This cemetery is on the north side of SR 36, between 600W and 550W.
Enter at #5688, currently owned by Chester Turner. There is a big brick
house with large iron gates out front. Follow the driveway north between the
barns, past the silos, and through the gate to the cow pasture. The
cemetery is inside and along the fence, directly to the east.
Single stone found:
N39°45.793’ W86°37.592’ or
A single stone was found on the ground in an active cow pasture. The homeowners
said that when they moved in over 40 years ago, there were 5 or 6 headstones
lying on the ground. Since then the area has been used as a cow pasture and
even been bulldozed. The changes in the south fence may indicate the
general area of the cemetery, though not for certain. A larger area
was probed carefully. The only stone found was in two pieces.
Its slotted base was missing, indicating the area has definitely been disturbed.
The stone was removed from the ground after photographing, then cleaned and
read. It was placed against the fence because of imminent danger from
the livestock. It was found 10 ½ feet north of the single tree in the
fencerow. That is most likely not the original location.
More stones may be in the large rock and scrap concrete pile down the hill
from the cemetery. The pieces are too large to be moved by hand.
The landowner recalled that his business partner gave his wife a headstone
for her birthday many years ago. It was not well received so was then
The single stone reads:
“JULIA/ Dau’tr of/ J & M MACCOUN/ died/ Aug 9, 1852/ aged 10m 2d”
The MacCoun family owned a lot of land in Marion and Center Township.
Julia is probably the child of either John Ward or James L., both sons of
James and Amelia MacCoun. John Ward was living in Putnam County in 1850
then in Center Township on his farm from then on, so most likely it was James
L. and Marietta (Fry) MacCoun that were Julia’s parents. Julia is not
listed as one of their children in family histories, but since their last
child was born in January of 1850, it is reasonable to think that Julia could
have been next. Often children who died as infants were not added to
The 1878 Atlas shows this land being owned by J.T. MacCoun, who is John
Ward MacCoun’s son. It is not clear yet how the ownership was transferred.
The rest of the MacCoun family is buried at Danville South and Danville East
Cemeteries, so it is unknown who else is buried on the farm.
Original Stone Location
Map of Location