Search billions of records on


Home Page Menu



Ezekiel Gillham Jr.
Hartford City News Tuesday, 24 July 1917 page 1, c 7

E. GILHAM, 89, DIES TUESDAY ONE OF THE OLDEST AND MOST RESPECTED MEN IN CITY AND WAS A VETERAN OF THE CIVIL WAR "Ezekiel Gilham, 89, one of the oldest and most respected citizens of Hartford City, died at 1 o'clock, Tuesday afternoon, at the home of his daughter, Mrs. J. Anson Kline, 533 West Kickapoo Street. The infirmities of age, covering an illness of three months duration, during all of which time he had been in a critical condition, caused the aged man's death. Mr. Gilham's life was a most interesting and eventful one. His father, Ezekiel Gilham, was a slave owner of old Virginia. The Hartford City man was born October 12, 1828,of a family of eight children, all of whom have now passed beyond with the exception of one brother, David Gilham, who left home when fifteen years of age, nearly eighty years ago. Until recently, the Hartford City man had never of his brother since. A year or so ago, William Kemp, local man, found trace of David Gilham in the southern part of the state. He had been engaged for years in the circus business. Efforts of Ezekiel Gilham and son, Scott Gilham, of this city, to obtain trace of the missing brother, however, failed. Ezekiel Gilham was a veteran of the Civil War, fighting on the side of the Union. His wife, whom he had claimed as his mate before the opening of the war, died December 24, 1913. Mr. Gilham had been a resident of the county for twenty-seven years. Surviving Mr. Gilham are nine children. They are: Mrs. Alice Kern, of Hanna, Ind.; G.H. Gilham of St. Francisville, Ill.; Mrs. M.C. McMahon of Sepupla, Okla.;Mrs. J. Anson Kline of this city; John F. Gilham of Pemberville, Ohio; Gerald Gilham of Okmulgee, Okla.; W. Scott Gilham of this city; Mrs. C.W. Spangler of Wawa, Okla.; and Chester A. Gilham, of Sepulpa. Okla. Two children are deceased. Mr. Gilham was a member of the G.A.R. At one time he was postmaster in LaPorte County, Ind. Last winter he spent considerable time with Mrs. H.C. McMahan and son, C.A. McMahan, and daughter, Mrs. Spangler, of Wawa. Scott Gilham, of this city, a son, is deputy postmaster. The funeral will be held from the late home, in charge of Rev. Yocom, probably Thursday." Hartford City News Wednesday, July 25, 1917 page 2, c4 GILHAM FUNERAL ON THURSDAY AFTERNOON "The funeral for Ezekiel Gilham will be held Thursday afternoon at 2 o'clock, from his home, 533 West Kickapoo Street, in charge of Rev. Yocom. The pallbearers will be Robert Voss, B.L. DeWees, D.A. Jones, Winslow Miles, Alonzo Showalter, and James McColly."

April 1929 EZRA MURPHY

OBITUARY: HARTFORD CITY NEWS TIMES - April 1929 EZRA MURPHY DIED MONDAY Found dead in bed by workers a sawmill Monday morning. Heart disease cause. Ezra Murphy, 67, residing near the McCowell Lumber company mill, in east Franklin Street, was found dead in bed Monday morning at 7;30 am, by Marvin Rigsby, an employee of the lumber company. Rigsby investigated when he noticed that Murphy's horse had not been fed and that the aged man had not been seen about his premises, Coroner James Dodds was summoned and stated that in his opinion, Murphy had been dead three or forur hours. Death due to natural causes. Mr. Murphy had been a resident of this county for the past 61 years, residing in Montpelier for a greater part of the time. He had lived in Hartford city for the past four years. During the past winter, he had been in ill heath, suffering from rheumatism but recently had apparently recovered. He was employed as a caretaker at the sawmill and during the summer, sold fish through the county. He was born in Preble Co., Ohio October 15, 1862, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Samuel D. Murphy. At the age of six years, he moved to this county. He was married February 5, 1892. Surviving besides the widow are three daughters and three sons, Mrs. Fred Williams, this city, Mrs. Mary Morris, South Bend and Mrs. Jennie Markin of Fort Wayne. Delbert, Clarence and Edgar Murphy, all of this city. two sisters, Mrs. Ella Speece of Montpelier and Mrs. Catherine Chrismer of Indianapolis and 22 grandchildren and 3 great grand children also survive.

