Contributed by Patricia Watson Dyson
1955 or 1957
GEORGE HENDERSON DIES AT HOSPITAL
Auburn Man, 73, Partner in City Market for Nearly
20 years, Succumbs following Lingering Illness.
George Arthur Henderson, 75, a resident of Auburn
for 29 years and a partner in the City Market in Auburn for nearly 20 years,
died shortly after noon Wednesday in the Dr. Bonnell M Souder hospital in
He passed away at 12:10 p.m.
In failing health for five years, he had been bedfast for five months and
a patient at the hospital for sixteen and one-half weeks. His death
was attributed to cirrhosis of the liver. His home in Auburn was at
403 North Jackson Street.
The body was removed to the Gerig funeral home in
Auburn for burial preparations. Friends may call at the funeral home
after 7 p.m. Sunday followed by burial in White City Cemetery at Spencerville.
Mr. Henderson was born in Spencerville Nov. 24,
1880, son of the late John W. and Alice Henderson. He was employed
as a meat cutter in a Fort Wayne meat packing plant and later operated a
wholesale meat distributorship at Spencerville before he moved to Auburn
29 years ago.
He married Maude Culbertson Sept 26, 1901 at Spencerville.
Mrs. Henderson preceded him in death three years ago.
Mr. Henderson was a partner with his son – law,
W. O. Beerbower of 403 North Jackson Street, Auburn, from 1927 to 1946 when
he sold his interest to Mr. Beerbower. The business was operated
at 110 West Seventh Street for four years before it was moved to its present
location at 140 West Seventh Street.
Surviving are two daughters, Mrs. W. O. Beerbower
and Mrs. DuVern Graham of Phoneix, Ariz.; three grandchildren, James R. Beerbower,
Eastern, Pa., Mrs. Frank Guthrie, Phoenix, and Mrs. Clara Emerson,
Toledo and three great-granddaughters. Two brothers, William and Charles
Henderson; preceded him in death.
He was a member of the Masonic lodge at Spencerville.