CAPT. CHARLES GRIFFITH, mechanic, Edinburg, was born in Franklin County, Ohio, January 19, 1830, and is a son of Charles and Jane (Johnson) Griffith, of the same state, the father of Irish and the mother of Welsh, descent. The family moved to Jennings County, Ind., when the subject was but an infant, and there young Griffith grew to manhood, attending in the meantime such schools as his neighborhood afforded. On attaining his majority he began the blacksmithing trade, at the town of Queensville, and after working in that place a short time, located in Vernon, and still later in Franklin, Johnson county, in all of which places he was reasonably successful in his business. From Franklin he went to Decatur County and opened a shop in the town of Sardinia, where he worked for a period of about five years. He married in Jennings County, in 1855, Miss Camelia McKeehan, a union blessed with four children, two of whom, Ella, wife of E.E. Carvin, and George s., are now living. Mr. Griffith responded to the country’s call in 1861, enlisting that year in Company D, Seventh Indiana Infantry, with which he shared the fortunes and vicissitudes of war until honorably discharged, at the expiration of his three years’ term of service. He entered the army as second lieutenant of his company, was subsequently promoted to first lieutenant, and still later, for gallant and meritorious service, was given the command of the company, and held a captain’s commission from that time until discharged in 1864. Capt. Griffith was a brave and gallant officer, greatly beloved by the men whom he led on many bloody battlefields. At the close of the war he returned to his family in Jennings County, and the same year, in the fall of 1864, he moved to Edinburg, where he has since reside, in the pursuit of his trade. Mr. Griffith is a skillful mechanic and by diligent application to his calling, has succeeded in accumulating a comfortable competence, including a pleasant home and several other residences in Edinburg. He is essentially a self-made man, and as such, commands the respect of his fellow townsmen and others.
Transcribed by Cheryl Zufall Parker
Banta, D. D. History of Johnson County, Indiana. Chicago, IL: Brant & Fuller, 1888, page 419.