Sarah Murphy Tuesday February 18, 1941

OBITUARY: HARTFORD CITY NEWS TIMES - Tuesday February 18, 1941 Sarah Murphy succumbs to Brief Illness.....Aged resident dies at home of son here Tuesday morning. Rites on Wednesday. Rites will be held from funeral home with burial at Montpelier. Sarah J. Murphy, 68, widow of Ezra Murphy, life long resident of Blackford Co., died Tuesday morning at 613 West Conger Street. Mrs. Murphy had been critically ill for some time and had been bedfast for the past six weeks. Born in Wells Co., March 13, 1872, a daughter of Benjamin Richards, she came to Blackford Co. soon afterwards and had made her home here since, living for some time in Montpelier, where she had a wide acquaintance. Her husband died in 1929. Funeral services will be conducted Thursday afternoon at 2:00 pm from the Burk & Fenning Chapel., followed with interment in the Woodlawn Cemetery at Montpelier. Mrs. Murphy is survived by two sons, Delbert Murphy at whose home she died, and Edgar Murphy, well know Hartford City Barber, three daughters, Jennie Markin, Fort Wayne, Mary Morris, Huntington, and Rose Williams, Hartford City. Two brothers, also survive. They are Levi Richards of Washington CHO, and Emanuel Richards of Bluffton. The death of Mrs. Murphy Tuesday morning recalls the tragic deaths of another son and his wife in a railroad crossing tragedy at Muncie a few years ago.

Winfield Scott Gilham

Hartford City News

Thursday, December 26, 1918

page 1, c 2


“Winfield Scott Gilham, assistant postmaster since June, 1912, passed away about noon today at the Dr. Caylor hospital at Bluffton where he was taken Monday afternoon for an examination. Mr. Gilham had been in ill health for three or four months, but until recently had been able to be at the office almost each day to supervise his work. During the past summer he is believe to overexert himself in work about his new home on east VanCleve street, and the result was valvular heart trouble, complicated later with kidney infection. When he took his vacation in the summer he came home from Ohio in a weakened condition, and his decline has been gradual since then. While physicians gave no hope, his death came sooner than expected. Some days ago he sold all of household furniture and was preparing to go to Oklahoma to visit a sister during the winter months, believing he might regain his health. Dr. Caylor when he made his examination confirmed the first diagnosis of Dr. Dodds of this city, and said that death was only a question of hours or weeks.

Mr. Gilham was one of the most efficient employees who ever held a position in the local office. He went into service as a general delivery clerk sixteen years ago and proved so capable that Postmaster A.F. Kinsley selected him as the deputy postmaster, when Edwin Ford resigned. Mr. Gilham was always careful as to detail, always accurate, well posted on postal affairs, and always obliging and considerate in his dealing with the public. He was a graduate of the Hartford City High School and was noted at school for his ability to acquire knowledge.

“Scott” Gilham,

“Scott” Gilham, as he was generally known, was born in Wanatah, thirty-seven years ago. He moved with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Ezekiel Gilham to this city when a boy of eight years and had lived here ever since that time. His mother was buried five years ago today and his father died about a year ago. He lived on West Kickapoo Street. Surviving are Mrs. Gilham, formerly Miss Nellie Thompson, to whom he was united in marriage November 10, 1909, a sister, Mrs. A.J. Kline, of 515 West Franklin Street, and a brother Gerald, who recently has been making his home with him and other brothers and sisters. Funeral arrangements will be announced Friday. ”

Charles Gerald Gilham

Hartford City News

Thursday, May 31, 1923

page 1, c 3


Charles Gerald (Jerry) Gilham,


Charles Gerald (Jerry) Gilham, well known resident of this city and brother of Mrs. Anson Kline, died Wednesday evening about 6:25 o’clock, at the Blackford County Hospital following an illness with complication of diseases. Mr. Gilham had been in poor health for some time but his condition was not regarded as critical until last Saturday. He was taken to the hospital Sunday morning, but due to his weakened condition no hopes were entertained for his recovery.

The deceased was a member of the Christian church of this city and the Moose lodge. Charles Gerald Gilham was born June 7, 1878, at Wanatah, Ind., in LaPorte County. He was the son of Ezekiel and Cicily Gilham and was one of a family of eleven children, the following surviving: Mrs. Alice Kern, of Hanna, Ind., Howard Gilham, of Elias, Tex.; Mrs. Mary McMahan, of Wichita, Kan.; Mrs. Anson Kline, of this city; John F. Gilham, of Pemberville, Ohio; Mrs. Gertrude Spangler, of Wana, Okla.; and Chester Gilham, of Sapulpa, Okla.

The Gilham family came to this city when Jerry Gilham was about twelve years of age. He was an oil worker by trade and was employed in the California fields for four or five years until the death of his brother, Thomas, when he went to Oklahoma. At the illness of his brother, Scott, former assistant postmaster here, Jerry returned to this city and had since resided here at the Birum hotel.

The body was removed from the hospital Wednesday evening and taken to the Baxter funeral parlors. It will be taken to the home of Mrs. Kline, north Jefferson street, some time Friday. No funeral arrangements will be made pending the arrival of members of the family.”

Jacob Anson Kline

Hartford City News Times

Tuesday, March 2, 1937

page 1, c 2





“J. Anson Kline, 69, caretaker and member of the Elks lodge, was found dead, Tuesday morning at 11:40 o’clock on the floor of the lodge room by Mike Donahue, janitor of the Elks building.

