henry.gif - 3844 Bytes

Welcome to

Henry County, Indiana
Genealogy and History

a small part of the INGENWEB and USGENWEB Projects

BIOGRAPHIES


Earl A. Johnson

Surnames in this biography are: Johnson, Robling, Pancake, Gladish, Malott, Hunt, Miley

Typed and Contributed by Lora Radiches

EARL A. JOHNSON, A. B., M. A., Ph. D., a well-known Indiana educator, is principal of the Burns Demonstration School at Muncie. This is a very elaborate institution, one of the most modern of the kind in the state, and the buildings and grounds represent an outlay of over $500,000, the grounds having been donated by the Ball Brothers of Muncie. The location comprises several acres of Natural Park adjoining the Ball Memorial Hospital. Doctor Johnson was born near Petersburg, Pike County, Indiana, August 26, 1899, son of Albert H. and Lottie (Robling) Johnson. His grandfather, Andrew Johnson, came from North Carolina and was an early settler in Pike County, where he entered land from the Government and improved the farm. He and his wife are buried at Petersburg. Albert H. Johnson was born and reared in Pike County, attended school there, taught school for eighteen years and during the greater part of his active life was engaged in farming and stock raising.He passed away August 13, 1928, and is buried in Walnut Hill Cemetery at Petersburg. For a number of years he held the office of county commissioner and was always a devout Baptist. His first wife was Mary Pancake, of Petersburg, who died in 1890, leaving three children: Lawrence M., a farmer at the old homestead at Petersburg; Fannie, wife of Theodore Gladish, of Union, Indiana; and Eva, Mrs. Perry Malott, of Union. The second wife of Albert H. Johnson, Lottie Robling, was born and reared near Petersburg, where she still resides. She is an active worker in the Baptist Church. She is the mother of three sons: Rev. Ray S., pastor of the Nazarene Church at Bicknell, Indiana; Hershell R., teller in the Citizens State Bank of Petersburg; and Earl A. Earl A. Johnson passed his boyhood years on a Pike County farm, attended local schools and during the World war was enrolled in the Students Army Training Corps at Oakland City College. He remained with that institution until he was graduated with the A. B. degree in 1924. Doctor Johnson has been engaged in schoolwork for seven years, and during the intervals, has carried advanced studies in Indiana University, which gave him the Master of Arts degree in 1927. In 1929 he was awarded the Doctor of Philosophy degree by the State University. As a school man he was engaged in teaching in Pike County for four years and for three years was principal of the Mount Olympus High School in Gibson County. In 1929 he came to Muncie to become principal of the Burns Demonstration and Experimental School, the buildings being partly completed when he entered upon his work, and he has the distinction of having put into operation this splendid school plant. Doctor Johnson is a member of the National Education Association, the Phi Delta Kappa national honor fraternity. He is affiliated with Gibson Lodge No. 420, A. F. and A. M., is a member of the Kiwanis Club and the Presbyterian Church and has affiliations with Conrad Post of the American Legion at Petersburg. He married at Princeton, Indiana, May 7, 1923, Miss Lennie Hunt, of Princeton, daughter of Monroe and Sarah (Miley) Hunt. Her father is a well-to-do farmer and stock raiser at Princeton. Mrs. Johnson attended school there and graduated from the music department of Oakland City College in 1922. She is an accomplished pianist and before her marriage taught music in the public schools of Gibson County. Doctor and Mrs. Johnson have one daughter, Patricia Elaine.

Return to Henry County, Indiana Biographies Index