C. L. CLANCY, the gentleman whose sketch is herewith presented, is a native of Jefferson County, Ohio, born in the town of LaGrange, on the 3rd day of may, 1851. He is a son of William Clancy, who was at one time, a leading hotel man of LaGrange, and who died when C. L. was quite young. The children of the family, four in number, after the parents' death, were kindly cared for by relatives, the subject falling under the especial care of an uncle, Charles Clancy, with whom he made his home until his fourteenth year. At that early age, with the spirit that animated the patriotic young men throughout the entire north during the trying years of the nation's peril, he offered his services to his country, enlisting in the One Hundred and Seventh-fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, with which he served for one year. During his period of service he was with his regiment in thirteen battles, thus winning a record of which older soldiers might be proud. On quitting the army he engaged in the harness business at Cardington, Ohio, and four years later located at the town of Chesterville, that state, where he was similarly engaged for two years. He afterward abandoned the business and accepted an agency to sell washing machines in Indiana, and in 1871, came to Johnson County, where the following year he engaged in the livery business in the city of Edinburg, which he continued several years. He then abandoned livery and opened a feed and sale stable, which he has since carried on in connection with raising and dealing in fine blooded horses and trotting stock. He is, at this time, one of the leading stock-men of Johnson County, and at his stable can be seen a number of very fine animals, among which the names of Daniel Boone, Blue Bull, Mambrino Turk, have more than a local reputation. Mr. Clancy is well known among the stockmen of the state, and has already a large and lucrative business, which is steadily increasing. He was married September 1, 1878, to Miss Ida, daughter of David M. White, of Bartholomew County, who has borne him one child, Charles S. In addition to his fine stock, which represents a capital of several thousand dollars, Mr. Clancy owns valuable real estate in Michigan and Kansas, and a fine farm near the town of Edinburg. Politically, he is a republican, and in religion belongs to the Christian Church of Edinburg, as does also his wife. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
Transcribed by Cheryl Zufall Parker
Banta, D.D. History of Johnson County, Indiana. Chicago, IL: Brant & Fuller, 1888.