavenworth, Kansas. Funeral services will be held from the Tempel Funeral Home tomorrow afternoon. Rev. R. E. Chandler, pastor of the Second Presbyterian church, will conduct the services.

Wednesday, February 1, 1922 clipping. Submitted by: e-mail on 2 Jan, 2002

Doris Sparks

Mrs. Dora Sparks, 89 died today in the home of her son, Arthur Sparks, 254 Gertrude Street, Elgin IL, following a lingering illness. She was born in Hamburg, Germany, October 20, 1855, and came to the United States at the age of 16 years. Her husband, Clause, preceded her in death in 1923.

Surviving besides the son with whom she made her home, are another son, William H. Sparks of Elgin; three daughters, Mrs. Frank Redfern of Galena, IL, Mrs. Hattie Baxter of Freeport, and Mrs. Fred LeBlanc of Oak Park; 16 grandchildren, and 23 great-grandchildren.

Mrs. Sparks was a member of the Methodist church at Winslow, IL where services will be held Sunday afternoon. Burial will be in Christian Hollow cemetery near Winslow. Friends may call after tomorrow noon at the Wolff funeral home.

Elgin, IL dated July 13, 1945. Submitted by: Tracy on 15 Oct 2002

Sylvia Suzanna Sparks

Miss Sylvia Suzanna Sparks died Saturday at midnight, following a 4 week illness. She was born June 23, 1879, at LaFayette County, WI. Until the time of her last illness she had been employed at the Cutter & Crosette Shirt factory. Her home had been in Elgin for the last twenty years.

Surviving her are her mother, Mrs. Doris Sparks, four brothers, John & Henry of Winslow IL, William & Arthur of Elgin and three sisters, Mrs. Frank Redfern of Galena, IL, Mrs. Hattie Baxter of Rockford and Mrs. Rose LeBlanc of Oak Park.

The body will be sent to Winslow today. Burial services will be held tomorrow.

Elgin, IL paper from January, 1924. Submitted by: Tracy on Tue, 15 Oct 2002


Mr. Henry Sprattler, For The Past Thirty-five Years In The Employ of J. B. Taylor, Is Called From Earth. Mr. Henry Sprattler died last night at 8 o'clock, at his home on the corner of Benton and Division Streets, after a long illness, of a complication of several diseases.

The funeral will be held from the family residence tomorrow afternoon at 3 o'clock. Henry Sprattler was born in Bavaria, in the year 1833, and came to Freeport in the year 1852. Soon after arriving here he entered the employ of Mr. John B. Taylor, and remained in that gentleman's employ until he died, and a more faithful man never lived. He was honest, industrious and courtious and possessed the respect and esteem of Mr. Taylor, Mr. E. C. Warner and every man connected with Mr. Taylor's store. Such high regard had Mr. Taylor for his faithful employee, that when he had been with him twenty-five years, he presented him with an elegant watch and chain. Not only was Mr. Sprattler highly regarded where he worked, but also in the county in which he lived. As a citizen, he was quiet and unassuming. He always attended to his own affairs and had no enemies. He was kind-hearted and always willing to help those in distress. Mr. Sprattler's home life was very pleasant.

Here he was married, and here his family was raised. The hand of death entered his home life about five years ago, and took from the family circle, the wife and mother. It was a sad blow to Mr. Sprattler, but he bore it like a man and never neglected his family of children, but provided them with all the comforts of life. He leaves a family of eight girls and one boy: Herman, Mrs. F. X. Meyer, of Oregon; Louise, Lena, Nellie, Emma, Carrie, Isabella and Jennie. He leaves them well provided for as he has a comfortable home and $5000 life insurance in the Odd Fellows Insurance Company of Galesurg.

He was a member of the Odd Fellows Lodge and also an active member of the Germania Society. In the death of Mr. Sprattler, Freeport loses a good citizen, whose memory will be cherished by many of our citizens who realized and appreciated his many good qualities.

from The Freeport Standard Journal, Jan. 28, 1888 (Saturday, pg 4, col 5). Submitted by: Susan Gillick March 01, 2001

This was my great great grandfather. His daughter Lena was my great grandmother, and she married James Reilly in Ogle County.

CALLED HOME; Mrs Henry Spratler, After A Long Residence in This City, Passes To The Other World

At 5:40 o'clock this morning, Mrs. Henry Spratler expired. The deceased was sick three months, and the cause of her demise was cancer of the heart. Had she lived until the 10th of next August, she would have been 50 years of age.

