Francis Leason. In the early days of DeKalb
County a substantial English family was established
in Troy Township by the name Leason. A number
of its representatives are still found in that vicinity,
one of them being Mr. Francis Leason, who still
goes about his daily vocation as a farmer on the
east half of the northwest quarter of section 8.
He was born in Erie County, Ohio, February 2,
1854, a son of Joseph and Mary (Sharp) Leason.
His father was born in England December 2, 1810,
a son of Francis Leason, while the mother was born
March 2, 1819. in the same country. The father
grew up in Derbyshire and the mother in Nottingham, and they were married in June, 1848. The
following week they set out for the United States
and at once located in Erie County, Ohio. Joseph
Leason rented a farm there a short time, then returned to England for two years, after which he
again became an Erie County farmer and in 1856
made his second return to England. In 1862 he
was again in Erie County, Ohio, and continued
farming there until 1867, when he removed to
Indiana and bought sixty acres in section 8 of
Troy Township. He lived there until his death in
1879 his wife having passed away in 1872. He
was one of the leading members of the United
Brethren Church in the community. He never took
out his papers to become an American citizen.
Francis Leason was the only child of his parents
and since he was thirteen years of age has lived in
Troy Township. He acquired his education in the
common schools and on December 5, 1879, married
Mary E. Stearns. She was born in Troy Township July 20, 1859, a daughter of John and Nancy
(Ward) Stearns. Her father was born in Morrow
County, Ohio, December 3, 1829, and her mother
April 11, 1833, in Ashtabula County of the same
state. They were married July 13, 1856, and Mrs.
Leason is their only daughter.
Mr. and Mrs. Leason have three children: John,
Charles, born February 17, 1883, married and living
at Monroe, Michigan; and Carrie, born February
6, 1887, still at home with her parents. The latter
are active members of the Zion United Brethren
Church, and Mr. Leason is a republican. He and
his wife have six grandchildren.
John Leason, son of Francis and Mary (Stearns)
Leason, is a member of the third generation of this
family and has a valuable farm in section 8 of
Troy Township. He was born May 6, 1881m on a
farm adjoining his present home, and he grew up
and received his education in that locality. June
8, 1904, he married Mildred C. Hammond. She
was born in Franklin Township of DeKalb County
October 29, 1885, a daughter of George and Caroline Hammond. She was reared in her native
township and received a common school education.
After their marriage John Leason and wife lived
on the home farm for about five years and then
came to their present place, where they have eighty
acres devoted to general farming and stock raising.
They are active members of the West Zion United
Brethren Church, Mr. Leason being on the official
boards and finance committee. He is a republican
in politics. To their marriage have been born five
children, Violet, Martin, Mildred and Dorothea and
("History of Northeast Indiana: LaGrange, Steuben, Noble and DeKalb Counties," Lewis Publishing Co., Chicago, 1920)
This website created October 17, 2011 by Sheryl McClure.
© Indiana American History and Genealogy Project