Henry County, Indiana
Genealogy and History
History of Henry County, Indiana : together with sketches of its cities, villages and towns, educational, religious, civil, military, and political history, portraits of prominent persons, and biographies of representative citizens : also a condensed history of Indiana, embodying accounts of pre-historic races, aborigines, Winnebago and Black Hawk wars, and a brief review of its civil and political history. Chicago: Inter-State Pub. Co., 1884, 944 pgs.
Stony Creek Township derives its name from a stream which rises near its orders. It is situated in the northeastern part of the county; has a varied surface and soil and many varieties of timber. Its resources are chiefly agricultural.
The township was formed on the 11th day of November, 1828, and then included all of Blue River Township and a tier of eight sections, which have since been annexed to Prairie Townshp. The township now contains twenty sections, and is territorially the smallest in the county. In 1870 its population was 934; in 1880, 947.
The first election was held at the house of Thomas Hobson, in 1828. John Ross was chosen Trustee, and John Hodgson, Justice of the Peace. Officers for 1883-'84: J. B. Howell and J. H. Kilmer, Justices; Frank W. Murray, Trustee.
Andrew Blount made the first purchase of land within the present limits of the township in 1822. He was the only purchaser in that year. During the year 1822 three or four made settlements in the township. Among the pioneers were John Hodgson, Jacob Good, William Gallion, John Hiatt, John Moore, Isaiah Lane, William Brewer, Pleasant Holloway, R. Stanley and Jonathan Bedwell.
The first mill in the township was built on Blue River, by John Smith. Abraham Lennington opened the first store at Blountsville in 1834. The first school-house in District No. 1 was built in 1835. The township now has six schools, which are in good condition. Blountsville has a well-conducted school in two grades, known as the Blountsville Academy.
Churches.-The first preaching in this township was by David and Aaron Miller at Bloutsville about 1830. The first house of worship was erected by the Methodists in 1840. There are now four churches in the township: Methodist Episcopal, Methodist Protestant, Geman Baptist and "New Light" Christian. The pastors are: Rev. Mr. Smith, M.E.; Rev. John Newhouse, New light; Rev. Jesse Prim, M.P.; David Bowman, Bishop of the German Baptist.
Bloutsville, on the eastern bank of Stony Creek, was founded by Andrew Blount, who settled at this point in 1822. His log house was the only dwelling here for some years, and in 1836 Bloutsville consisted of only three houses, one of which was Abraham Lennington's hotel. The first store was kept by Timothy Jordan.
A postoffice was established in 1836, John St. John, Postmaster. The present Postmaster is W. J. B. Luther. In 1880 the village had 188 inhabitants, and in 1884, about 225. Blountsville has two churches, three lodges, three general stores, one hotel, two drug and hardware stores, two boot and shoe shops, one harness shop and tannery, two confectionery and restaurants, two blacksmith shops, one carriage shop, one tile manufactory and three physicians.
Circleville, which exists as a village only in name, was duly laid out several years ago. It is situated on the line between Stony Creek and Blue River township.
Rogersville, in the western part of Stony Creek Township, was laid out in 1837 by James O. Rogers and John R. Colburn. The village once had stores, shops, etc., but its glory has departed.
Masonic.-Blountsville Lodge, No. 331, F. & A. M., was organized May 31, 1866 with charter members as follows: Thos. J. Bowls, W.M.; Eli Warner, S. W.; Wm. R. Parsons, J.W.; J. W. Stanley, Treas; J. D. Brewington, Secretary; W. S. Hendrick, S. D.; J. Chaffant, J. D.; W. N. Brewer, T. In 1884 this lodge had twenty members and the following offers: Andrew Blount, W.M.; I. N. Hollinger, S. W.; W. M. Holliday, J. W.; Thos. marshall, Secretary; Wm. Finch, Treasurer; Samuel Pa rks, S. D.; Isaac Gilmore, J. D.; Wm. Lacy, T.
Odd Fellows.-Bloutsville Lodge, No. 305, I.O.O.F., was organized March 3, 1868, with the following charter members: William B. Baker, N.G.; Cornelius Curry, V.G.; N. B. Vallandigham, S.; Richard Vallandigham, T. The lodge had thirty members in February, 1884, and the following officers: W. R. Gates, N.G.; S. e. Knott, V. G.; Jacob H. Kilmer, S.; William Knott, P.S.; J. M. Luellen, T.; O.G. Howell, District Deputy.
Grand Army.-David N. Kimball Post, No. 204, G.A.R., was organized at Blountsville, July 10, 1883, with the following officers and charter members: Jont. Ross, P.C.; A. W. Galyean, S.V.C.; John d. Brewington, J.V.C., Jonathan Chaffant, A.D.J.; Calvin Cross, O.D.; Oscar Rogers, Q.M.; Samuel Hackman, Jr. R. Whitehead, Geor. W. Smeltzer, Henry H. Main. The post now has seventeen members.
William Haynes was born in Wayne County in 1818. His parents were among the first settlers of Henry County, coming here about 1821. Mr. Haynes has long been a resident of this township, and has held several local offices.
John Finch, an old and prominent citizen, was born in North Carolina in 1815, and came to Henry County quite early. Mr. Finch owns a large and excellent farm.
John Hodgson, a native of North Carolina, came to this county with his family in 1824, and remained here until his death. His son Lewis is a prominent farmer of this township.
William Devore, born in Ohio in 1800, is one of the oldest citizens of the township. He came to this county in 1842.
Hon. Russel Jordan was born in Wayne County in 1819. In 1843 he married, after which he settled in this township, where he has since resided. He represented this county in the Legislature in 1850-'51. He has also served as Justice of the Peace and other township offices. Mr. Jordan was one of the organizers of the Christian church in Blountsville.
Benjamin Bowman, an aged pioneer, was born in Montgomery County, Ohio, in 1808. In 1831 he married in Wayne County, Ind., and removed to Henry County, where he has since resided.
James Lennington, born in Armstrong County, Pa., in 1812, came to Henry County in 1835, and to his present farm two years later. Mr. Lennington was an exhorter in the Methodist Episcolpal church for twelve years, and has served five years as pastor of the New Light Christian church.
Colonel A. R. A. Thompson, though not an old resident of Henry County, is yet worthy of prominent mention, he being an excellent example of the self-made man. He was born in Ohio in 1818; followed teaching and other occupations until 1846, besides traveling in the Southern and Western States. He then engaged in the mercantile business, first at Hagerstown and afterward at Blountsville. He is now a farmer. In 1875 he was elected to the Legislature on the Independent ticket as joint Representative from Henry and Hancock counties. While a resident of Ohio he was made Colonel of militia.
Halliary Howell, born in Wayne County in 1814, came to this township and began life in the woods in 1836, on land purchased of the Government. He still continues a resident of this township.
Jeremiah and Mary Lake came from West Virginia, by team, in 1833, and after spending about six weeks in Prairie Township, settled in Stony Creek. Mr. Lake died in 1866; his wife in 1868. Their son, John W. Lake, has carried on the mercantile business in this county about thirty years. He is now located at Blountsville.
Robert Bookout, a native of tennessee, moved to this township in 1834, and still resides here. He has been industrious and successful in business.
David and Abigail Luellen came from West Virginia and settled in this township in 1836. Mr. Luellen died in 1852; his widow still survives. Their son, James S. Luellen, is a prominent farmer in this township.