Directions: Keyser Township, DeKalb County, Indiana,
S°7 T°33N R°12E
N°41 20.197 W 85 10.718
From Garrett, take Quincy St. and CR48 west out of town (stay
south of the railroad tracks) Turn south on CR3 to CR52. Turn west
on CR52 for about 0.2 miles. From SR8, go south on CR3, then east
on CR48 about 1/4 mile and then south on CR3 to CR52. You turn west
on CR52 for about 0.2 miles. The public cemetery is on the south
side of CR52.
Information from "So Grows A City" Official Publication Of The Greater Garrett
Centennial Corp. It was written or submitted by Georgia Bowes.
Embry Cemetery on county road 52, west of Garrett, was
laid out November 1, 1888, by William Embry. Tradition has it that
a child of the family died during a severe storm, and when the roads became
impassable, it was buried on the family farm. The cemetery, which thus
began as a private burial ground, was later enlarged by two additions.
The first, known as the Kelham Addition, containing twenty-six one-hundredths
of an acre, more or less. During the trusteeship of Harold Dannenberg,
residents of Keyser Township petitioned him to purchase more land for public
burial, which he did at a cost of $255. This is known as the Riccius-Shirk
Joe Weller was responsible for having an iron fence erected
when cattle from adjoining fields began breaking through into the cemetery.
Money for the fence was solicited from the public. In return contributors
were given lots.
In this quiet and peaceful spot can be found names of
older families of the community. On some of the markers the epitaphs
and dates have become almost illegible. However the oldest date found
there is 1851. This again shows that when public cemeteries became
available, graves in family plots were moved.
In recent years, a well has been dug, and a new aluminum
gate has been hung at the entrance. Oliver Maurer is caretaker.