Mrs. Anna Hamman passed peacefully away Friday morning.
The death angel has again visited our community taking
from our midst another of Franklin twps. Pioneer residents, Mrs. Anna Hamman.
Mrs. Hamman had not been ill, but has been gradually failing since the tragic
death of her son, Hammy, little more than a year ago. When the daughter-in-law,
with whom the old lady continued to make her home since the death of the
son, arose Friday morning she noticed that the mother was sleeping and did
not disturb her; when the morning meal was prepared she found her still quietly
sleeping. After the family had eaten she again visited the room and
found that she had crossed over the river to be with the loved ones gone
Anna Clark, daughter of David and Susan Clark, was born
June 30th, 1831, in Stark Co., OH, departed this life July 3rd. 1914, aged
83 years, 3 days.
In the year 1846 she came with her parents to Dekalb Co.
locating in Franklin twp. on the farm now owned by M.J. Waterman. Here
she grew to womanhood and on Nov. 23, 1851, was united in marriage with John
Hamman, also a native of Stark Co., OH. This union was blessed with
eight children, five girls and three boys, of which but two survive, Freeman
W. of Orville, OH, and C.P., of Summit, IN, also one step son, Daniel F.,
of Waterloo, IN.
At the age of 14 she united with the German Reformed church
in Paris twp., Stark Co., OH. Some years after coming to this state
she united with the U.B. church east of Hamilton, at what was known as the
Bellfountain church, later on uniting with the M.E. church at Barker’s Chapel
and from here was again transferred to the U.B. church at Pleasant Hill,
remaining with this church until the class disbanded, after which she did
not unite with any class but has lived a constant Christian life these many
As to her true character we, the children, do not feel
that we can express ourselves but will leave that to the neighbors and friends.
Ever ready to help in sickness and distress any neighbor for miles from home,
as she was an excellent nurse, and in her younger days the night was never
so dark or stormy that she would not go if called upon.
For 44 years she had the constant care of an invalid daughter,
Clara, for seven years the care of another invalid daughter, Francelia, and
for four years the care of her husband, and our father, who was also an invalid
most of the time. All this she bore with patience.
She was the last of a family of nine children. On
the morning of July 3rd, while the family were at breakfast, she quietly
passed away after several months of more or less care, seemingly not sick,
as she hadn’t any pain or fever. It was not thought that she was so
near the end. It is some consolation to those she left that she could
quietly go to sleep and again awake in a better and brighter world.
Her mental suffering, however, was greater than any can
tell and the heaviest blow for her to receive was the death of her son, “Hammy”
just a little over a year ago, on the 16th of June, he being the one in whom
she had placed all her hope to be with her in her last days, but when he
was taken away so suddenly it seemed that she began to fail fast until the
end came. She had the constant and patient care of the daughter-in-law,
Edith, during her last days and had come to look upon her as her own.
She leaves surviving, two sons, one step-son, nine grandchildren
and seven great-grandchildren.
A large congregation of relatives and friends assembled
in the M.E. church in Hamilton Sunday afternoon where the funeral services
were held in charge of Rev. L.A. Sevits and the burial was made in the Hamilton