Mrs. Marium E. Campbell. It was in 1847 that
the early members of the Campbell and Childs families came to DeKalb County, Indiana. They have
been quiet, thrifty people and always identified with
the development of the county in a worthy way.
The late Edward Campbell was long one of the
county's honored and representative citizens.
Edward Campbell was born in Stark County, Ohio,
in 1841, hence was six years old when he accompanied his parents, Abel and Jane (Taylor)
Campbell, in May, 1847, to Indiana and settled in Smithfield Township, DeKalb County. They
had six sons
and two daughters. Abel Campbell died on an historic day of the nation's history,
the same on which
Abraham Lincoln was first elected President of the
United States. Edward Campbell remained on the
home farm and looked after the comfort of his
widowed mother and subsequently became the owner
of the farm and continued its operation for many
years. His death occurred there on March 7, 1914,
and by loving friends and with Masonic rites, he
was laid to rest in the family plot in the Waterloo
On May 4, 1865, Edward Campbell was united in
marriage to Marium E. Childs, whose parents,
Bleeker E. and Jane A. (Wood) Childs, came from
Wayne County, New York, to DeKalb County, Indiana, settling in Fairfield Township, the family
consisting of three sons and five daughters, Mrs.
Campbell at this time, September, 1847, being three
years old. She grew up in Fairfield Township, attended school diligently and fitted herself for teaching and later taught schools in Fairfield, Smithfield
and Waterloo, and has always been a lady whose intellectual acquirements have been recognized in the
family and in society. Five children were born to
Mr. and Mrs. Campbell on the pleasant old farm in
Smithfield Township, namely: Frank, Elnora, Albertus, Clark and Thomas. Frank married Almira
Buchanan, and they have one son, Robert Leander.
Elnora, who is deceased, was the wife of Oliver
Hinman, and is survived by one daughter, Willo
Hinman. Albertus married Laura Walker, and they
have two sons, Edward and Jeremiah E. Clark
married Mrs. Dora (Walker) Kelley. Thomas resides with his mother at Waterloo, to which city
Mrs. Campbell removed shortly after Mr. Campbell's death, although she still retains the ownership
of the old Smithfield homestead of 200 acres. Mrs.
Campbell is a member of the United Brethren Church
at Waterloo and takes an interested part in its many
avenues of useful beneficence.
The early members of the Campbell and Childs
families considered politics not only a necessary part
of good citizenship, but the male voters of those
days were apt to be emphatic partisans. In both
families the whig element prevailed, but when the
republican party was organized, its principles proved
more acceptable. At the present time Albertus Campbell is serving as a member of the Board of County
Commissioners of DeKalb, being one of the few republicans in this county so honored.
The late Edward Campbell joined the Masonic
Lodge at Auburn and ever afterward he was a
member in good standing. He was faithful in all
observances and for years never missed a lodge
meeting, traveling the seven miles to Auburn on
every occasion no matter what might be the condition of the weather. By transfer he later became
a charter member of Waterloo lodge. On the fiftieth
anniversary of his becoming a Mason, brethren of
the Auburn and Waterloo lodges celebrated the event
and because of Mr. Campbell's feeble health at the
time, went in a body to his farm, where, with appropriate and beautiful ceremony, they presented
him with a Masonic emblem that signifies great and
special honor. During the remaining year of his
life Mr. Campbell prized this mark of appreciation
and friendship as one of his dearest treasures, and it
is equally prized by his eldest son, Frank, also a
Mason, upon whom his mother bestowed it. Mrs.
Campbell has a wide acquaintance in the county and
at Waterloo, and is held in the highest esteem everywhere.
("History of Northeast Indiana: LaGrange, Steuben, Noble and DeKalb Counties," Lewis Publishing Co., Chicago, 1920)
This website created October 17, 2011 by Sheryl McClure.
© Indiana American History and Genealogy Project