List of names & dates by picture
1. July 8, 1830 beginning of Court--Judge Chapman Denslow approved by Governor James B. Ray
2, More of Certification of Chapman Denslow as Judge after being duly elected
3. Signatures of James Brown Ray-Governor and James Morrison-Sectretary of State
4. More on setting up of Court
5. E.A. Pabody and Thomas Hill Jr. administrators of Samuel Adams-bring to the court inventory of Personal Estate of Samuel Adams done by Nathan Robinson and James A. Keith. May 21, 1829.
6. Inventory of property of Samuel Adams
7. Inventory of property of Samuel Adams
8. Court adjourned till next day
9. Sept 9, 1829, Estate of William Hood brought to court, executrix Kitty Hood refuses to act as such
10. Richard Stott appointed administrator of William Hood
11. Daniel Midcap appointed guardian of Polly Ann Garwood infant heir of Joel Garwood deceased, John Midcap acts as security for $150 for Daniel. Seal for Probate court adopted (The eagle side of a Silver Half Dollar of the United States of America)
12. Brazil Meek administrator of estate of Joshua Meek appears to say there is no personal property, and mentions the real estate owned by Joshua Meek at the time of his death.
13. Tells Brazil Meek to sell Joshua Meek's property to settle his debts
14. Tells Brazil Meek to publish notice of sale of Joshua Meek's property in the Weekly Republican from Madison, Indiana and in three public places.
Daniel R. Midcap his wife Malitha & others vs. Alexander Chambers Administrator of the estate of Joel Garwood.
15. Complainents Daniel R. Midcap and other complainents come to court and court supoenas plaintif for next session of court. Court adjourns Court re opens on November 2, 1829 for new session.
16. John Chambers executor of estate of John Chambers dec. comes before court to declare amounts collected and paid, 2 notes against David K. McCallister considered not collectable.
17. Page crossed out concerning estate of Joel Garwood and its administrator Alexander Chambers.
18. Next session of Probate Court first Monday of January 1830-Richard Stott administrator of the estate of William Hood comes before the court and the estate is declared insolvent.
19. Court orders sale of Real Estate of William Hood 80 acres on which his widow now lives. Samuel Graham makes motion to be appointed guardian of Polly W. L? with bond by Thomas Graham.
20. James Loyd appointed guardian of John Wimple (Lunatic) Henry L/Soper security. Annanias Hudson administrator of the estate of Leonard Turkyhiser, brings vouchers of payments made to the estate.
21. Court adjourned January 4, 1830, comes back on January 5, 1839-first on docket estate of William Hood-deceased
22. Little bit more on sale of William Hood's property.
23. Three weeks notice given for sale of property of William Hood. William Sanford comes to court as administrator of the estate of Bir? Clark, deceased more notes found due to the estate also a receipt from John Plymate, note on James Loyd
24. January 25, 1830 Daniel Midcap & others vs. Alexander Chambers parties agree to waive all errors of record and proceed to trial. Stare of court on Wednesday.
25. Wednesday January 26, 1930-parties in court about estate of Joel Garwood-Daniel Midcap & others, heirs of the estate vs. Alexander Chambers executor of the estate who is charged with $520.56. Alexander Chambers ordered to pay $338.89. Chambers acknowleges and agrees to pay.
26. more on above case.Court adjourned.
27. March 3, 1830-court begins with Zenas Kimberly appearing as administrator of the estate of Levi Rich?-presents to the court additional inventory and amount of sale of land notes on Joseph Hudson, Wm. C. Branwell,
28. Vouchers on estate of Levi Rich? Ezra F. Pabody administrator of the estate of Joseph Hartwell deceased comes to court and exhibits note on Thos Stow? and Abram Barrett.
28 More on persons who owed Levi Rich? had notes against including B & J Barrett and John Kysar. Richard Stott administrator for the estate of William Hood returns to court reporting sale of property.
29. John Vawter executor of the estate of Jethro Hizer comes to court and produces a voucher for receipts and proof of payment of a bill larger than receipts, estate owes him money at this time.
30. March 3, 1830, Samuel Graham asks to be made guardian of Sally McLoughlin, he has Sally's approval as her guardian Bond secured by Thomas Graham.
31. More on Graham, McLoughlin. James Loyd guardian of John Wimple (Lunatic) comes to court and asks that because John has no personal property Real Estate be sold.
32. James Loyd states that the property was appraised by William Brown, Henry L.L/S?oper and James Sheilds, appraisal done authorization for sale given.
33. More on sale of Wimple property, 50 acres on Sand Creek, notice of sale must be posted for three weeks. Secuitry given by Henry L. S/Loper called a freeholder?
34. More on above sale of property. Richard Stott executor of estate of James Stott is duly sworn.
35. May 4, 1830, last of comments on Richard Stott. Mention of Robert Russell and Steven Russell.
36. Robert Russell and Steven Russell are told to come to Court to settle estate of Robert Russell during the July term. Also ordered Justis Rich to come to court to settle the estate of William Wells of which he is administrator. Court adjourned
37. July 8, 1830, new term-James E.F. Pabody and Thomas Hill administrators of the estate of Samuel Adams, bringing accounts and vouchers concerning the estate. Mention of Hannah Carpenter.
38. Annanias Hudson comes bringing receipts and vouchers concerning the estate of Leonard Turkeyhizer. Hannah Carpenter wife of Jonathan Carpenter deceased comes to court for letters of administration of her husbands estate.
39. Hannah Carpenter applies to administer husband's estate Samuel A. Keith as security. Justis Rich appears to answer summons from court to settle estate of William Wells, asks for and is given an extension until next session of court.
40. Basil Meek comes before court administrator comes before court with charge against the estate which is allowed. Joseph Harrington files bond with John Walker as security.
41. Joseph Harrington from above is appointed guardian of Fanny Russell, Elly Russell, Robert Russell, Samuel H. Russell, William Russell and Leander Russell infant heirs of William Russell deceased.
42. James Loyd guardian of John Wimple (lunatic) comes before the court to say the tract of land they ordered sold has been sold to Kerns? Adam Eli. Court orders deed made for land. Richard Stott administrator of the estate of James Stott reports on sale of his personal property and payment to widow.
43. Estate of Richard Stott declared insolvent-not enough money to pay expenses. September 9, 1830
44. Sept. 10, 1830-Justis Rich comes to court in response to summons by court, it appears Justis Rich is indebted to the court for money he took from the estate of William Wells.
45. More on Justis Rich he is required to repay over 1,000 with interest to the court.
46. More on debt of Justis Rich to estate of William Wells steming from June 18,1819.
47. More of above.
48. More of same stating what Justis Rich owes heirs of William Wells.
49. More of same
50. New Court session Nov. 4, 1830, William Clapp comes before court to file papers as administrator of the estate of Fredrick Myers
51. Nov. 5, 1830-continuation of William Clapp presenting notes belonging to the estate of Fredrick Myers, note against Saml Crawford, note against Loyd Wright, note against Peter W. Kenedy-all the above are deemed uncollectable.
52. William Clapp is indebted to the estate of Fredrick Myers
53. more of William Clapp's indebtedness to the estate
54. same as above
55. January 1831 term of court, estate of Walter Davis, Ross? Sharp administrator
56. Ross? Sharp appears to be indebted to estate of Walter Davis.
57. repeat of above.
58. Achilles Vawter comes before court as quardian of the heirs of John H. Rogers, and submits bill for their care. Katherine Grey guardian of the heirs of Jesse Grey appointed by Jefferson County Probate Court.
59. William H.H. Gray enters his apent concerning the sale, appraisers William Brown, William Clark and Amos Knapp appointed by Jennings County.
60. Property of Jesse Grey appraised at $242.00.
61. January 7, 1831-Property of Jesse Grey to be sold, must be posted for three weeks prior to sale.
61. Same day as above, one of the heirs of Darby McGannon dec. and files the Will of Darby McGannon
62. more on will of Darby McGannon, witnesses Chisley Woodword Joseph Carnes-Sally W McGannon & John S. Torbert executors of will ordered to appear in court and post bond. Petition for partition by Moses Tharp
63. March term of Court beginning March 10, 1831-On motion of Lewis Price, James Stockton is appointed guardian for his two daughters Lucy Jane Price and Ann Maria Price,for the purpose of receiving their legacy.
64. Sally McGannon files her bond with John S. Torbet and Reuben McGannon as executrix of the Will of Darby McGannon.
65. More on will of Darby McGannon
66. More on will of Darby McGannon and Katharine Gray by her agent William H.H. Gray reports compliance to court order from January.
67. more on Gray land sale.
68. more on Gray land sale, terms of sale.
69. Ezra F. Pabody administer of the estate of Joseph Hartwell brings papers to court. John Grinstead is appointed guardian of Simon Wimple and Anne William minor heirs of John Wimple (Lunatic) provided he secures bond for performance of duties.
70. March 11, 1831-Isaac Hall, James S. Smith & William C. Branwell appear in court concerning information from January term on the division of lands belonging to heirs of Robert Russell.
71. More on Russell land.
72. More on Russell land.
73. More on Division of Russell land including names of Heirs, John Russell, Robert Russell, Mary (Russell) Terrell, Nancy (Russell) Stratton also mentioned Moses Thorp who purchased part of the property.
74. More on division of Russell land names included Stephen Russell, John Russell, Betsey (Russell) Gilliam
75. More on division of Russel land names included William Russell deceased son and heir of Robert Russell deceased, Rachel (Russell) Avery.
76. Detailed diagram of division of Russell land, with each heirs parcel defined also shows land adjoining owned by Mattrews, Thorp, Shephard and Graham.
77. Numbered discription of land on diagram again mentioning heirs names.
78. More on discription of parcels belonging to heirs after partition
79. More on parcels including widow's dower land.
80. More on Russell land.
81. More on Russell land.
82. Russell land
83. Bill for Surveying land amounts paid to the following James Smith, Isaac Hall, William C. Bramwell, Joshua Shepherd, Samuel Lander, Moses Thorp.
84. Blurry picture of above information
85. Richard Stott administrator of Estate of James Stott files a schedule of the Real Estate of deceased-court orders sale of land
86. Alexander Chambers complains that John Midcap security of Daniel R. Midcap quardian of the heirs of Joel Garwood, James L. Garwood and Polly Garwood. The court orders that said Guardian Daniel R. Midcap appear at the next turn of the court to show cause.
