LICK BRANCH CEMETERY
Guilford Township, Hendricks County, Indiana
NW ¼ of the NE ¼ of Sec 17, T14N R2E
Visited April 4, 2006

**This cemetery was moved from its original location in Marion County during the building of the airport (about 1998).  It was near the new tower.  Many graves were marked by, illegible early limestone tablets, fieldstones or nothing at all.  Fortunately, an accurate plot map existed in Quaker records.  This map was used to identify remains so they could be marked after moving. Many of the names were incomplete including some strangers that died along the major road. The original stones were not used and instead were replaced with modern flat markers with names on them.

Directions:
This cemetery is in the southeast corner of the intersection of 700S (Camby Road) and 1050E.  It is in the southwest corner of the southeast section of Fairfield Friends Cemetery.  It is surrounded by a separate fence.  There is a sign on the gate but it is not visible from the road.

Corners:
NW: N39°39.598’ W86°20.144’
SE: N39°39.585’ W86°20.134’

Approximate Center:
N39°39.592’ W86°20.139’ or
N393936 W862008

Condition:
The new cemetery is fenced, mowed, and maintained.  The sign on the gate says, “Lick Branch Cemetery, est. ~1828.”  All graves are marked with flat modern stones that only have names and year dates.  Many stones have less information.  There is a pile of old fieldstones and tablet stones in the southwest corner of the cemetery.  The caretaker indicated that these will be used in a memorial. 

     Cemetery     Stone     Pile
                     New Cemetery Location                                           Example of a Grave Marker                                           Pile of Old Stones

Back to Cemetery List