Walter W. Mountz is one of the best known
public men in the official life of DeKalb County, is
clerk of the DeKalb County Circuit Court, and has
been a leader in local affairs for a number of years.
Though of an old family of Northeast Indiana,
he was born at Overbrook in the State of Kansas
July 10, 1886. He is a son of Francis and Delia
(Smith) Mountz. His father was born near Pleasant Lake, Indiana, July 6, 1859, had a common school
education, was married at Ashley, and after his
marriage lived in Kansas six years. Returning to
Indiana, he settled in DeKalb County, at Garrett,
where for fourteen years he was proprietor of a
retail hardware business. He was also prominent
in democratic politics, represented the Second Ward
in the City Council of Garrett, and was an active
member of the Garrett Fire Department at the time
of his death. His widow is still living in Garrett.
There were three children: Walter W.; Dessa, who
graduated from the Garrett High School in igo6
and is the wife of Harry M. Barrie; and Russell M.,
clerk in a clothing and shoe store at Garrett.
Walter W. Mountz spent his early life at Garrett,
attended the grammar schools there and one year
in high school, and on leaving school was in the
West for two years. July 10, 1909, he married Lulu
Maurer. She died in July, 1910, and on August 5,
1912, he married Myrtle Osborne, of Kendallville,
Indiana. Mrs. Mountz is a daughter of William S.
and Anna (Johnson) Osborne and is a graduate of
the Kendallville High School. They have one son,
William W., born February 28, 1918.
Mr. Mountz was elected for two terms as city clerk
of Garrett, going into office January 1, 1910, and
serving seven years. He was reelected without opposition but resigned toward, the close of his second
term, on December 1, 1916, to take up his duties as
circuit clerk. Mr. Mountz is a thirty-second degree
Scottish Rite Mason and a member of the Royal
Arch Chapter at Garrett. He served as secretary
of the Lodge of Eagles from June i, 1909, to January 1, 1917. He is also affiliated with the Benevolent
and Protective Order of Elks, the Independent Order
of Odd Fellows, a member of the Auburn Commercial Club, and of the Presbyterian Church.
("History of Northeast Indiana: LaGrange, Steuben, Noble and DeKalb Counties," Lewis Publishing Co., Chicago, 1920)
This website created October 17, 2011 by Sheryl McClure.
© Indiana American History and Genealogy Project