JONES GRAVES (William & Eleanor)
Eel River Township, Hendricks County, Indiana
SW1/4 of the NE ¼ of Sec 4, T16N R2W
Visited September 20, 2007
Directions: This cemetery is on the east side of SR 75,
south of 236. It is in the south yard of #103 Main Street. The
single stone is in the lilac bush and the graves are believed to be between
the bush (north) and the detached garage (south).
N39°51.489’ W86°38.528’ or
One stone inscribed “ELEANOR” was found by the landowner about 30 years ago
barely showing above ground. She thought it was another rock and moved
it to mow. After the writing was found, she placed it in front of a
lilac bush a few feet away, where it remains today. Other rocks from
the yard were also piled around the bush, including what appears to be the
bottom base of a stack stone. The Eleanor stone is probably a footstone,
which means that William probably had one as well. They most likely
shared a small stack stone. The area will be probed after a good rain.
The nearby ravine will also be searched in case the stack pieces were rolled
by livestock in the past.
William and Eleanor Jones were both born in Virginia but had settled in Hendricks
County by 1830. William was born about 1803 and Eleanor about 1800.
It appears that all of their children were born in Indiana and lived until
adulthood: Sarah (b.~1828), Elizabeth (b.~1829), David D. (b.~1830), Samuel
(b.~1832), Eleanor (b.~1834), Mary M. (b.~1837), and William A. (b.~1839).
Base in Bush
General Location Circled in Yellow