D. L. Deming, the subject of this biography, was born in the town of Edinburg, Ind., August 27, 1854, and is a son of B. J. and Heppy Deming, of English and German descent, respectively. The father was for some years a prominent merchant of Edinburg, but is now engaged in agricultural pursuits in Bartholomew County. He has been twice married, his first wife, whose maiden name was Sallie White, and by whom he had one child. He afterward married her sister, Heppy White, who has borne him five children, three living, whose names are as follows: Clara, wife of John A. Thompson, Mary, and D. L., the subject of this sketch. D. L. Deming was raised in Bartholomew County, and received a common school education, supplemented by one year’s attendance at Butler university, Irvington, Ind., where he graduated in the commercial course. On quitting school he accepted a clerkship in the dry goods house of John Walsh, Edinburg, and after spending one year in his employ, accepted a similar position with John A. Carvin, with whom he remained five years. Severing his connection with his employer, Mr. Deming next engaged in business for himself, dealing in agricultural implements in Edinburg, with an interest in the same kind of a house in Franklin. He carried on a very successful business until quite recently, when he sold out both stores. He owns a fine farm in Nineveh Township, a good property in Edinburg, and is justly considered one of the substantial and energetic citizens of Johnson County. Politically, he wields an influence for the republican party, but has never aspired to political honors, preferring to spend his time and talents in other directions. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., belonging to the lodge in Edinburg. October 11, 1882, he solemnized his marriage with Miss Mary, daughter of Peter J. and Mary (Brewer) Banta, one of the oldest and most highly esteemed families of the county. The fruits of this union are two children, namely: Byron J. and Edwin L. Deming.