Daniel W. Weitz, who was through the Civil
war as a Union soldier, has for half a century been
an honored resident of Williams and DeKalb counties, for more than fifty years being a farmer in
Troy Township of the latter county. His home
is a half mile west of Arctic.
Mr. Weitz, who is also a justice of the peace,
was born in Portage County, Ohio, June 7, 1840,
son of Adam and Elizabeth (Veager) Weitz. His
father was born at Hesse Darmstadt, Germany, in
February, 1810, while the mother was born in Beaver
County, Pennsylvania. They were married September 17, 1839, at Franklin Mills in Portage County
by B. F. Hopkins. They lived in Portage County
for several years, and in 1846 became pioneers in
Williams County, Ohio, where they spent the rest
of their lives at Edgerton. Adam Weitz was reared
a Catholic but later became a prominent member
of the Methodist Church and founded the Weitz
Methodist Episcopal Church in Williams County.
He also look up democratic affiliation in politics
but in 1856 joined the newly established republican
party. He held several township offices. He and
his wife had a family of eleven children, nine of
whom are still living: Daniel W.; John A., deceased; Harriet; Lucina and Lavina, twins; Joseph;
Charles W.; Thomas T.; George A.; Francis E.
and William A., deceased.
Daniel W. Weitz grew up on a farm in Williams
County and acquired most of his education in school
district No. 3 and in high school at Williams Center. He also made liberal use of his opportunities
to study outside of school, and became a very successful teacher, a vocation he followed for about
twenty years. Most of his teaching he did after
the war. In 1861 he enlisted in Company H of
the Third Ohio Cavalry, and was with that command until the close of hostilities, being mustered
out with the rank of first sergeant. Though he
was never wounded nor taken prisoner he was confined to a hospital by illness for six months.
After the war he returned to Williams County
and on October 11, 1868, married Mary E. Bowersox. She was born in St. Joe
Township of Williams County, being the first white girl born in
that township. She was a sister of Judge C. A.
Bowersox of Bryan, Ohio. In 1869, soon after their
marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Weitz removed to Troy
Township of DeKalb County, and have had their
home there for over fifty years. He owns a farm
of 130 acres. He was also the first president of the
First National Bank of Butler, serving for three
years, then became the vice president and is now
a stockholder of that bank. Mrs. Weitz died September 9, 1902. Of their five children three are still
living: Nellie, who is a graduate of the high school
at Edgerton, Ohio, and Tri-State College at Angola,
is the wife of Joseph R. Wiley; Floy, who is a
young woman of brilliant intellect and has spent
twelve years as a teacher in Troy Township, is
unmarried and lives at home with her father;
Charles H. is a graduate of the Butler High School
and Purdue University, with a degree in civil engineering, and is now 'in business at Salt Lake City.
Mr. Weitz is affiliated with Forest Lodge of Masons at Butler, is a member of Meade Post No.
144 of the Grand Army of the Republic, and a republican in
politics. He voted for Abraham Lincoln
under a pine tree in 1864. He was then in Georgia
in war service. He has served as a justice of the
peace for about thirty years. During a residence
in Edgerton, Ohio, he served as a member of the
City Council and as City Solicitor.
("History of Northeast Indiana: LaGrange, Steuben, Noble and DeKalb Counties," Lewis Publishing Co., Chicago, 1920)
This website created October 17, 2011 by Sheryl McClure.
© Indiana American History and Genealogy Project