87. More of case between Alexander Chambers & Daniel R. Midcap
88. May 5, 1831-Alexander Chambers on Complaint vs Danl R. Midcap quardian of Polly Ann Garwood & James L. Grawood-Daniel R. Midcap appears to the summons issued in previous Court date.
89. Chambers vs Midcap-It not appearing to the court that the said Alexander Chambers complainant aforesaid is interested as heir or creditor in this behalf. It is considered and adjudged by the court that complaint be dismissed at the cost of the said complainant. Court adjourned until the next morning.
90. Friday morning May 6, 1831-Court orders that William Sanford be appointed guardian of Sally Whitaker minor heir of Charles Whitaker deceased.
91. John Walker, security for William Sanford in above matter. Court adjourned and re opened July 7, 1831.
92. Court opens and is adjourned. Court re opens July 8, 1831.
93. Richard Stott administrator of the estate of James Stott reports that by court order the real estate belonging to heirs of James Stott was sold on April 28, 1831. Lot # 201 sold to Wm. A. Bullock, Lot # 108 to E.F. Pabody.
94. previous estate of James Stott sale of Lot # 204 to Richard Stott, one piece of Land supposed to be two acres to William Clinton. Richard Stott executor with annexed will of William Hood made sale of real estate of the deceased to Thomas Stone.
95. Court approves sale of property of William Hood deceased and orders Richard Stott to execute deed to Thomas Stone since the property is paid for. Richard Stott also administrator of the Estate of James Stott satisfies the court that the real estate of James Stott has been sold.
96. Court orders deed be made for real estate of James. Moses Thorp Petitioner vs. the heirs and claimants of Robert Russell deceased-in Partition.
97. Moses Thorp who owns adjoining property to the Russell land want the several claimants who will receive parts of the land be required to pay for the partition of said land in equal proportion to the part of the estate they hold. Court adjourned.
98. September 8, 1831-September term of Court.
99. While Court was in recess on August 3, 1831, Mary Barnum was made administrator of the Chattles, rights and Credits of Barna Barnum deceased-by law took the oath as administrator and paid the necessary bond.
100. Ezra F. Pabody administrator of the estate of Joseph Hartwell makes the following exhibit balance due Estate on last settlement Cr. $345.59
101. Amounts paid Estate of Joseph Hartwell by William Bullock and James Shutton also bill for services to E.F. Pabody.
102. John McLoughlin the father of Sally McLoughlin files a complaint against Samuel C. Graham heretofore appointed guardian of Sally McLoughlin after considering alligations in complaint letters of guardianship are revoked.
103. Ezra F. Pabody administrator of Estate of Samuel Adams brings exhibits to wit. Daniel M. Hills note paid, from Richard Stott recieved from James Bishop recieved.
104. Exihibits for estate of Samuel Adams recieved and filed. Court adjourned till tomorrow which will be September 9th.
105. Friday morning September 9, court meets
106. repeat of previous page
107. Richard Stott administrator of estate of James Stott proposes motion to have published for six weeks that on the next term of the court it will examine and determine claims.
108. Estate of James Stott, that if all persons having claims against said file do not respond the same will be postponed.
109. Richard Stott administrator of the Estate of William Hood asks that he be granted motion to publish in newspaper for six weeks that on the next term of the court said court will examine and determine on all claims.
110. Estate of William Hood that if all persons having clains against said must file same or the ruling on said estate will be postponed.
111. William Sanford Administrator of Estate of Benjamin W/M? Clark files vouchers of paying debts and expenses in the amount of $616.22 to wit, Benjamin Bean, Samuel Rogers clerk of sale, David Rays receipt,
112. James Lloyds receipt for wheat, Cornelius Clovers receipt for coffin, Patrick Hudson buyer, A. Andrews rec. for tuition of children, Samuel Rogers receipt, W.A. Bullock as clerk of sale,
113. David Ray for attendance of dec. last sickness, Samuel Rogers for tuition, Martha Bliss for Tutition, Sherman Watson for Tutition, Z. French, physicians bill, John Kirkendall Tavern Bill, Maurice Baker recpt , Sarah Ann Varney for attendance of deceased and keeping his house in his lifetime, Maurice Baker tax,
114. David Ayers proven acct, Ira Wells store account, William C. Brannwells surveying bill, balance on store book ledgers pages 98, 168,
115. April 15, 1828 balance of store book including burying clothes, March 11, 1829 paid David Ray for Sunday services, Hiram J? Brown & John W? Knapp for work on house per agreement of deceased in his life time. March 11, 1829 paid William Brown for Widow Holtons Tuition of Cinthia
116. April 18, 1828 for hauling household and Kitchen furniture from Maidson together with family and and expences, June 7, Attending appraisment and sale 2 days. May 19, 1828, myself team and hand collecting stock and other articles, my attendance on Probate Court August term,
117. Attending to tending farm, attending one day in surveying land, boarding up to March 4, 1830 at 50cts per week. amount paid out for making Clothes by sundry person exclusion of shirts Stockings, March 3rd 1830 Clks fees, Richard Stott appraiser, Tuition of Cynthia, digging grave, Tax receipt, Tuition of three children.
118. Sherman Watsons account, Murpheys account, Howes account, Tuition of three children.
119. Tuition Cynthia, Tuition Children, Tuition Cynthia, Tax receipt, Physicians Bill, Duttons receipt, Boarding John from March 4th to March 16th 1830, Cynthia and Orlando till September 9th 1831.
120. Amount on store ledger missed page 98, also on page 148, Goods from Jonathan Fosters Grocery, Making and paying for making clothes from March 4, 1830 to September 9th 1831, My own services from March 4th 1830 to Sept. 9th 1831, Tax receipt
121. William Sanford notes overcharge on Item in schedule bearing date 11th March 1829, accounted for in voucher Balance $599.22
122. Amount of sale brought forward $441.75, Amount of notes brought forward $555.50, Collected of Peter Klapp $31.80, Amount charged to Admin $1029.05
all of which have been examined by the Court and ordered on file. Ordered that Court stand adjourned September 10, 1831
123. Next Court day November 21, 1831
124. This day comes Annanias Hudson who has taken out letter of Administration in vacation of the Probate of the estate of John Randall the same with bond all approved and ordered on file.
125. Apraisement of Estate of John Randall
125. Personal Property of John Randall, list.
126. More property
127. More property
128. More property
129. More property
130. More property
131. More property
132. Last of property apraisal list, cetification that the list is true inventory of the personal property belonging to the Estate of John Randall deceased shown by Annanias Hudson Administrator Given under our hands October 15, 1831--Thomas Hill Jr., James Hammond
133. October 15, 1831, Samuel Lard a Justice of the peace of Montgomery Township County of Jennings and State of Indiana, Thomas Hill Jr. and James Hammond were sworn to faithfully and inpartially to appraise the
134. personal property belonging to the estate of John Randall to be shown unto them by Annanias Hudson Administrator of said Estate, I do certify that above appraisers were sworn by me. Samuel Lard J.P.
135. E.F. Pabody and Thomas Hill Jr. administrators of the Estate of Samuel Adams makes final settlement of said Estate with exhibits to wit. Interest on money, E.F. Pabody bill for services, Thomas Hill Jr. Bill of services, John Walker cost bill
136. It is therefore considered and decreed by the court now here that the said administrators stand charged with one hundred and forty six dollars for the benifit of the heirs of said Estate and the defendnats in mercy.
137. On application of Samuel Graham guardian by letters of guardianship form the County Court of Shelby County, State of Kentucky duly authenticated for the sale of the real estate of Cynthia Shelliday and Mary Jane Shelliday his wards said lands situate in the county of Jennings State of Indiana and the said Caleb Shelliday late of Kentucky, deceased
138. repeat of previous page
139. Cynthia and Mary Jane being each entitiled to one undivided one third part of each of the following tracts of land owned and properties by the said Caleb Shilliday in his life time to wit one being the South West Quarter of Section number thriteen Town five Range Seven East, the other the North West quarter of Section twenty four Town five Range Seven of the Jeffersonville district of Lands. And it appearing to the Court that the interest of the said Cynthia and Mary Jane will be promoted by public sale of the said undivided one third part to them and each of them belonging in and to said lands and it is hereby considered ordered and decreed that Henry Cunard, James S. Smyth and Samuel S. Graham be appointed comm
140. commissioners in the behalf to view and appraise the one undivided third part of each of the said tracts to which the said Cynthia and Mary Jane are entitled, and that they make report of the same at the next term of this court.
141 On application of Martha Ann Booker and Benjamin Halafax Booker infant heirs of Halafax Booker deceased--William A. Bullock was appointed Guardian
142. of their persons and property provided he enters into bond with security to the satisfaction of this court in the amount of three hundred dollars ordered that court stand adjourned unti tomorrow morning at 9 O'clock.
143. Court returns, Schedule of sale of the property belonging to the Estate of John Randall with names of the purchasers-as follows-Edward Randall, Thomas Cobb, Daniel Randall,
144. Benjamin Randall, Henry Cobb, Booth Thomas, Daniel Lett, Elias Cline, Joshua Hudson, Joshua Shepherd
145. Samuel Finical, Benone Hollensead, Isham Lett
146. Samuel S. Graham, Booth Thomas, Elisha Thomas, William Kanan, Isaac Hall, Andrew Terrell, George McCaslon
147. Fanny Randall, William Kanan
148. Mary Barnum Administratrix of the Estate of Barna Barnum returns into Court the inventory of the appraisement of the personal property of said estate, list of personal property.
