Henry County, Indiana a small part of the INGENWEB and USGENWEB Projects
Genealogy and History
Henry County, Indiana
a small part of the INGENWEB and USGENWEB Projects
Liberty Township is located on the east side of the county, and bounded on the north by Prairie and Blue River townships, on the east by Wayne county, on the south by Wayne county and Dudley and Franklin townships, and on the west by Henry township, and contains about forty square miles. The surface is generally level or slightly rolling, and is watered by Flat Rock and Symon's Creek. The timber, building material and gravel of this township are good, while the farm improvements are not surpassed in the county.
The present population of the township is near 2,000, and its wealth is about ;$1,300,000.
Some of the first settlers of the township were Samuel D. Wells, Cyrus Cotton, Jacob Tharp, Ezekiel Leavell, Jesse Fortner, John Baker, T. R. Stanford, David Bower, John Leavell, Robert Thompson, Elisha Long and Moses Robertson.
Township Trustee, Martin Kinsey ; number of school houses, II ; value of school property, ;$7,000.
Union Church, Chicago; 2J miles southeast of Millville ; Sabbath School superintendent, J. E. Smith ; average attendance, 65.
Christian Church, Flat Rock ; five miles south-east of Newcastle ; membership, 100; J. M. Boyd, Sabbath school superintendent; average attendance, 60; value of church property, ;$2,200.
Friends' Church, Flat Rock, two and three-quarter miles north- east of Ashland ; membership, 52; Sabbath school superintendent, Samuel Brown; average attendance, 22; value of church property, $300.
Universalist Church, Devon, three miles south-east of Ashland ; membership, 30; value of church property, $1,000.
Coon Creek Union Sabbath School, two miles north of New Lisbon ; Frederick Baker, superintendent ; average attendance, 50.
German Baptist Church, White Branch, four and a half miles north-west Hagerstown ; value of church property, $700.
Liberty Church, United Brethren in Christ, one and a half miles north of Millville ; membership, 75.
German Baptist Church, Locust Grove, five miles north-west of Cambridge City ; value of church property, $700.
Jefferson Grange, No. 66 ; 3 miles southwest of Hagerstown ; organized Nov. 1873; membership, 26; Mason, Master; J. B. Rorer, Secretary.
Liberty Grange, No. 105 ; N. T. Lowell, Master; Chas. Nap, Secretary.
Ashland Grange, No. 1763 ; organized March 27, 1874; membership, 49; T. B. Hunt, Master; D. K. Millikan, Secretary