"A Bit of History"
Delaware County is located sixty
miles northeast of Indianapolis and is bounded by Grant and Blackford Counties
on the north, Jay and Randolph Counties on the east, Henry County on the
south and Madison County on the west. Since its organization in 1827, Delaware
County has grown from a small Indian village to an important manufacturing
center.~For More Information~
Delaware County was named for
the Delaware Indians, an Eastern tribe which was slowly pushed into Ohio
and finally settled in east central Indiana during the 1770's. The Delaware Indians
established several towns along the White River, among these Muncietown,
near present day Muncie. In 1818, under the Treaty of St. Mary's Ohio the
Delawares ceded their holdings in Indiana to the United States government
and moved westward. In 1820, Delaware County was opened for settlement.
Muncie & Delaware County Facts & Historical Background
Facts About Chief Muncie Memorial Statue
Visit Our Neighboring Counties
In Memory Of Virginia Claire Brown Fyfe
Delaware County Coordinator 2004 - January 18, 2006
Indiana Heritage Brown & Related Families
Delaware County INGenWeb
©2006-2008 by Gina Richardson
In keeping with our policy of providing free
information on the Internet, data may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation.