Jay County Indiana Biographies
Dr. Jacob BOSWORTH, one of the prominent pioneers of Jay County, who is now deceased, was born in Plymouth County, Massachusetts, in 1791, and was of New England ancestry, two brothers of the name BOSWORTH having come from England in the early history of the colonies, from whom all of the name have descended. When a young man Doctor BOSWORTH came West, locating first at Marietta, Ohio, and from [p 612] there went to Gallipolis. He followed teaching both before and after coming West, and for a time was a teacher in Winchester College, Massachusetts. He was married in Gallia County, Ohio, to Miss Nancy WESTLAKE, who was born in Virginia, of English descent. They were the parents of twelve children, nine of whom grew to maturity. Four sons and three daughters still survive -- Augustus, residing on land which he entered on section 22, Wayne Township; Dr. Richard, living in Winchester, Randolph County, is a graduate of the medical department of the Michigan State University at Ann Arbor, and was surgeon of the Thirty-sixth Indiana Infantry in the war of the Rebellion; Thomas, a member of the law firm of BOSWORTH,MARKLAND & SNYDER; Jacob, a physician of Camden, Jay County; Elizabeth, wife of Lewis J. BELL, of Pike Township; Ann, wife of John MILLER, living on the old homestead of her father; Mary, wife of George TURNER, of Randolph County. Joseph died in Ohio in early infancy; Leander died in Ohio, aged eleven years. Hannah died aged seven years, in the spring of 1837, her coffin being made from the boards of a box in which the first goods were brought to Portland. Sarah married Joseph C. HAWKINS, and died in Wayne Township, and Nancy B. was the wife of J. W. HEADINGTON, and died in Wayne Township. Doctor BOSWORTH was prominently identified with the early history of Gallia County. He followed the teacher's profession in that county for a considerable time, and during his career as a teacher he devoted his leisure time to the practice of medicine, which he adopted as a profession, and practiced medicine until late in life. He came to Jay County, Indiana, with his family in May, 1836, locating on section 33, Wayne Township, where he had entered land earlier in that year, and in connection with clearing his heavily timbered land he answered to the calls of the suffering, and far and near the name of Doctor BOSWORTH became a household word. He made his home in Wayne Township until his death, which occurred January 8, 1866. He was quiet in his manner and benevolent in his character, and always foremost in any enterprise which had for its object the advancement of his township or county, or public good. He ever maintained an interest in the cause of education, and in 1837, with the assistance of a few of his neighbors, erected a log school-house on his land, and here he and his wife, without compensation, alternately taught the children of the early settlers. This was the first school-house erected until a public school building was erected."