William L. Applegate, one of the substantial farmers and stock-raisers of Blue River and Nineveh townships, was born in Johnson County, Ind., on the 15th day of April, 1833. He is the third son and sixth child of Bartholomew and Elizabeth (Drake) Applegate, natives respectively of New Jersey and Pennsylvania. The father emigrated to Warren County, Ohio, in an early day, was married there, and later, went back to New Jersey and became captain of a sailing vessel. In 1821, he made a tour through Indiana for the purpose of purchasing land, and being pleased with the country in what is now Johnson County, entered 160 acres in the present townships of Nineveh and Blue River. To this land he moved his family in 1832, and for some years thereafter, lived the life of a pioneer, enduring all the hardships incident to life in a new and undeveloped country. He served as probate judge in an early day, and died in 1854, aged sixty-one years. Mrs. Applegate survived her husband twenty-eight years dying in 1882, aged eighty-one. They were the parents of thirteen children, eleven of whom grew to manhood and womanhood, seven now living. William L. Applegate grew to manhood in Johnson County, and early became acquainted with the rugged duties of farm life. His early educational training was somewhat limited, and for some years he managed the home farm, looking after his mother’s interests. At the age of thirty-six, on Christmas day, 1868, he married Miss Katie G. Irons, daughter of Garrett and Mary Ann (Giberson) Irons, of New Jersey, a union blessed with the birth of two children, viz.: Frederick T. and Bart I. Mrs. Applegate died in 1872. Subsequently, Mr. Applegate married Miss Annie M. Irons, sister of his former wife, by whom he has had two children, viz.: Bennie and John B. Mr. Applegate owns a well improved farm of 150 acres in Nineveh and Blue River townships, the line between the two running through the place. He is an exemplary citizen, a republican in politics, and an active member of the Odd Fellows.