Robert S Taylor
Robert S. Taylor, of
Fort Wayne, was born at Chlllicothe, Ross
May 22, 1838, and
is one of eight children born to Rev. Isaac N. and Margeretta (Stewart) Taylor.
Rev. Isaac Taylor was a pioneer Presbyterian minister of Ohio, and came to Jay
county Indiana, in 1844. He was the founder of Liber College,
near Portland, Indiana.
Robert S. Taylor was educated in the common schools of
Jay county, and was a student at Liber College,
from which he was graduated on
June 30, 1858. He began the study of law in the office of Jacob M.
Haynes in Portland,
but, in 1859, removed to Fort Wayne,
where, in 1860, he was admitted to the bar. He continued, however, to teach for
a short time. Late in 1860 he became a clerk in the office of Attorney L. M.
Ninde, and in 1861 he became the latter-s partner. In 1866 Robert S. Robertson
became a member of the firm. In 1867 Mr. Taylor was appointed first prosecutor
of the Criminal court. The same year he was appointed Judge of the Common Pleas
court, and the law firm was dissolved. Political and official duties have been
mingled with his law practice for the last forty years. In 1870 he represented
Allen county in the General Assembly. In 1874, and
again in 1880, he made the race for Congress, but was defeated. In 1881
President Garfield appointed him on the Mississippi River Commission, on which
he served until 1913. He has taken an active part in every presidential campaign
since 1860, except one. Many of his addresses have been published. He is a
member of the Allen County, Indiana State, and
American Bar Associations. On
June 30, 1858, Judge Taylor was married to Fanny Wright, of Randolph
county, Indiana, and to this union one son has
been born, Frank B., a geologist of national reputation. The family home is at No. 2905 Fairfield avenue, Fort Wayne.
Source-Courts and lawyers of
Indiana, Volume 3 By
Leander John Monks pg1256