Stroh Cemetery
MAPLEWOOD

Directions:  Grant Township,  S°3   T°34N  R°13E     
This public cemetery is located in Waterloo 0.25 miles north of the intersection of US6/Union St. and CR35/N. Center St. on both side of the road (east and west).  From Union St., west of Wayne St/ SR427, go north on Center St. 



History:
From "History of DeKalb County Cemeteries" by Dorothy A. Ditmars, April 18, 1924.

    Timothy Dickinson, once a prominent attorney in DeKalb County, who served in the Civil War, bought a tract of land north of Waterloo, and laid it out, calling it Waterloo Cemetery.  Several additions have been made of it, the last one being made by Frank W. Wyllis (Willis-Dickinson's son-in-law.)
    More than twice as many people have been buried there than the population of Waterloo in 1904.  The first person buried there, was John Henry Shoemaker.  In 1903 Emmanual Roger Shoemaker Jr. was buried there.

    Page 67 Souvenir Program and History 1856-1956 Waterloo, Indiana Centennial Celebration     "The original cemetery, or probably one of the first burial plots was laid out directly East of the present cemetery and was on the east side of the present railroad tracks.  The bodies were removed and reburied in the present cemetery.  Sometime later this old burial plot was developed into a sand and gravel industry and cement tile were manufactured by George Nodine and Commodore Hamman.  Subsequently they sold their interest to John Wilson and Charles Bartlett who manufactured cement blocks.
        Page 64 Souvenir Program and History 1856-1956 Waterloo, Indiana Centennial Celebration     "At a meeting of the Board of Trustees held January 16, 1866 a petition was presented, signed by citizens of the town praying for the removal of the corpses' from the old burying ground and for the reversion of the same to the possession of James Bowman.  The Petition was accepted and the corpses' removed and the ground vacated before the first day of April 1866."




Back to Cemetery Information
Back to DCIGS Main Page