Evergreen Cemetery
NEW AUBURN  





Directions:  Union Township, DeKalb County, Indiana,  S°32  T°34N  R°13E  ?41 20'38"N  84 50'23"W
This public cemetery is in the town of Auburn on Union St. between 16th St. and 18th St.  From Main St., south of Seventh St./SR8, go east on 16th, 17th, or 18th St. to Union Street.  It is located on the east side of Union St.


History:
From "History of DeKalb County Cemeteries" by Dorothy A. Ditmars, April 18, 1924.

    A few years after the Civil War and after the Old Auburn Cemetery was well begun, "Evergreen" was laid out by W. W. Griswold.
    Mrs. L. C. Ford, present Justice of Peace, states that it was very beautiful, and was laid out in lots and driveways.  Many people were removed from the Old Auburn Cemetery to this one.  It is surrounded by an iron fence and contains many a costly monument.
    The Old Auburn Cemetery, and the Evergreen, are striking contrasts.  The one represents the pioneer dos and early settlers fading into the past the other in harmony with the spirit of today.



Back to Cemetery Information
Back to DCIGS Main Page