She was born in Boos, Prussia, on the Rhine, and came to Freeport in 1851. Her she was joined in wedlock to Henry Spratler in 1857, Wm. Wagner, deceased, performing the ceremony.

Mrs. Spratler leaves ten children, one of whom is married to Mr. F. X. Mayer, the well-known barber. The youngest child is one year and a half old. A son is nineteen years old, Mrs. Fred Burkhardt is a sister; a brother lives at Blairstown, Iowa, and a sister lives at Wapella, Iowa. The father and mother reside at Lancaster, Pa.

Mr. Sprattler is known as one of our best and most respected German citizens. He has been in the employ of John B. Taylor for 28 years, and during all this time has never lost a day unless on matters of this kind. His wife was a faithful and true woman, who lived to make her husband and children happy, and in her death, a true wife, an affectionate and loving mother, an old and honored citizen has passed to the realm beyond. Mrs. Spratler possessed those rare qualities that goes to make up a good wife, and the old house will now be a lonesome one. Her death is sincerely regretted by a large circle of friends everywhere.

The funeral will take place next Monday afternoon at 1 o'clock, and will be under the auspices of Freeport Lodge of Odd Fellows, of which institution Mr. Sprattler has been an honored member since its inception.

from The Freeport Daily Journal and Republican, June 9, 1883 (pg 9, col 3). Submitted by: Susan Gillick March 01, 2001

This is my great great grandmother. Her daughter Lena was my great grandmother.

John H. Sturtevant

John H. STURTEVANT, retired farmer, passed away at his home early Friday morning February 12 after a brief illness. He was born December 23, 1882 son of Jacob and Catherine (BRUBAKER) STURTEVANT. He married Mattie BRINKMEIER on Nov. 30, '04. They farmed in the Shannon area for some years before retiring to their residence on the south edge of Shannon. Mr. Sturtevant was a member of the Shannon Methodist church. His survivors include his wife, two daughers, Mrs. Huber (Mildred) HORNER, Mrs. Olla (Bertha) WILHELMS, two sons, Melvin of Freeport and Duane of Shannon, a stepdaugher, Mrs. Erwin (Katie) PLOCK of German Valley and several grandchildren and great grandchildren. Mr. Sturtevant was preceded in death by his parents, nine brothers, three sisters, two infant sons and infant daugher and a grandaughter. Funeral service was held in the EUB Church on Sunday afternoon with the Rev. Robert Hartman officiating. Burial was made in the Brethren cemetery at Shannon.

Feb. 12, 1965, John was my great grandfather. Submitted by: Julie Sturtevant-Wirgau on Mon, 29 Jun 1998

Matie Catherine Brinkmeier-Sturtevant

Funeral service for Mrs. John (Matie) STURTEVANT, a lifelong Shannon area resident, will be at 1:30 p.m. Friday in Bethel United Methodist Church here. The Rev. Russell Coats, pastor, will officiate. Burial will be in Brethren Cemetery, Shannon. Friends may call from 7 to 9 tonight at Scharman Funeral Home. A memorial fund has been established. Mrs. Sturtevant died Wednesday morning in Freeport Manor Nursing Home after an extedned illness. Born Dec. 16, 1885, in Loran township, she was the daughter of Henry and Louisa (STEINKE) BRINKMEIER. She was married to John STURTEVANT Nov 30, 1904. He died on February 1965. Surviving are three daughters, Mrs. Huber (Mildred) HORNER and Mrs. Olla (Bertha) WILHELM, both of Shannon, and Mrs. Erwin (Katie) PLOCK of German Valley; a son, Duane of Shannon; a sister, Mrs. Ervin ALBRIGHT of Lena; and several grandchildren, great-grandchildren and great-great-grandchildren. She also was preceded in death by three sons, a daughter, a sister, four brothers and two grandchildren.

