Biographies
Cemeteries
Deaths
Deed Book A  
History
Marriage Records
Obituaries
Resources
Telegrams

 

Blackford-Wells Genealogy Society

Blackford County Historical Society

Blackford County History Preservation Society

Blackford County is located in the east central portion of the U.S. state of Indiana. The county is named for Judge Isaac Blackford, who was the first speaker of the Indiana General Assembly and a long-time chief justice of the Indiana Supreme Court. Created in 1838, Blackford County is divided into four townships, and its county seat is Hartford City. Two incorporated cities and one incorporated town are located within the county. The county is also the site of numerous unincorporated communities and ghost towns. Occupying only 165.58 square miles (428.9 km2), Blackford County is the fourth smallest county in Indiana. As of the 2010 census,
the county's population is 12,766 people in 5,236 households. Based on
population, the county is the 8th smallest county of the 92 in Indiana.

Before the arrival of European-American settlers during the 1830s, the northeastern portion of the future Blackford County was briefly the site of an Indian reservation for Chief Francois Godfroy of the Miami tribe. The first European-American pioneers were typically farmers that settled near rivers where the land had drainage suitable for agriculture. Originally, the county was mostly swampland, but more land became available for farming as the marshes were cleared and drained. Over the next 30 years, small communities slowly developed throughout the county. When the county's rail lines were constructed in the 1860s and 1870s, additional communities evolved around railroad stops.

Please Visit Our Neighboring INGenWeb Counties
Denise Wells -
State Coordinator
Lena Harper
-
Asst. State Coordinator
Jeff Kemp
-
Asst. State Coordinator