Search billions of records on

Jay County Indiana Biographies


DR. NORMAN McFARLAND, one of the most successful physicians and surgeons of Randolph county, Ind., was born in Darke county, Ohio, June 10, 1842, and is a son of Lewis and Charity (Marquis) McFarland. Lewis McFarland was born in Butler county, Ohio, March 12, 1816, was quite small when taken to Darke county, remained there about six years, then went to Holmes county, Ohio, and when about twenty years old returned to Darke county, was there married in 1840, and became the father of eight children, four of whom are still living; viz: Norman, whose name opens this sketch; Emily (Mrs. Biram), of Kansas; John, a physician of Millgrove, Ind.; James F., in Iowa. Of the four deceased, two died in infancy and two in later life. Shortly after Union City was laid out, Mr. McFarland purchased a farm south of the town. Here he resided until 1891, when he retired to his home within the city limits on south Howard street, where he is passing his declining days in comfort, after having cleared up three farms. He lost his first wife in March, 1884, and in 1889 married Edith Harris. Both Mr. and Mrs. McFarland are members of the Christian church, and in politics is a republican, having naturally fallen into the ranks of that party on the disintegration of the old whig organization, to which he had formerly belonged, casting his first vote for William H. Harrison in 1840. Norman McFarland passed his youth on the home farm, but had the opportunity of securing a good education, attending first the common schools, then Antioch college at Yellow Springs, Ohio, two terms, and then one term at Ridgeville in 1867. August 6, 1862, he enlisted in company C, Fifth Indiana volunteer cavalry, under Col. Felix Graham and Capt. Farley. He participated in Sherman's battles from Missionary Ridge to the sea, and at the engagement at Franklin and Nashville, when Thomas cut Hood to pieces. He received an honorable discharge at Indianapolis July 3, 1865, and on returning home taught common school four terms. Placing himself under the tuition of competent physicians, he prepared himself by thorough study for medical lectures, and after attending the usual number of courses was admitted to and graduated from the medical college of Indianapolis in 1869. He then immediately located at New Pittsburg, Jackson township, Randolph county, Ind, and has there met with a most successful and lucrative practice, which still engages his time and attention. The doctor was married September 12, 1870, to Miss Sarah A. Sanders, who was born in Jay county, Ind., January 13, 1847, and is the daughter of Jacob and Ruth (Peacock) Sanders, natives of Pennsylvania. This union has resulted in the birth of four children, two sons and two daughters, viz.: One that died at sixteen months of age; one that died an infant; Mary Jane, born October 9, 1875, at home, and Nellie, born November 11, 1881, also at home. The doctor, in addition to giving his attention to his extensive practice, finds time to direct the working of his farm of 123 acres, and to his various social duties. He is a member of the G.A.R., and in politics is a republican

Templates in Time