149 More of property list of Barna Barnum
150. More of property list
151. Purchasers at sale of Property of Barna Barnum Sept. 1, 1831-Perry Blankenship, Richard Meek, Asa Skinner, Elisha Boner, John Tripp, William Hoyt
152. More Purchasers, George McKeehan, William Meek, Daniel D. Midcap, John Vawter, Alexander Dixon, Aaron Wallace, James Barnum
153. Annaias Hudson Administrator of Estate of Leonard Turkeyhizer brings exhibits of debts paid to court.
154. List of paid debts of Leonard Turkeyhizer.
155. Richard Stott Administrator of Estate of James Stott deceased makes settlement of goods and Chattles of said Estate, those paying included John Boner
John Vawter, John Walker
156. William Sanford, A. Vawter, Jared Foster, Smith Vawter, Anon & Lodge, William C. Bramwell,
157. Claims against the Estate of James Stott allowed by the Court and ordered on file.
158. Daniel R. Midcap & wife & others Vs. Alexander Chambers adm. of Joel Garwood dec.--Alexander Chambers asks the cause be continued because he was not served thirty day previous to this term of the court. On motion of James S. Garwood infant heir of Joel Garwood it is ordered by the court with the consent of said infant the Daniel R. Midcap be appointed his guardian.
159. Brazil Meek administator of Joshua Meek comes to the court concerning the sale of the real estate of Joshua meek which was published in the Indiana Republican-it being the North East Quarter of section 24 in Town 6, Range 7 in the County of Jennings
160. Brazil Meek states sold the said quarter section of land for the sum of $320.00, said sale confirmed deed ordered.
161. Costs of Administration of the sale of Joshua Meeks estate noted and payment approved.
162. Tuesday morning Nov.2,1829--Richard Stott comes before court as Administrator of William Hood dec. and makes known that the estate is insolvent and claims the privilege of administering the same accordingly. Daniel R. Midcap comes and files his bond with John Midcap his secutiry.
163. Bond of Daniel R. Midcap is as guardian of James S. Garwood and Polly Garwood infant heirs of Joel Garwood.
164. Transcript of a Judgement in favor of C.P.J. Avion? against deceased? acct in favor of Wm. Kizer, account to Jared Foster, note to Bullock & Pabody, account to James Chitwood, E.F. Pabody for J.Chitwood. Court adjourned Nov. 22, 1831
165. Richard Stott comes to court to make final settlement on estate of William Hood.
166. Debt of estate of William Hood appears deleted
167. More on debt of William Hood appears deleted
168. More on estate of William Hood also appears deleted
169. Page 64, Looks like actual account and disposition of Estate of William Hood including Mortgage on property in favor of William Sanford. Also Taxes for 1828 & 1829 receipt to John Burns, receipt to Joshua Deputy, balance on a horse.
170. More payments from Estate of William Hood-Arion & Lodge, John Boner & Samuel Wagner for apprasials
171. More on payments from Estate of William Hood---to Asa Chace for Crying sale, John Walker clerk of sale, William A. Bullock
172. More people paid from Estate--E.F. Pabody, A. Vawter, Chapman Denslow, J. Burns
173. More figures on Estate of William Hood.
174. All bills in the Estate of William Hood paid leaving $34.99 left with the administrator.
175. Further settlement of the administration of the Estate of James Stott by Richard Stott, after sale as ordered by court it was discovered that a Judgement exists upon the Jennings County Curcuit Court in favor of one John Dugan which was rendered in the year 1820 and still remains unpaid and operates as a lien against the property. It is therefore ordered the previously ordered sale be set aside and rendered null & void as to the purchasers.
176. Richard Stott absolved from accountability to creditors and heirs because of the problems with the Estate of James Stott.
177. January 5, 1831, January term of Court called to order. Henry Cunard comes before Court.
178. With Henry Cunard are James S. Smith & Samuel S. Graham who were appointed Commissioners at the last November term to view and appriase the south west quarter of section thirteen Township five north of Range seven east and the north west Quarter of section twenty four Township five north of Range seven.
179. east, report that after being duly sworn they did proceed to view and appriase the same at one dollar and fifty cents per acre. Amounting in the whole to the sum of three hundred and twenty dollars which report is accepted & ordered on file. On application of Samuel Graham Guardian of Cynthis Shelliday and Mary Jane Shelliday his wards for the appointment of a Commissioner to sell and convey to the proper purchaser or purchasers the undivided two thirds of the south west quarter of
180. section thirteen Township five north of Range seven east also the north west quarter of section twenty four of Township five north of Rance seven east of the Jeffersonville district of lands whereupon it is ordered that Walter B. Goodue be appointed said Commissioner in pursuance of said application and that he proceed to sell the aforesaid land at a credit of thirty days for one half of the purchase money and a credit of twelve months.
181. for the payment of the other half of the purchase money, the commissioners taking from the purchasers their bonds with good and sufficient free hold security for the payment of the purchase money and that he report his proceedings to the next term of the court.
182. Court adjourns then comes in again January 6, 1932--Richard Stott administrator of Jame Stott deceased comes before court for final settlement of the Estate and exhibits the following payments made by him of debts due from said Estate also charges for his administration of aforesaid.
183. Receipts to the Estate of James Stott from-Jared Foster, Phebe Stott, Avion & Lodge, James Chitwood
184. Balance in hands of Richard Stott administrator of thirty four dollars & ninty cents
185. Balance of Estate given to court according to law & is now subject to the order and direction of the court. The following is a list of notes and accounts filled since the last term of this court and allowed at this day by the Court To wit---notes to George Stribling, William Clapp, William Sanford by John McCormit, Levi W. Todd
186. more notes on account of James Stott-Alexander Chambers of the Estate of Joel Garwood, John Garwood also an heir of Joel Garwood, James Foster, book account of Levi Todd
187. All of the above being duly examined and approved by the court. It is ordered & decreed by the court that the expenses of administration by fully paid together with the funeral expenses & the expenses of the
188. last sickness of the decedent-which appearing to have been due. It is further ordered & decreed that the sum of Thirty four dollars and ninty cents be divided in equal portions among the above claims.
189, It is ordered by the court that Alanson Andrews be allowed one dollar & forty cents out of the estate of William Hood dec. it being interest ommited in his claim at the last court & that hte administrator relinguish same to be refunded & paid over. This day comes Zachariah Tannahill and files into Court a transcript of a judgment from the docket of John Burns Esq. against the Estate of William Hood deceased. therefore it is ordered by the court that the same be allowed amounting in the whole to the sum of seven dollars twelve and a half cents, also twenty five cents to John Burns Esq. for the said Transcript
190. That Richard Stott the administrator requires the same to be paid to the said Zachariah Tanahill. Court adjourned.
191. March term of Court 1832-This day comes Peter Clapp who having on the thriteenth day of January 1832 taken out of letters of administration in vacation of the Jennings Probate Court the Estate of Henry Herrings dec.
192. Letters of administration for Estate of Henry Herrings confirmed and ordered to be recorded and filed. On January 30th 1832 John Walker clerk of the Probate Court certifies that letters of Administration of the good and Chattles rights & credits which were of the Estate of Henry Clapp late of the County of Jennings in the state of Indiana, deceased who died in Testate was granted by the clerk of said Court to Peter Klapp &
193. page 73--Ezra Paybody and Wm. A. Bullock two of the executors of the estate of Benjamin B. Hews deceased and for final settlement of said estate do make the following exhibit of the amount due from said Executors at a former settlement to wit $309.98. Payments and and credits now exhibited.
194. Payments to Jos. S. Benham, H. P. Thornton, Richard Stott, H. Watts, P. Sweitzer, Amos Butler, Judgement against Magriefs, J. Forbes note.
195. Bill of services William A. Bullock and E.F. Pabody.
196. After final settlement of estate of Benjamin B. Hews $13.25. Walter B. Goodhue who was appointed at the January ter of the Court Commissioner to sell the undivided two thirds of two quarter sections of land belonging to the heirs of Caleb Shelliday deceased and reports that he
197. has performed that duty and that he did on the 13th day of February 1832 sell the said undivided two thirds of said lands for the sum of three hundred and twenty dollars seventy two cents to one Zachariah Deputy for which he has taken the the obligations for the payment of the purchace nothing from said Deputy according to the order of the court all of which is approved of by the Court and the report of the Commissioner ordered on file.
198. On Motion of Joseph Herrington Guardian of the infant heirs of William Russell deceased. It is ordered by the court that Robert Russell & Stephen Russell administrators of the Estate of Robert Russell deceased be summoned to be and appear before the Judge of the Probate Court on the first day of the next term to make a final close of their administration.
199. It is further ordered on the application of the said Joseph Harrington the aforesaid guardian that all the right and interest of the heirs of William Russell deceased in and to the share of the real estate of Robert Russell deceased be appraised for the purpose of sale for the support and sustinance and education of the infant heirs of the said William Russell dec. to wit Fanny Russell, Elly Russell, Robert Russell, William Russell, Samuel Russell, Lorinda Russell, which said land is a part of section number fifteen township five range eight east of the Jeffersonvile district and known by a plat of survery heretofore recorded.
200. in said Probate Court in the partition made between the heirs of the said Robert Russell and numbered nine upon said plat of partition and it is ordered that Isaac Hall, Lemuel Wells and Abraham Walton to be appointed appraiseres of said share or tract of said land and make return to this court of the amount of said appraisment and their doings there on at the next term of this Court. It is also ordered by the court that Achilles Vawter be appointed Guardian of Alfred Herring, infant heir of Henry Herring deceased and that he enter into bond with William A. Bullock.
201. more on bond of Achilles Vawter.
202. Court adjourns new session starts May 14, 1832
203. Ezra F. Pabody Administrator of the Estate of Joseph Hartwell for settlement submits exibits to wit, to Richard Stott and to widow of Joseph Hartwell name not given. Examined and approved by Court and ordered on file.
204. repeat of previous page.
205. Ezra Pabody comes and reports that the personal property or available assest of said estate is insufficient for the payment of debts and now files an inventory of the appraised value of the real estate of said Hartwell made by William A. Bullock and Jared Foster appraisal of the part of the North East Quarter of section number twenty one twon six range eight east of the Jeffersonville district and owned by the said Hartwell in his lifetime with a mill seat thereon, sold by the said Hartwell in his lifetime to one Thomas Stone, upon which said mill site the said Stone holds a bond of this said Hartwell for a deed upon certain payments being made which said Bond hath been forfeited by the
206. non payment by said Stone and the said administrator prays that the said land & nice seat may be sold for the payment of the debts aforesaid, whereupon it is ordered by the court that Major Kendrick & Weatley his wife, Henry Warren & Laura his wife, Stephen P. Shiw? and Clarissa his wife and Alanson Andrews who in this behalf is appointed Guardian adletium for Alanson Hartwell & Riley Hartwell
207. Idiots and heirs of the said Joseph Hartwell deceased, To be and appear before the Judge of the Jennings Probate Court on the first day of their next term to show
208. cause why the real Estate of the said Joseph Hartwell dec. should not be sold for the payment of the debts owning the Estate.
209. On motion of Joseph Mosely it is ordered by the Court that John Bonner administrator of the Estate of Gilbert Sullvin dec. be summonded to attend at the next term of said Court and show cause if any he can why he sould not make a final settlement of the Estate.
210. This day comes Justus Rich administrator of the Estate of William Wells deceased and Exhibits to the Court two receipts in the words and figures following To wit, Received of Justus Rich administrator o the Estate of William Wells deceased one hundred dollars in full of my share on one third part of said Estate real and personal
211. Sept. 26th 1831 next term Lewis Co. NY Euphame Bald?
212. It is not intended that the real Estate above should be taken into consideration at all in settling up for the personal Estate with the Probate Court of Jennings County. Justus Rich Received of Justus Rich administrator of the Estate of William Wells deceased one hundred dollars in full of my share of the personal property of said Estate-Joseph C.K. Wells
213. Therefore it is ordered by the Court that the above reciepts stand as a Credit on a judgment heretofore tendered against the said Justus Rich administrator of the Estate above mentioned
214. August 13, 1832--Whereas heretofore to wit on the 28th day of July 1832 Isaac Thixton in vacation of this Court filed his bond & took out letters of administration of the goods & chattles rights and credits of the estate of Moses Neale deceased all of which proceedings is approved of by the court.
215. repeat of above.
216. This day comes Walter B. Goodhue Commissioner heretofore appointed by this court to sell the lands belonging to the estate of Caleb Shelliday deceased and pays into Court the rest of the purchase money, recieved by him for the sale of the aforesaid lands-and produced to the Court and order from Samuel Graham Guardian of said infant heirs to wit; Probate Court of Jennings County Indiana----Please to let Walter B. Goodhue have the money which the land was sold for belonging to
217. Cynthia and Mary Jane Shilleday heirs of Caleb Shelliday deceased and this shall be your receipt for the same. May 1832 Samuel Graham, Guardian of said heirs -- which order is filed in the Clerks office. Therefore it is Ordered by the Court
218. that Walter B. Goodhue be appointed Commissioner to make a good and sufficient deed of Conveyance to the purchaser of the lands aforesaid.
219. This day comes Peter Klapp Administrator of the Estate of Henry Herring deceased and presented to the Court the inventory and appraisment bill of the goods and chattles of said Estate. List of items
220. More of list--Lawdin? Rose, Cornelius Clover-Appraisers
221. More on sale of Henry Herrings property
222. On application of Mary Moore, Permelia Moore & John Oakley Moore minor heirs of Benjamin Moore deceased-Mary Moore is appointed Guardian for said Minors for the protection of their persons and property provided she enters in to bond with security to be approved of by this Court in the amount of three hundred dollars---when came the above and appointed Mary Moore Guardian and intered into bond with Smith Vawter as her security for the faithfull disharge of the trust committed to her as said Guardian which bond is approved of by the Court and ordered on file and the Guardian has been duly sworn according to law
223. repeat of previous page.
224. Isaac Hall, Samuel Wells & Absablom Walton appraisers appointed the last term of this court to appraise the land belonging to the heirs of William Russell deceased made the following report to wit; agreeably to an order by Jennings Probate March Term 1832, we the undersigned do certify that we have appraised the real estate of William Russell heirs and compute it at three dollars per acre. March 12, 1832.
225. Amounting in the whole to forty nine dollars & fifty cents which report is recieved and ordered on file--and upon the application of the said Guardian the Court orders the said guardian to procede to sell the said lands (to wit) Lot number nine in the partition of the estate of Robert Russell dec. as of Record and belonging to the heirs of Wm. Russell dec at public sale according to law. Court adjourned. August 13, 1832
226. duplicate of previous page.
227. John Vawter Executor one of the Executors appointed in the last Will and Testament of Halifax Booker deceased produced to the court letters of administration in said Estate.
228. Also James Butler is Executor in Estate of Halifax Booker.
229. repeat of previous page
230. John Burns Justice of the Peace testified John Vawter and Janes Butler were sworn to perform the duties required of according to the law in exectution of the last Will and Testament of Halafax Booker on April 12, 1824.
231. Exhibits to the Court by John Vawter concerning the Estate of Halafax Booker to wit Paid Thomas Armstrong per voucher, paid John Walker
232. paid Col. James Stott, paid Richard Stott, paid Hiram Book, advanced to Anna Booker,
233. paid John Roads, paid William Sanford, paid Hiram Booker, paid Maurice Baker, paid John Vawter for services. Estate of John Vawter August 15, 1832
234. Per Contrary by note of A. Vawter, John Branham & William Ramsey-dated April 15, 1832 to run 18 months
235. April 5, 1828 through Major Sanford, credit by note of John Midcap & A. Vawter, full amount rec. of A. Vawter including note on Midcap & interest.
236. Rec. of Hiram Booker, John Midcap, Col. Bramwell for Tanahill, Z. Tanahill, Isiah Blankenship, all examined by court and ordered on file.
237. This section may be crossed out but will list names mentioned-Ezra Pabody administrator of Joseph Hartwell motion for an order of publication notifying heirs of Joseph Hartwell of application for the sale of real estate of said Hartwell due to certain heirs being non residents. Publication to notify Major Kendrick, Wealthy Kendrick, Henry Warren, Laura Warren, Stephen P. Skinner & Clarissa. sale to be held at Vernon on the second Monday in November next.
238. More on sale of Hartwell property.
239. Redo of above with more on names of heirs to wit, Major Kendrick and Wealthy his wife late Wealthy Hartwell, Henry Warner & Laura his wife late Laura Hartwell, Stephen P. Skinner and Clarissa his wife late Clarissa Hartwell, William W. Paul and Cynthia his wife late Cynthia Hartwell and Alanson Andrews Guardian adletum for Alanson Hartwell & Riley Hartwell legal heirs of Joseph Hartwell deceased and Thomas Stown who holds a title bond for said land.
240. repeat of above
241. repeat of above
242. Richard Stott Guardian of the infant heirs of William Kenyon deceased comes to court and exhibits the following vouchers-receipts per John Edwards, Maurice Baker, John Walker, Wm. A. Bullock
242. A. Vawter, William Sanford
243. Summary of amount Guardian has and owes, Allawance to Quardian in full for services to this date.
244. Received of Alvin Brooking administrator of Estate of William Kenyon in Kentucky, Amount paid John Edwards for boarding Robert Kenyon, James M. Kenyon, Elizabeth Kenyon, Milton Kenyon, William Kenyon heirs of William Kenyon deceased for the year 1828. In 1829 for boarding Elizabeth Kenyon, Milton Kenyon and William Kenyon. In 1830 for boarding Milton Kenyon & William Kenyon. 1831 for boarding and clothing.
245. All of the above examined and ordered on file, court adjourned.
246. November term 1832--Ezra F. Pabody, administrator of the estate of Joseph Hartwell dec. vs. Major Kendrick & Wealthy his wife, Henry Warren and Laura his wife, wn. Paul & Cynthis his wife, Stepehen P. Skinner & Clarissa his wife
247. and Alanson Andrews guardian ad litium of Alanson Hartwell & Riley Hartwell heirs at law of the said Joseph Hartwell Dec. & Thomas Stow who holds a lein upon the real estate of said decident. Ezra Pabody proves to court as administrator that publication was duly made according to court order and he may proceed with sale of real estate of Joseph Hartwell.
248. Nov. term 1832-Upon the application of James Adams, Calada Adams, Martha Adams, John Adams, George Bishop Adams, Mary Adams, Alzada Adams & Sam ? Adams minor heirs of Samuel Adams dec. It is ordered by the court that Thomas Hill Jr. be appointed Guardian of the minor heirs aforesaid.
249. Upon the application of John Clarke Minor heir of Benjamin W. Clarke deceased of lawful age to choose a Quardian, it is ordered by the court that Amos Knapp be appointed Guardian of the minor heir.
250. repeat of application of John Clarke, On complaint being made to the Court by Ezra F. Pabody and Joseph Cowell creditors it is hereby ordered that Mary Barnum administratrix of Barnam Barnum dec. appear at the next term of the court and make settlement of her administration.
251. Joseph Herrington Guardian of the heris of William Russell dec. reports that in pursuance of an order made at the fall term of this court he proceded to sell on the 8th day of September 1832 real estate belonging to the heirs of Wm. Russell dec out of the estate of Wm. Russell dec-to Moses Thorp.
252. Court adjourned
253. Basil Meek one of the Executors of the Last Will and Testament of Peleg Baker dec. and for final settlement shows the court that in former settlement there has been an Error made and more money was paid the legal heirs than should have been.
254. Shows that the administrators have paid over and above the true amt. of funds that were in their hands the sum of ninety three dollars sixty & three fourth cents.
255. crossed out description of John Brown administrator of estate of Gilbert Sutfin, one third part set off to Catharine widow of said Sutfin, he has paid her most of it but still owes leaving a ballance due.
256. This one third to be paid to the widow is in persuance of an Act of the General Assembly entitled "An Act for the benifit of Widows appeal. Jan. 21, 1820.
257. also crossed out says the same as above.
258. repeat of above not crossed out.
259. more of above
260. more of above
261. Seth E. Chace comes to Court comes to court to have letters of Administration which are approved.
262. Seth E. Chase to administrate the estate of Asa Chace who died intestate. January 16, 1833
263. List of personal property of Asa Chace.
264. more list of personal property of Asa Chace.
265. more of above list.
266. more of above list.
267. End of list appraised by William J. Branwell and James Shields
268. Names of those who purchased personal property of Asa Chace, Sylvia Chase, John Walker, Thomas J. Story
269. John Boner, Harvey Robb, Seth E. Chace, William A. Bullock, Alfred Boner, Johnathan House,
270. John Cook, Jacob Minton, Sylvia Chace widow of Asa Chace deceased receipt for $100.07 of property taken by her at the appraisment which is received and ordered filed.
271. Thomas Hill administrator of the Estate of John Hill deceased to whom letters was duly granted by the Clerk in Vacation of the Court on the 11th day of October 1832, letters and bond approved by the Court and ordered recorded and filed. Goods and Chattles of John Vawter deceased-note of hand on Wm. Whitsitt $40.00 worth of corn.
272. note on Daniel Hill for barrells of corn, note on Joseph Whitsitt for corn, note of hand for cash Daniel Hill, cash on hand found with deceased.
273. Clerks comments on above.
274. administration of goods, chattles right credits monies and effects which were of John Hill deceased who died intestate is granted to Thomas Hill Jr.October 11, 1832.
275. Thomas Hill to whom letters of Administration hath been duly granted by the Clerk on the Estate of Green Hill during Vacation and
276. presents his letters of administration which are approved and recorded. John Walker clerk of court certifies that Thomas Hill Jr. is to adminiister the estate of Green Hill.
277. Green Hill also died intestate.
278. October 11, 1832- Inventory of personal property of Green Hill
279. Part of personal property of Green Hill is notes on William Whitsitt, Aaron Scott, Patrick Wilson, George Briggs
280. Purchasers of personal property of Green Hill-Thomas Hill, Dearing Smyth
281. Allen Hill, John Robertson, James Fowler-approved and ordered on file by the Court
282. Andrew Wilson to whom letters of Administration was granted on the 4th day of December 1832 by the clerk of the Court in Vacation on the Estate of John Bridges late of said County deceased is recorded and filed.
283. more on letters of administration being granted to Andrew Wilson to handle the estate of John Bridges.
284. John Bridges died intestate and Andrew Wilson is authorized to administer his Estate. December 4, 1832
285. Andrew Wilson brings to court an Inventory of the personal property of Estate of John Bridges
286. List of items in personal property of John Bridges.
287. more of list
288. more of list
289. more of list
290. more of list
291. more of list
292. last of list, Sale Bill of personal property of John Bridges. Buyers of personal property Hiram Marland,
293. Samuel A. Keith, Samuel Finical, Elijah Marland, John Anderson,
294. Darias Robertson, Jedehiah Graves, Alexander Wilson, Benjamin Bridges, Nathan Robertson, Samuel Weir, John Dixon
295. John D. Wilson, James Coons, Samuel Applegate, Simeon Robertson, George Worldey
296. Shadrack Pearson, David Ogden, Matthew Mondgomery
297. Widows portion of personal property-value
298. last of Widows portion of estate of John Bridges. E. F. Pabody comes to court as Administrator of the Estate of Joseph Hartwell, deceased.
299. E.F. Paybody reports on sale of Real Estate of Joseph Hartwell to Richard Meek and since no one offered or bid more the property was struck off to the said Richard Meek
300. Sale of real estate of Joseph Hartwell approved and ordered on file-the Administrator comes for settlement making the following exhibits
301. Notes & judgement to Thomas Stow deemed not collectable, note to John Kyzer also not collectable, William Hartwell paid judgement.
302. Receipts from A. Vawter, John Vawter, Phebe Cinals?, E. F. Pabody
303. Examined and approved and ordered on file by the Court.
304. John Boner comes to court as Guardian of Sally Ann Suttia-receipt of Joseph Mosley for support of Sally Ann Suttia examined and approved and ordered on file by the court.
305. Court adjourns to reopen at 9 Oclock tomorrow morning and reopens on that day.
305. February 11, 1833-Isaac Thixton comes to court having been duly appointed administrator of the personal Estate of Moses Neale deceased, returning unto the court the following inventory of the personal property belonging to said Estate
306. List of personal property of Isaac Thixton
207. End of list of personal property of Isaac Thixton.
308. Booth Thomas and John H. Denslow were duly sworn that they did appraised the property as contained in said schedule February 6, 1833.
309. Isaac Thixton administrator swears that he has delivered over to Eliza Neale the widow of the said Moses Neal the whole amount of the appraisment of the personal property belonging to said Moses Neale amounting in all to the sum of Thirty five dollars and eighty seven & a half cent. February 12, 1833
310. Sworn and subscribed to in open court this 12th day February 1833, all of which has been recorded & approved by the Court.
311. Annanias Hudson comes to court as Administrator of the Estate of John Randall and makes Exhibits into Court as per vouchers to the amount of one hundred and forty five dollars sixty seven cents which has been duly examined and approved and ordered to be filed by the Court.
312. William Meek comes to court to whom letters of Administration was granted on the 31st day of December 1832 by the Clerk of the Jennings Court in Vancation on the Estate of James House deceased.
313. Certified by the court to Administer the Estate of James House who died intestate is William Meek.
314. December 31, 1832
315. Mary Barnum Administratrix of the Estate of Barna Barnum comes to Court and for settlement makes Exhibits of vouchers in the words following which has been duly examined amounting to thrity one dollars & seventy seven and half cents which is approved by the Court and ordered to be filed. Administratrix is allowed for all services as administratrix and for taking care of the stock of said decedent the sum of eight dollars.
316. Mary Barnum comes and represents to said Court that she has discovered that the personal Estate of Barna Barnum is insufficient for the payment of the debts due from said estate.
317. She prays the Court to order that she may settle the estate as an insolvent Estate and it appearing to the Court upon inspection
318. It is therefore ordered that publication be made to that effect and the next term of this court is appointed for the meeding of the creditors of said Estate to present their demands for adjustment. Court adjourned.
319. May 13, 1833-James Spaulding comes to Court and asks for letters of administration on the Estate of Giles Spaulding deceased.
320. More on James Spaulding being appointed Administrator of the Estate of Giles Spaulding.
321. Notes that administration of the goods and Chattles, rights, credits-monies and effects which were of Giles W. Spaulding who died intestate is granted to James Spaulding.
322. George McConnell Administrator of the Estate of Asa McConnell deceased brings to court inventory of the personal property belonging to the Estate of Asa McConnell late of said County deceased. I think there is a error here as George McConnell is listed as Administrator of estate of Giles Spaulding and I believe the clerk meant to say Asa McConnell as he had just granted administration of the Estate of Giles Spaulding to James Spaulding? Also on this page is the note that Lucy Toby and Nathanial Toby whom letters of Administration was granted on the 9th day of March 1833 by the clerk of the Jennings Probate Court in Vacation on the Estate of Samuel Toby late of County, deceased which are here approved and ordered recorded. Busy day at the Court.
321. Notes Samuel Toby died intestate.
321. Back to Estate of Asa McConnell -Note on Hiram Cloud, Note on hand to David Stite, list of property
322. more of property of Asa McConnell, May 12, 1833
323. William Sanford Administrator of the Estate of Benjamin Clarke deceased comes to Court
324. Vouchers from the following people to the Estate of Benjamin Clarke--William Dutton, Jonathan Foster, William Sanford, Baldwin & Allen, John Plymate, John Scoles, William Clark, Wm. Hotton, Shadrick M. Jeveden,
325. Linas A. Leonard, Richard Carley, John King, Abraca Bland
326. William Sanford for boarding Orlando & Cynthia Clarke up to this date for his services and other articles as per schedule.
327. Ezra F. Pabody comes to Court concerning insolvency of Estate of Joseph Hartwell-publication to be made in the Indiana Republican to creditors of the Estate to file their claims.
328. Cause on the Estate of Joseph Hartwell continued until after creditors are notified of insolvency.
329. August term 1833-Ezra F. Pabody back in Court concerning the estate of Joseph Hartwell
330. Settlement made to creditors of estate of Joseph Hartwell
331. more on settlelment.
332. these creditors paid small amounts John Fink, Joseph Herrington, Edward White, Phebe Vinal?, John Vawter, Richard Meek
333. more on how the creditors above were paid.
334. Clerk of the Court to pay the above creditors.
335. John Herring vs. Peter Klapp Administrator of Henry Harring dec.--now at this day comes the parties by their attornies and on motion of the Counsel for the defendant the writ in this case is quashed for the want of the seal of this Court being attached thereto. Therefore it is ordered by the Court now here that the plaintiff pay the costs that have accrued in this Prosecution and that the defendent go hence without day.
336. Annaias Hudson Administrator of the Estate of John Randall deceased and for settlement of said Estate makes the following exhibits to wit; receipt of Mary Renfrow, receipt of Thomas HIll, receipt of Henry Critz, clerks fees.
337. repeat of previous page.
338. now at this day comes James Spaulding administrator of the Estate of Giles W. Spaulding late of said Count dec. and files in Court the following inventory of the goods and Chattles rights and credits of said Estate that has come into his hands to wit---note on James Stott,
339. note on John Spaulding, note on James Spaulding Jr., note on Joseph Spaulding, note on Noah Bland.
340. Mary Barnum by her attorney administratrix of Barna Barnum makes exhibits for settlement
341. only 44 cents left in estate of Barna Barnum
341. what money came into estate of Barna Barnum to be paid to creditors.
342. November Term 1833
343. November 11, 1833, William Wagner is appointed administrator of the estate of Jacob Wagner.
344. on application George Wagner is appointed guardian for the protection of Malicia Ann Wagner an infant heir of Jacob Wagner deceased and gives bond together with Jane Vancleave and the said George Wagner comes & files his bond according to law.
345. William Wagner authorized to administer the goods, Chattles, rights credits monies and & effects which were of Jacob Wagner who died intestate.
346. On application John S. Torbet is appointed Administrator of the Estate of Jane Jelf? late of said County, deceased-files bond according to law.
347. John Walker is appointed Guardian for the Protection of the Estate of William Jelf, Isaac Stephens Jefl & Jane Jelf infant heirs of Jane Jelf late of said County deceased. now comes John McGannon Admininstrator with the Will annexed of Darby McGannon deceased to whom letters of Administration was duly granted by the Clerk of this Court in Vacation on September 24th 1833.
348. Odd on this page John McGannon is crossed out and the name John S. Torbet is named as being appointed Executor thereof then it says he declined to act.
349. Now it states that Sally McGannon Executrix was authorized to act but has since deceased, therefore that the goods & Chattles rights & credits which were of the said Darby McGannon may
350. be duly administered according to the said last Will & Testament of the said Drby McGannon, Administration thereof is now granted to John McGannon and he is duly Authorized to take upon himself the Administration of the said Estate according to the Will. September 26, 1833.
351. Inventory of the goods and Chattles of the Estate of Darby McGannon late of Jennings County deceased follows.
352. more of list
353. more of list
354. more of list
355. end of list duly appraised by Chesley Woodward & William Walker
356. List of sale of the farm goods & Chattles belonging to the Estate of Darby McGannon sold on the 25th day of October 1833 according to the law. names of purchasers. Farm-Hugh McGannon, Robert Torbet, Ephraim Carsey, Alex McGannon,
357. more buyers Henry Clarkson, Ebenezer Baldwin, Danville Branham, Zach McGannon, John Green, William Walker
358. Manlove Butler, Lawson Clarkson, John McGannon, James Stockton, Milton Anderson
359. Walter C. Latimore, Thomas McGannon, Joseph Hendricks, John S. Torbet, John Mckechan?
360. John Vanwy?
361. John Lively
362, end of list-many names repeated during sale.
363. Now comes Hannah Carpenter Administratrix of the Estate of Jonathan Carpenter and for final settlement makes the exhibits to the Court. Widow takes her $100.00 small balance left taken up by bills.
364. John Walker Guardian of William Jelf, Isaac Stephens Jelf & James Jelf files his bond according to law
365. John Walker swears to protect the heirs of Jane Jelf.
366. more of swearing of John Walker
367. last of swearing of John Walker-November 12, 1833. Levi W. Todd has taken out letters of Administration on the the personal Estate
368. of David Ray late of said County, Levi W. Todd presents his bond and letters of Administration filed-he swears that David Ray deceased died without any Will as far as he knows or believes and that he will well and truly administer all & singular the goods & Chattles of the said deceased and pay his debts as far as his assetts will allow.
369. Also that he will make a true and perfect inventory of the said goods chattles & credits and a just account thereof.
370. Letters of Administration granted to Levi W. Todd on the Estate of David Ray who died intestate.
371. duplicate of last page-court adjourned
372. Annanias Hudson comes to court as Administrator of the Estate of John Randall and for settlement makes the following exhibits.
373. Balance due from Administrator
374. Annanias Hudson also comes forward as Administrator of the Estate of Leonard Turkeyhizer as follows
375. part of Leonard Turkeyhizer settlement receipts from Thos Graham, Moses Neal, Thomas Cobb, John James
376. George Wagner of Jennings County is duly appointed Guardian of the Person & Estate of Malitia Ann wagner infant Daughter of Jacob Wagner late of said County deceased & has given bond and taken the oath perscribed by the Statute in such case, November 13, 1933.
377. Oath taken by George Wagner on Guardianship of Malica Ann Wagner--note differences in spelling of Malitia/Malica.
378. Oath of John S. Torbet administrator of the Estate of Jane Jelf. end of CD 1 of Probate Records.
Beginning CD 2 of Book one Probate Records Jennings County.
1. Letters of Administration of the goods, Chattles, rights, credits, monies & effects of Jane Jelf late of said County deceased given to John S. Torbet, November 13, 1833
2 William A. Bullock one of the Administrators of the Estate of Charles Whitaker comes to court for final settlement.
3. Legacies paid from Estate of Charles Whitaker to Cornelius Musler, James Whitacker
4. repeat of previous page
5. cash paid out of Estate to William Sanford, A. Vawter, A. Stark, M.M. Buniz?, Joseph Cowel, P.W. Dixon, Daniel Branham, J. Whitaker, to widow per A. Vawter, Sally Whitaker, Sally Whitaker the younger her Legacy, Booth Thomas for crying sale, E. F. Pabody agt. Shepherd & Wiesler
6. more of financial information on Estate of Charles Whitaker.
7. Real Estate of Charles Whitaker was sold as ordered by Probate Court on March 17, 1827, it being the South West Quarter of section number 15 of Township 5 north of Range 8 East of the Jeffersonville district of Lands. Purchased by John Wilkerson for the sum of two hundred & thirty dollars.
8. more on sale of property of Charles Whitaker.
9. final total on estate of Charles Whitaker.
10. William Sanford quardian of Sally Whitaker minor heir of Charles Whitaker returning into Court
11. with an inventory of the amount of monies recieved of William A. Bullock he also brings into Court
12. Bill of Articles furnished said Ward. Court adjourns Nov. 14, 1831.
13. New term of Court February 10, 1834-Seth E. Chace Administrator of the Estate of Asa Chace deceased comes to Court for Settlement
14. Paid in settlement by administrator John B. New, John Vawter, John H. Wagner, William Clinton, Samuel Wagner, Harvey Robb, Jared Foster, James Shields
15. William C. Bramwell, John Walker, Joseph Cowell, Seth E. Chace, Amos Chace, Seth M. Chace as clerk of sale
February Term 1834
16. William Baker comes to Court and makes complaint against Bazel Meek & Joseph Meek executors of the last will & testament of Peleg Baker dec. & it appearing to the court hat the executors were not fully & legally executed the will and that they have removed out of the State of Indiana. Therefore it ordered letters testamentary heretofore granted by the Court that the appointment
17. as executors be revoked & that William Baker be appointed administrator. Court adjourned February 10, 1834
18. Final settlement on estate of ? by Administrator Ezra F. Pabody money paid to the following, Thomas J. Mounts, William Mounts, Joshua Mounts, Richard Stott, E.F. Pabodys bill. William Baker Appointed yesterday as Administrator
19. of the Estate of Peleg Baker and files his bond
20. more on William Baker February 11, 1834
21. duplicate of previous page.
22. Will of Lucy Stott-In the name of God amen, I Lucy Stott considering the uncertainty of this mortal life and being of sound mind and memeory do make and publish
23. this my last Will and testament. In manner and form aforesid to wit:
Item 1st. I will and bequeath to my beloved mother Phebe Stott all my Estate both real and personal during her natural life; at her decease I will that my sister Zerelda H. Stott inherit all that I have Willed my mother Phebe Stott. I will that my mother Phebe Stott be appointed executrix of this my last Will and testament.
In Witness whereof I have herwith set my hand & seal this 19th day of April in the year of our lord one thousand eight hundred and thirty three. Signed sealed & published in presence of us and the testatrix-Witnesses Richard Stott, William Clinton, Recorded February 19, 1834.
24. May term of Court-beginning May 13, 1834-Andrew Wilson Administrator of the Estate of John Bridges deceased and for settlement makes exhibits as to debts paid. Names listed Alex M. Wilson, W. Campbell, W.B. Goodhue, S.S. Graham, Samuel Finical, George Worley, Adrain & Lodge, Chambers & Dixon, Reuben Barnes-recorded and filed.
25. Thomas Hill Jr. Administrator of the Estate of John Hill deceased and for settlement make the following Exhibits to the Court of moneys paid out by him as such Administrator to wit; Wm. Troutman, James S. Smith, Alexander Wilson, Betsey Ann Hill, Walter B. Goodhue, James Logan, A. W. Campbell & Co.
S.S. Graham, Saml Finical, H. Eastman, Allen Hill, John F. Ramsey, William Dunn
27. last of above
28. Thomas Hill Jr. Guardian of the infant heirs of Samuel Adams deceased files into Court a schedule of the Amnt that has come into his hands as such Guardian-said Guardian reports that he has paid to Mary Adams for the support of George B. Adams, Mary Adams, Alzada Adams & Samuel Adams the sum of $41.34 also paid to Calada Graham late Calada Adams $12.00. This leaves a balance in the hands of said Guardian of ninety dollars.
29. November 12, 1832.
30. Now comes Mary Moore with the Will of George Moore late of Jennings County, Indiana deceased with Ezra F. Pabody & Wilson Maddox the subscribing Witnesses to the same and it being proven to the satisfaction of said Court. Mary Moore is named in said Will as the Executrix of said George Moore she comes into Court and refuses to take upon herself the administration of said Estate whereupon the Court Appointed Richard Moore Administrator.
31. George Moores Will,
I George Moore of the County of Jennings and State of Indiana, Eldest son of Benjamin Moore late of Shelby County, Kentucky decd. being sick in body but of sound Mind and memory do make publish & declare this to be my last Will and Testament.
First---After the payment of my just debts and funeral expences. I give and bequeath to my Mother Mary Moore all my Estate both real and personal together with all my rights, Credits, monies & effects to be possessed used enjoyed by her during her natural life.
Second---At the decrease of my mother I give and bequeath to my brothers and sisters that may survive me and to George M. Gasaway my sisters my sisters son all the ? & remainder of my said Estate, rights, credits to be devided among my said brothers & sisters and the said George M Gasaway in equal parts.
Third---I hereby constitute and appoint my mother Mary Moore sole Executrix of this my last Will and Testament.
In Testimony where of I have hereunto set my hand & seal this 23rd day of August 1832-Witnesses E.F. Pabody, Wilson Maddox -page 158
32. Upon application of Seth E. Chace, Achilles Vawter is appointed quardian for the protection of the Person and property of Harriet Chace invant heir of Asa Chace late of Jennings County deceased and he is qualified as such.
33. Seth E. Chace Administrator of the Estate of Asa Chace makes final settlement of the Estate, including debts paid to John Vawter, John Boner, William Minton, Lodge & Aa?, L. Branham-and Sylvia Chace, widow of Asa Chace paid $10.00. May 12, 1834 page 160
34. James Stockton Special Guardian of Lucy Jane Price & Ann Maria Price infant children of Lewis Price he brings to court and inventory of the monies recieved by him for his said Wards totalling $200.00. Recieved in two payments of $100.00 each in 1831.
35. Amos Knapp appointed Quardian of Sylvia Clark, Cynthia Clark & Orlando Clark infant heirs of Benjamin W. Clark deceased. John S. Torbett, Administrator of the Estate of Jane Jelf deceased comes to Court with an inventory of the Estate with appraised value.
36. Items in inventory
37. more items in inventory. Names of those who purchases items at estate sale. Nathan Gasaway, John Torbett, James Spaulding, John Hughs, Spencer Fewel, John Sullivan, Nicholas Gasaway, Jacob Licklytor, George W. Buchannan, Jacob Miller, Lewis Hurlbutt, James Sage, Nicholas Lawler, Anderson Lansbury, Isaac Hughs, Levi Buchannan, Benjamin Mix. Page 163
38. Achilles Vawter, Guardian of Alfred Henning infant heir of Henry Henning deceased reports that he has recieved the sum of thirty six dollars and fifty four cents.
39. William Baker administrator of the Estate of Peleg Baker Dec. vs. Bazel Meeks, Joseph Meek late Executors of the estate aforesaid flies a bill in the above case, it appearing to the satisfaction of the court that the debtors Bazel Meek & Joseph Meek are not residents of the state of Indiana the bill will be published in the Republican & Banner a public newspaper published weekly in the town of Madison, Indiana. August 11, 1834.
40. August 12, 1834-Amos Knapp is duly appointed Guardian of the persons and Estates of Sylvia Clark, Cythia Clark and Orlando Clark infant heirs of Benjamin w. Clark deceased.
41. William A. Bullock & Ezra F. Pabody are ordered to Court to make final settlement in the Estate of Benjamin B. Hewes.
42. November Term 1834--November 10, 1834--John Vawter comes to Court whose letters of administration have be granted during vacation on the Estate of John Branham deceased. Page 166
43. John Vawter duly authorized to administer estate of John Branham who died intestate.
44. repeat of last page.
45. Inventory of Estate of John Branham presented to Court by John Vawter.
46. list of inventory
47. Iist of inventory
48. list of inventory
49. Buyers at sale of Estate of John Branham--Geo. W. Branham, Danville Branham, Fanny Branham, D. Branham, Jonathan Miller also brings a list of items taken by Fanny Branham out of the Estate of her deceased husband totaling $99.00.
50. John H. Denslow comes to court to whom letters of administration have been granted by the clerk of the Probate Court in Vacation on the Estate of Chapman Denslow late of said County deceased who died intestate. September 8, 1834
51. List of Inventory and appraisment bill of the Estate of Chapman Denslow presented by John H. Denslow.
52. Page 170 Estate Inventory list
53. Page 171 Estate Inventory list
54. Page 172 Estate Inventory list
55. Page 173 Estate Inventory list
56. Page 174 Estate Inventory list
57. Buyers at Sale of Chapman Denslow's property. Benjamin Denslow, Richard Meek, R.M. Smith, John H. Denslow, Isaac Thixton, C.R. Hudson, Matthew Arbuckle, David Meek, Sally Denslow, John L. Bradt, Balaam Lett, John Burwell, Henry Cunard, Isaac Keryea, John OCurry?, L. Chilton, Reuben Cobb, John Burwell, William Deputy, John Reed, John Brandon, Charlotte Denslow, Elias Clines, Ammon Lindley, Elisha Boner, Joseph Carnes, Greenup Johnson, Alfred Boner, Jeddediah Graves, J. A. Arbuckle, William Arbuckle, John W. Wilkerson, George Simpson, Widows portion of the estate also mentioned.
58. Page 178-Peter Klapp and Laura Whitten administrators of the Estate of Job Whitten late of said County deceased to whom letters of administration were granted by the clerk of the court in Vacation. Also Executors of the last Will and testament of J? Shepherd asking for extension till February for final settlement of the Estate, which is granted. Levi W. Todd administrator of the Estate of David Ray files an additional inventory & sale bill of property which is examined and received and ordered to be recorded and filed by the Court.
59. Items added to property of David Ray many gallons of Whiskey appraised at 25 cents per gallon.
60. Page 179, Inventory of the whiskey sold by Levi W. Todd administrator of the Estate of David Ray on the 14th day of June 1834--buyers John O'Curry, Wm. Clark, Wm. Bullock.
61. It hath been represented to this court by John Vawter administrator of the Estate of John Branham deceased that the personal goods and chattels of the said John Branham are insufficient to pay his debts. It is decreed that the real estate of said John Branham will need to be sold to pay the debts. The legal heirs of John Branham are summoned to appear at the next term of the court ot show cause why the said real estate should not be sold. page 180
62. List of heirs of Jesse Branham, Uriah Branham, Jared Foster-his wife the late Polly Branham, Danville Branham, Daniel Davis and Elizabeth his wife late Elizabeth Branham, George W. Branham, James Branham, Jane Branham and Sally Branham.
63. Bill of Complaint-William Baker administrator of Will of Peleg Baker vs Basil Meek & Joseph Meek Late Executors of said Baker
64. On the 22 day of August 1834 in vacation of said Court, I William Baker the above named plantiff having mutually settled and adjusted the matters and things in said bill mentioned and complained of against the said Bazil Meek & Joseph Meek Executors as aforesaid and for and in consideration of full and sufficient payment having been to me paid as administrator I do hereby authorize & order the said suit to be disrupted and forever to be discontinued at the cost of the defendant. And I do hereby acknowledge to have received of the said Bazil Meek and Joseph Meek late executors of the said Peleg Baker deceased ninty two dollars and fifty cents being the full of the legacy bequeathed by the said Peleg Baker in his last Will and testament to John Baker the son and heir of the said Peleg Baker agreeably and in Conformity with paid Will of which the said Brazil & Joseph were late executors and I further order and authorize this to be recorded in the records of the Probate Court of Jennings County as a final settlement release and discharge of all matters & things relating to the Estate of the said and of and from all liablilities either in law or equity. Attested to by A. Andrews, John Walker
65. Allen Hill and Annanias Hudson to whom letters of Administration has been duly granted by the Clerk of this Court in vacation on the Estate of Annanias Hudson bring and inventory of the estate to the court.
66. Buyers at the Estate sale of Annanias Hudson-Solomon Deputy, Annanias Hudson, Cyrus James, Henry Cunard, Joshua Hudson, Boyd W. Hudson, James McCrory, Samuel Poteet, Allen Hill, Alex R. Wilson, Thomas Davis, James Earl. August 28, 1834. Court date Nov. 11, 1834
67. February 9, 1835- William Shepherd Exeutor of the Last Will & Testament of James Shepherd comes to court upon a Citation from the Clerk and it appearing to the satisfaction of the court that the same was issued without Complaint being filed or the order of the Court is it ordered by the Court that the said Citation be set aside and the said Executor go hence.
Now comes John McGannon Administrator of the Estate of Darby McGannon deceased and for settlement makes the following list of bill paid to wit. paid to J. B. New, Henry St. Clair, Baldwin & Alling, William Walker, John S. Torbett, Ezra F. Pabody vouchers to Danville Branham, Thomas McGannon, Reuben McGannon, Zacheriah McGannon, Hugh McGannon, Walter C. Latimore, John M. McGannon, Alexander McGannon, Manlove Butler.
68. John S. Torbet comes to court as Administrator of the Estate of Jane Jelf deceased and makes exhibits as to debts paid those paying estate are John G. Armstrong & John Chambers. The Court orders that the amount of money collected be loaned out to gain interest until called for or otherwise be disposed of by the Court.
69. On application Daniel Latimore is Appointed Guardian for the Protection of the person and property of John McGannon Latimore provided he gives bond with security to be approved of by the Court.
On application Walter C. Latimore is appointed Quardian for the protection of the person and property of Darby Latimore infant son of the said Walter C. Latimore provided he enters into bond with security for his faithful performance as such to be approved of by this Court.
Jacob H. Hizer one of the legal heirs of the Estate of Leonard Turkyhizer late of Jennings County deceased comes to Court and on his motion it is ordered that a Summons impell from this Court requiring Annanias Hudson Administrator of the Estate of Leonard Turkyhizer to be and appear at the next term of this Court there and then to make final settlement of his administration of said Estate.
70. February tern 1835-on application the court appoints John Walker guardian ad litem of James Branham, Jane Branham & Sally Branham infant heirs of John Branham dec. in case wherein the administrator of the Estate has applied for the sale of decedants real estate. Court adjourns untill tomorrow.
71. Tuesday morning February 10-On application William Minton is Appointed Guardian for the person of Thomas Johnson a minor son of William Johnson deceased provided he gives bond to be approved of by this Court.
Levi W. Todd administrator of the Estate of David Ray late of said County deceased and files an additional Inventory of the goods and Chattles belonging to the Estate of the said deceased he also files for $100 worth of property for the widow Margaret Ray.
Buyers at the Estate sale of David Ray-Samuel Ely, Amos Knapp, John M. Brown, John Spriggs, James Toby, Valentine Brougher, David C. James, Joseph Frances, Amos Tharp, John Bolton, Adam L. Ely, Hiram Prather. Levi W. Todd files his complaint stating that the money in hand is insufiecient to pay the debts & demands against the same so it is ordered by the Court that the Creditors of the said Estate be notified of the filing and that their claims will be postponed in favor of more deligent Creditors untill when this cause is continued.
Walter C. Latimore Quardian of Darby Lattimore infant son of the said Walter C. Latimore and heir & legatee of Darby McGannon deceased and brings into court an Inventory Stating that he has received of the administrator of the said Darby McGannon twenty dollars the amount of the legacy bequeath to the said Darby Latimore by the said Darby McGannon deceased.
John Vawter administrator of the estate of John Branham vs. Application for sale of real estate, Jesse V. Branham, ? Branham, James Foster & Polly his wife late Polly Branham, Dewalt Branham, Daniel D? & Elizabeth his wife late Elizabeth Branham, George W. Branham & John Walker Guardian ad litem of James Branham, Jane Branham & Sally Branham minors & heirs of the estate of John Branham Decd.
72. Now at this day unpon the application by Administrator the heirs failing to appear & the Guardian failing to show cause to the contrary it is ordered by the court that all the interest of the estate of said deceased the wells & lands held jointly by the deceased & John Vawter or so much of them as may be necessary to discharge the debts outstanding against the estate demanding the lands & necessary to be sold after the sale of the ? into such.
73. appropriate saleable lots-to be sold the said administrator according to law. Court adjourned Feb. 10, 1835
74. May 11, 1835-Now comes Robert (George) McConnell Administrator of the Estate of Asa McConnell deceased and brings into court an additional inventory of the personal property belonging to said Estate. Accounts against Robert & George McConnell. Receipt of Benj. Parker, Receipt of Robert W. Rodgers, Receipt of Samuel Bennett.
75. William Shepherd one of the Executors of the last Will and Testatment of James Shepherd makes exhibits to the court for Settlement-amount bequeathed to widow amounting to $325.37. He asks for vouchers to pay E. F. Pabody, Wid Bullock, Uri? Metcalf, J. Walker Sheriff, Thos Hill, Robert Daughtery, Wm A. Bullock, Wm. Sanford. It appears that the executors have settled & paid of the following legacies to wit. John H. Denslow & Patsey-Adam Clemm & Rachel his wife-Isaac Clem & Nancy his wife-Allen D. Graham & Elizabeth his wife-Daniel Randall & Hetty his wife-Boyd W. Hudson & Frances his wife-The above named women are the legal heirs and Children of the said James Shepherd deceased leaving the portions of Annias Shepherd, Matilda Shepherd, Mary Jane Shepherd, Emily Shepherd & James Shepherd unsettled.S7301937
76. On the application of Sarah Ann Sufflin? an infant over the age of 14 years, Joseph Mosley is appointed Quardian for the protection of her person and property provided he gives security and it is further ordered that the letters of Guardianship heretofore issued to John Bauer as Guardian of the said Sarah Ann Sutfflin? be revoked now comes the said Joseph Mosley and files his bond with Vandaman Hughs as his security. Clerk certifies new guardianship.
77. next paragraph states Sarah Ann Sutffin? is the minor daughter of Gilbert Sutffin? deceased.
79. Page 199-On application of Darwin Eastman he is appointed Guardian for the protection of the person and property of Sarah Ann Eastman a minor under the age of 21 years and daughter of _______Johnson deceased provided he enters into bond with security approved by court-Darwin Eastman comes and files his bond with Moses Thorp as his security.
80. Peter Klapp comes to court as administrator of the Estate of Henry Herring deceased and final settlement bring exhibits mentions the amount paid from the estate to a Nelson, that a Strickland paid money to the widow, E. Herring receipt, Peter Klapp note, note L. Sullivan, note Sweetzer, receipt of Arion & Lodge, receipt Laurin Rose, receipt Cornelius Clover, John Herring tax receipt, William Switzer, William Cristy, note Wm A. Bullock, Bennett & Tharp, note James Johnson,
81. receipt Achilles Vawter Guardian of the infant son and heir of the said Henry Herring all of which shows that the administrator has fully settled the estate began at the Jennings Probate Court on the 4th day of January 1832.
Katherine Gray Guardian of the infant heirs of Jesse Gray late of Jefferson County, deceased comes to court and the court being fully satisfied that the said Katherine has been duly appointed by the Probate Court of Jefferson County Indiana Guardian as aforesaid and on his petition it was ordered by said Court tha the North west quarter.
82. of section Eighteen Township seven range eight east belonging to said Estate amd being in Jennings County be sold for the benefit of said heirs and afterward to wit at the Court began and held at the Court house in Vernon on the 10th day of March 1835 comes the said Katherine Grey Guardian & Reports that she has Complied with the order made at the last term of this Court by selling of the said North west quarter of Section Eighteen Township seven North of range Eight East to Joseph Edminister for the sum of two hundred and fifty dollars.
83. and now comes the said Katharine by James Burns with whom she has since the sale of the said Quarter Section intermarried and represents to this Court that full payment has been made to the above named quarter Section of and and asks the appointment of a Commissioner to convey to the said Joseph Edminister by a good and sufficient deed the said Quarter section of land-Ezra F. Pabody so appointed. May 11, 1835.
84. Now comes Peter Klapp one of the administrator of Job Whitten deceased page list of property 202-212
Debts due to the estate by Wm. Brown, Wm. Hartwell, Moses Miserect?, Richard Hopkins, Jacob Noe, S. King, George W. Bennett, Jonathan Hall, John John W. Stenry?, Samuel Wilson, Henry L. Loper, L. Barber, Peter Klapp, John Roe?
Buyers at the Estate Sale-James Johnson, Samuel Ely, William Clark, C.R. Johnson, Daniel Bias, Valentine Brougher, Laury Whitten, William A. Bullock, John Bolton, Jefferson Pagget, V. Brougher, Terance L. Curtis, Adam Wofford, Charles Griffith, David C. Jones, William Heath, Hezikiah Griffith, John M. Brown, Asa Skinner, James Johnson, Lewisfield Branham, William Clark, James Toby, William Tyler, David James, John Moss, Lyman Harrington, Gideon Sanford, Abraham Barrett, Absalem Wofford, James Co??er?, William Lot, Phillip Hartwell, E.F. Pabody
94. Now comes Annanias Hudson administrator of the Estate of Leonard Turkyhizer deceased submitting bills and collections, receipts from Jacob K. Hizer, Leven Flemming. Filed by the Court.
95. Now comes Balaam Lett and John Cobb to whom letters of Administration has been duly granted by the Clerk of the Court in Vacation on the Estate of Leven Malcomb late of said County deceased presenting their letters and bond which have been recieved and ordered recorded and filed.
96. John Walker Clerk of the Court Certifys administration of the goods, chattles, rights credits monies and effects which were of Leven Malcomb late of said County deceased who died intestate is granted unto Balaam Lett & John Cobb.
97. List of Inventory of the personal property belonging to said Estate with the appraisment.
98. List of Inventory
99. List of Inventory
100. May 13, 1855, page 216
101. William Sanford Administrator of the Estate of Benjamin ? Clark comes to court to make final settlement
102. amount of Estate
103. names debtors, Moore and Prather, William Brown, Knapp, E. Baldwin, Administrator William Sanford pay over to Amos Knapp Guardian of the infant heirs of the said Benjamin W. Clark, money due administrator has not been allowed at this term bor boarding Orlando Clark, until he went to live with Hudson, another bill is for Bramwell surveying and said Guardian is directed by the Court to loan said money at ten percent interest taking good and suficient freehold security for the payment therein.
104. Thomas Hill Admininistrator of the Estate of John Hill comes for final settlement of said Estate names mentioned in settlement Betsy Ann Hill, J. B. New, Joseph Whitsett, E. Farthing. Estate fully settled.
105. Thomas Hill Administrator of the Estate of Green Hill deceased comes for final settlement bringing the following vouchers, names mentioned, James Fowler, S.S. Graham, John F. Ramsey, John B. New, estate is now fully settled.
106. Levi W. Todd Administrator of the Estate of David Ray deceased brings to Court Vouchers, John B Laughlin for hauling whiskey
107. appraising whiskey Branham & Vawter, Justus Rich funeral expenses & last sickness, Henry Clair for crying sale, clerk takes Charge of money brought in by Administrator and case is continued untill the next term of the Court. May 14, 1835
108. August tenth Eighteen hundred and thirty five Court adjourns till the 15th.
109. August 15th Achilles Vawter produces his commission as such judge and it appearing from the Certificate Endorsed on his Commission that he has been duly sowrn into office as Probate Judge of Jennings County and took his seat accordingly. It is ordered that all cases that have not been determined at this be continued until the next regualr term of this Court. And the Court adjourned until the next term of this Court.
110. Pages 222-223- Moses Sawyer Will-In the name of God Amen I Moses Sawyer of the State of Indiana and County of Jennings Montgomery Township being weak in body but sound disposing mind and memory calling to mind the mortality of the body and knowing that its Appointed for all men once to die do make and ordain this as my last Will and testament in Words and form following.
First of all I give my body to the grave to be buried in a decent Christian manner at the descretion of my Executors and my soul to god that gave it nothing doubting but I shall recieve the same again at the general reserection by the mighty power of God--And as touching this worlds goods that it hath pleased god to bless me with I make the following disposition
Item 1st Its my will that so much of my personal Estate be sold as will pay all my Just debts such property as my Executors may think proper to dispose of
Item 2nd It is my will that my sons John Sawyer and Nathan Sawyer have forty acres of my tract of land of one hundred and sixty aces laid of at the lower and Western end of the above tract leaving clear acres said tract from north to south and that the above 40 acred be equally divided between said John and Nathan agreeable to guantity & quality.
Item 3rd Its my will that my beloved wife Lucy Sawyer do have the balance of my tract of land not disposed of as above to use tend and Occupy as her own right during her life time or widowhood for the purpose of raising & supporting herself children nevertheless the fee simple right of said one hundred & twenty Acres of land including the mansion house be and is to rest in the children of said Lucy Sawyer that she or may have by her husband Moses Sawyer that she or may have by her husband Moses Sawyer as yet unborn as that she now have to be equally divided among all said Luceys Children at the discretion of my Executors by sale of Otherwise and should any property perishable or not household or Kitchen Furniture or all or any part after my just debts are paid still remain that my Executors think best to be sold it may be disposed of by public sale at such credit and terms as the Executors may think best and the money arising from such sale to be applyed for the support of Lucy & Moses Sawyers Children. I do Constitute and appoint & ordain George McCaslon and John Fish as my Executors to this my last Will Signed & Acknowledged in presence of us Nancy A. Spann, Solomon Spann, Jordon Mc Spann-This 18th day of September One thousand eight hundred & thirty three.
114 Page 224- Robert Tolers Will-Last Will & Testament of Robert Toler of Jennings County State of Indiana made this 18th day of August in the year of our lord one thousand Eight hundred and thirty five. I Robert Toler do hereby give and bequeath unto Rachel Toler my wife a certain Tract of land on which I now live known as a part of the north East quarter of section fifteen of Township no (6) six of Range number Eight of the Jeffersonville land district also including thirty six acres & twenty seven poles of land deed by Col. John Vawter beginning at sections ten Eleven fourteen & fifteen of the above named Township.To have and to hold the same for her own proper use and benefit during her life time also all my personal property except my saddle and gun which I give to my son Christopher Toler after said Rachel Tolers decease said Tract of land to be equally divided between said Christopher Toler and my Daughter Polly Toler together with all my personal property after paying said Polly Toler the sum of seventy dollars out of said personal property which amount I consider I have heretofore given to said Christopher Toler.
In testamony whereof I have hereunto set my hand & seal the year & day above written, sealed signed & delivered in presence of E. Baldwin, John Boner
It is the wish of the said Robert Toler that Ebenezer Baldwin should serve as Executor & Rachel Toler as executrix to the above will Witness E. Baldwin.