All stones from this cemetery were moved to a
behind the Avon Town Hall, but the graves remain. The locations
were not documented, so there are no markers for the graves. All that remains
are the partial remnants of a fence. To find the location, use a GPS
unit. It is located in the common woods area behind Merritt Ridge Way
off of SR 267, south of Avon. The entrance is between #s 691 and 696.
In the woods, look for a wooden post with parts of a gate hanging from it.
This is most likely the southeast corner. The cemetery is bordered by
a cliff on the north.
Post with gate (SE): N39°45.278’ W86°24.208’
Post with fence wire near cliff (NE): N39°45.286’ W86°24.204’
Approximate NW point along cliff: N39°45.283’ W86°24.228’
Approximate SW point by following gate direction: N39°45.284’ W86°24.222’
N39°45.283’ W86°24.216’ or
There is no way of knowing where the graves are located, since all markers
were removed. One slotted base was found lying on the ground.
Vandals were pushing stones down the ravine, so the landowner took some of
them into his barn. A local boy scout set the stones into the memorial area.
However, the stones are no longer “gravestones” because they do not mark
any graves. Other methods should have been used to preserve the site
besides removing all visible traces of the cemetery.
This cemetery should probably have been called "Moore Cemetery," but became
known as Merritt Cemetery. From Deed Record #9, page 561: William Moore
and Elizabeth Moore, his wife, on 7th day of September, 1841 conveyed to
William Vestal 40 acres "except one-half acre where present grave yard is."
This is the same forty acres deeded to William Moore by the US government
on July 7, 1832: NE 1/4 of the SE 1/4 of Sec 10, T15N R1E. It appears that
the first burial was for Mary Jane Moore in 1836, who was the daughter of
George and Sally Moore.
All known burials have been linked to
with biographies and headstone photos.
Post with Gate
Site in 1992 (after stones had been removed)
Map of Cemetery Location