WHITE LICK FRIENDS CEMETERY
Guilford Township, Hendricks County, Indiana
NW ¼ of the SE ¼ of Sec 23, T14N R1E
Visited April 4, 2006

Directions:
This cemetery is off of the east side of SR 267, south of 800S.  It is on the south side of Maxwelton Road behind #7737.  The memorial block and unmarked graves are in the backyard.

Location of Memorial Block:
N39°38.252’ W86°23.077’ or
N393815 W862305

Condition:
There is a single stack stone as a memorial marker on the site of the cemetery.  Some graves were moved from the cemetery in the 1880s while approximately 37 still remain.  The individual graves are unmarked and for the most part, unknown.  This is now a residential area.  It is strange that no remains have been uncovered in the building of the homes and play structures. 
The block reads: “Erected in 1888 to identify this place as the first cemetery of White Lick monthly meeting of Friends.  Used from 1823 to 1826 about 37 graves.  Deed recorded in record of Hendricks Co. Ind.”  The old meetinghouse was abandoned in 1828 and the congregation moved south to a new location in Morgan County.  The cemetery fell into disrepair until the memorial was placed in 1888 and families moved some of the graves. 

This land was entered by Eli Hadley from the United States Government November 5, 1822.  The 1878 map shows the farm to be owned by Sheets Brothers.  The 1904 map shows H.G. Miles as the owner.

From the 1878 Atlas of Hendricks County:
"Some of the very earliest settlers of the county were Friends from North Carolina, and the first house of worship built in the county was built by them in the year 1823.  
They were all very enterprising and intelligent men and in the midst of their arduous labors to clear away the wilderness, did not forget their religion.  Their first house of worship was built about a mile and a half north of Mooresville.
Eleazer Bales who is still living and is an honored minister of the society, struck the first lick toward its construction, and Jesse, son of Noah Kellum, struck the next.  The house was a double round-log cabin. Here in the fall of 1823 Eleazer and Ann Bales, James and Polly Hadley, Noah and Hester Kellum, Joseph and Betsey Ballard, William and Sally Bales, Matthew and Ruth Lowder, Jesse and Jane Hocket and Robert and Eliza Tomlinson, met and petitioned Blue River Monthly meeting for the privilege of organizing in that house a meeting for worship, a preparative and monthly meeting to be known as White Lick Monthly Meeting.
At this meeting Eleazer Bales and James Hadley both gave public testimony which was the first Friend's preaching in Hendricks County."


                                                      Block                 Inscription
                                                              Memorial Block                                                       Inscription

Back to Cemetery List