Death was due to a heart attack, according to a verdict rendered Tuesday afternoon by M. P. Weidy, county coroner. Mr. Kline had been dead about an hour when his body was found, Coroner Weidy asserted. The body was removed to the Burk and Fennig Funeral Home to be prepared for burial. Mr. Kline had suffered chronic attacks of angina pectoris, and had trouble for the past three years and had been under medical care. However, when he left his home Tuesday morning to go to the Elks lodge rooms; he appeared in much better health than usual, eating a hearty breakfast, and appearing in a very happy mood. He left his home, 213 south Jefferson Street about 10:15 o’clock.

Mr. Kline had apparently gone directly into the lodge rooms, going toward the southwest corner of the room. He was found face downward on the floor by Mr. Donahue. Mr. Donahue frequently visited with Mr. Kline in the lodge rooms. Upon finding Mr. Kline’s inert form on the floor, Mr. Donahue went to the office of Harry Miller, a lodge trustee on the second floor of the building. The two then summoned a physician. The death of Mr. Kline was a severe shock to his many friends in Hartford City

Surviving Mr. Kline are his widow, Elizabeth Gilham Kline; three children, Byron Anson Kline, of Alhambra, Calif; Mrs. Elizabeth Lea Kline-Hobbs, wife of Joe Hobbs of Battle Creek, Mich.; and Miss Mary Laura Kline, a teacher in the Claremore, Okla. Schools; three grandchildren, John Anson Kline of Tulsa, Okla., and Frances Lorraine and Joseph Kline Hobbs, of Battle Creek, Mich., Joseph Kline of Lafayette, is the only surviving brother. Two nieces, Mrs. Homer Shaffer and Anna Katherine Kline reside in Springfield, Ohio.

Jacob Anson Kline was born at Enon, Ohio, near Springfield, Ohio on February 6, 1869, the son of Jacob and Melissa Ann Baughman Kline. He spent his early life in Enon where he learned the paper finishing trade becoming an expert in this line of work.

Sisely Gilham

The Evening News

24 December 1913

page 1, c 2





“Mrs. Sisely Gilham, 69, 7766? Franklin Street, died ??? o’clock, Tuesday evening, after a long illness, with a complication of diseases. She had been seriously ill for a week. Scott Gilham and Mrs. Anson Kline, of this city, were children.

For many years she belonged to the Christian Church and was active in church work before she came ill. She was also a member of the W.K.I. Mrs. Gilham made several trips out West for her health …..

Surviving Mrs. Gilham was her husband, E. Gilham, and five sons and four daughters, who are Howard of Robinson, Ill., John of Pemberville, O, Chester of Wana, Okla., Jerry, of Marllupa(sp?), Calif., and Scott Gilham, of this city, Mrs. Jennie Sinra(sp?), of this city, as a sister, while George Simonton of Fernville(sp?), Mich., and Amon Simonton, of Argus, Ind., her brothers.

The funeral will be held Friday afternoon at 3:30 o’clock from the Christian church, in charge of Rev. G, I. Wyatt, interment will be in the I.O.O.F. Cemetery. The remains may be viewed Thursday and Friday.”

Thomas Gilham

The Evening News

Wednesday, August 16, 1911

page 1, c 6



“Tom Gilham, 37 years old, son of Mr. and Mrs. Ezekiel Gilham of West Commercial Street and formerly a resident of this city, died Tuesday evening about 6 o’clock in a hospital in San Francisco, Cal. Death was due to intestinal trouble following an attack of typhoid fever. He had been ill some time, his wife and daughter having been called to his bedside several weeks ago from this city where they had come to make a visit.

The body will be brought back to his old home for burial. The funeral party, consisting of Jerry Gilham, a brother, who is in San Francisco, and his wife and child, is expected to arrive here on the Pennsylvania passenger at 3:28 Saturday afternoon. A committee from the local lodge of Elks will meet the party at the train. Definite funeral arrangements have not been made but the service probably will be conducted Sunday afternoon. Mr. Gilham was formerly a member o f the local lodge of Eagles and that organization also will send a committee to the railroad station to meet the body. He was a member of the Elks lodge at Maricopa, Calif., and it is expected that the local lodge will be in charge.

Tom Gilham was born in Hanna, LaPorte County, Ind. He came to this city with his parents when about seventeen years of age and continued to reside here until about five years ago, when, with his wife and child, he went to Maricopa, Cal., to work in the oil fields. During his fifteen years residence in Hartford City he became well known and had a wide circle of friends and acquaintances to whom the news of his death will be a severe shock.

Beside his widow and child, a daughter, aged 18(sp?), and the parents the following brothers and sisters survive; Scott a clerk in the local post office, and Chester, both of this city; Jerry, of San Francisco; Howard, of Flatrock, Ill., John, of Kendallville; Mrs. Anson Kline, of this city; Mrs. H. C. McMahon, of Knox, Ind.’ Mrs. C.W. Spangler, of Dewey, Okla.”