July 16, 1975. Matie was my great grandmother and a wonderful person to know. I hold my memories of her very near to my heart. Submitted by: Julie Sturtevant-Wirgau on 29 Jun 1998

Melvin I. Sturtevant

Melvin I. STURTEVANT of rural Ridott, who was employed as a security guard at Micro Switch, died Thursday night in his hime after suffering an apparent heart attack. He was a memeber of the Moose Lodge. Born Aug. 12, 1916, in Shannon he was the son of John and Matie (BRINKMEIER) STURTEVANT. He married Jean MacADAM June 10, 1964, in Nashua, Iowa. His first wife was Eunice C. JOHNSON of Freeport. Surviving are his widow; a son Keith R. of Freeport; a stepdaughter, Mrs. Kenneth (Ruth) KOCH of Shannon; a stepson, Gary MARKMAN of California; 13 grandchildren; three great-grandchildren; is mother, a brother, Duane and two sisters, Mrs. Huber (Mildred) HORNER and Mrs. Ollie (Bertha) WILHELMS, all of Shannon. He was preceded in death by his father, two sisters and a brother. Funeral service will be at 1:30 p.m. Monday in Burke-Tubbs Funeral Home, Freeport. The Rev. Gustav Bloom, pastor of Bethany United Church of Christ will officiate. Burial will be in Chapel Hill Cemetery, Freeport. Friends may call from 7 to 9 p.m. Sunday at the funeral home. A memorial fund has been established.

Melvin was my grandfather. Jun 1974. Submitted by: Julie Sturtevant-Wirgau on 29 Jun 1998

Ray Edward Sturtevant

Ray Edward, son of Mr. and Mrs. John STURTEVANT, died at its home in Spring Valley on Saturday, February 26, 1910, after a brief illness with pneumonia, at the age of five months and eleven days. Funeral services were held Monday afternoon at 1:30, conducted by Rev. D. H. Ross at the Spring Valley M.E. church. ng Valley M.E. church.

from the clippings of Matie Brinkmeier-Sturtevant. Submitted by: Julie Sturtevant-Wirgau on 19 Mar 1998

Ernest Sueltman

Ernest Sueltman passed away yesterday afternoon at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. John Sueltman, 138 Shawnee street, after an illness of typhoid fever. He had been ill for about two weeks, and was apparently on the road to recovery, for he was out of the house Sunday afternoon and seemed then to be making excellent progress. A relapse set in Monday night, which resulted in his demise yesterday afternoon. He was born in Freeport 24 years ago, and had spent practically all of his life here. For the past few years he was employed by the B. & O. brewery. He leaves besides his parents, five brothers and two sisters, they are Otto, Fred, Karl, August, and John, and Mrs. J. Anderson and Miss Elsie Sueltman, all of Freeport. Funeral services will be held from the home Thursday afternoon at 2 o'clock, Rev. E. Traeger of the German Reformed church officiating. (city cemetery)

Scrapbook Clipping - dated August 22, 1911. Submitted by: E-Mail on 15 Apr 2002

Patrick LeRoy Sullivan, Warren Illinois, November 10, 1947

Patrick LeRoy Sullivan, 55, died at noon Sunday in his farm home near Nora. He was born September 25, 1892 in Stephenson County and lived in Nora 35 years. Surviving as a sister, Josephine, at the Nora home; two nieces, Mrs. Katherine Brown, Freeport, and Miss Alice Sullivan, at home; and two nephews, James, Lena, and Lawrence, Freeport. Burial will be in St. Ann's cemetery.

Newsclippings saved by my grandmother; Julia (Peirce) White, who lived in Warren at the time of her death. Possibly these obits are from the Freeport and/or Rockford papers.

Submitted by: Nancy A White on 19 June 2001

Claus Sparks

Claus Sparks, father of William H. and Arthur Sparks of 256 Elm Street, Elgin IL died last evening (August 5, 1923) at his home in Winslow, IL. He was born January 23, 1846 in Prussia, Germany. Funeral arrangements have not been completed.

Mr. & Mrs. William Sparks and Arthur Sparks motored to Winslow on Saturday to visit their parents not knowing Mr. Sparks was ill. Death came unexpectedly last evening.

an Elgin Newspaper dated August 6, 1923. Submitted by: Tracy on 15 Oct 2002


Website Last Updated August 8, 2006

Stephenson County Coordinator: Available for Adoption

áFormer County Coordinators: 2003-2005, Deb Haines; 2001-2003, Katherine K. Hebenstreit; 1996-2000, Julie Wirgau.

No claim is made to the copyrights of the individual submitters. The contents of this entire website may be used for personal use only by individuals researching their ancestry. Commercial use of this information for profit is strictly prohibited without prior permission of the owners. Other genealogical websites may link to this website; however, permission is not granted to duplicate any of the contents. Anyone contributing material for posting does so in recognition of its free, non-commercial distribution, as well as the responsibility to assure that no copyright is violated by the submission.