WILLIAMSON COUNTY, ILLINOIS
For those genealogists who would like to purchase books about Williamson County by Mary Jo Moore. Mary Jo is has published books containing obituaries, court records, wills, and local directories.
- Williamson County Historical Society has a fantastic library, a wide variety of genealogical books for purchase on Williamson County including cemetery inventories, marriages, tax lists, census books, etc., and very knowledgeable members.
- Epodunk.com. directory listing for Williamson County, IL.
- United States Bureau of Land Management for land patents.
- United States Bureau of Land Management related websites from ALL states.
- Illinois GenLookups
- National Obituary Archive Over 50,000 obituaries, especially recent ones.
- Illinois Obituary Links Page
- Illinois Obituary Search Engines
- Illinois CemSEARCH
- Illinois Historical & Genealogical Societies
- Obituary Grabbag - tons of IL obits indexed
- A Southern Illlinois Heritage, by Jerry Mullins
- Civil War Rosters, lists members of Civil War regiments from Illinois, even breaking the list of regiments into the counties where they originated.
- AHGP Illinois Cemetery Transcription Project
- Welcome to Williamson County, ILGenWeb, an excellent site with loads of information about families, cemeteries, county records, etc.
- Firstmom's, a great source for ITALIAN ancestry research
- AHGP Williamson County Cemetery Transcription Project
- First Families site listing genealogical frauds and hoaxes
- Cyndi's List of Genealogy Resources
- Williamson County Sheriff's Department
History page which lists the sheriffs of Williamson County with pictures of some. Other information is available.
- U. S. Census Bureau: Genealogy
- U. S. Census Bureau, 1998 TIGER/Line® data, interactive map of Williamson County
- Find A Grave
- about.com, a genealogy resource list, enough to keep you busy for quite a while.
- Obituary Depot
- Funeralplan.com Free Online Obituaries
- Illinois State AHGP Page
- Rootsweb's Illinois Mailing Lists Index
- Join Rootsweb's Williamson County Mailing List
- Marion Carnegie Library
- Marion Daily Republican, newspaper
- The Adoption Puzzle at Genealogy Today, suggests how to research adoptions. Also, while you are there, check out The Genealogy Register to find the most frequently visited genealogy sites.
- Illinois State Historical Library
Snail mail address is:
Illinois State Historical Library
Old State Capitol
Springfield, IL 62701
- Newspaper Archives Request
- Famous People, Local Stories, special thanks to Egyptian Area Agency on Aging
- Illinois State Archives
- Illinois State Archives Depository
"This database provides a listing of the local governmental records held by the Illinois
Regional Archives Depository (IRAD) system. Local governmental records include those
from county, city, town, village, and township levels throughout Illinois. Numerous
offices are represented from these levels. The record holdings of the IRAD system
include over 5,400 different record series.
For each record series the following information is included: depository, accession
number, title, county, beginning date and ending date." You may order documents from IRAD but they will not be certified and there is a minimal charge.
"What records does IRAD have?
Located on seven state university campuses, regional depositories house and
service those records of local governments which have been appraised as
having long-term values and have been transferred to the Archives' custody.
County records include:
- county board proceedings files and meeting minutes
- records of births, deaths and marriage
- land deeds, mortgage and tax sale records
- assessors' and collectors' tax books
- poll books and voter registers
- naturalization records, including declarations of intent
- probate records, including wills and will records, case files,
administrators' and executors' records, guardianship records, and inventory
and appraisement records
- civil and criminal court case files, chancery court case files (including
divorces), docket - books and court proceedings, and insanity proceedings
- coroner's inquest records and inquest files
- miscellaneous county records, including almshouse/county home records and
This links page to resources and other information involving the Williamson County area
is provided for your help and enjoyment. If you know of something that you think should
be listed, please feel free to email me. Thank you all for your
The intellectual property rights to the material contained on the pages of the above sites are owned
by the individual site owners. The sites are only linked to these pages
for the convenience of the researcher.
This page was last updated Wednesday, 01-AUG-2007 15:53:34 MDT.
Copyright © 2002-2007 by Ann Marshall