Search billions of records on

Submitted to DCIGS Newsletter (Fall 2002) by Roselyn Wells

DeKalb County Newspaper, March 12, 1931
Child Eats Poison Tablets For Candy
Eighteen Months Old Daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Lester
Hamman Died Saturday Night—Strychnine Poison
     After eating some strychine tablets thinking it was candy, Mabel, the eighteen months old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Lester Hamman, four miles north of Waterloo, died Saturday night.  The tablets had been in the drawer of a buffet  for the past year, having been gotten for the grandfather to take as a tonic.  The child found the tablets during the afternoon, supposing them to be candy ate a number, but how many is not known.  When the little girl became seriously ill an investigation revealed that six of the tablets were found on the floor.
     The child died a few hours afterward despite the fact that all possible was done to save her.  Surviving are the parents and two brothers, Raymond, 6, and Alvin, 3.  Little Mabel is a granddaughter of Mr. and Mrs. David Hamman, and a niece of Mrs. Russell Dunn, linotype operator in The Press office.
     Funeral services were held Tuesday forenoon from St. Michael’s church north of Waterloo.  The death casts a gloom over the family, who have the sympathy of their many friends.  The coroner held an inquest and returned a verdict of accidental death.
Card of Thanks
     We thank our many friends and neighbors for their kind assistance and expressions of sympathy during our bereavement.
Mr. and Mrs. Lester Hamman