E. M. Hardy, editor and proprietor of the Edinburg Courier, is a native of Washington County, Ind., born in the town of Salem on the 24th day of February, 1857. His parents, Niles and Maria (Bliss) Hardy, were born in Massachusetts, but early settled in Washington County, where, for a number of years, the father was a distinguished physician. He practiced his profession in the town of Salem, and died there when the subject of this sketch was but six months old. Mrs. Hardy is still living, having reached the advanced age of seventy years. E. M. Hardy was the only child born to Niles and Maria Hardy. by a previous marriage the father had three children, and the mother, who was also married twice, had three children by her former husband, Francis Dickson. The educational training of the subject was liberal, including a course of instruction in a private school at New Albany, Ind., and several years’ attendance in Knapp’s College, in which he completed the prescribed German and English courses, in 1868–9. Having early manifested a decided preference for the printer’s trade, he began learning the art as circumstances would permit, and in 1872, engaged in the music publishing house of H. L. Benham, Indianapolis, where he remained one year. Previous to that time, in 1870, he came to Johnson County, and for some time thereafter, was employed in a mill at Whiteland, where, in addition to this work in the mill, he studied and became proficient in the art of type-setting. Severing his connection with the Indianapolis house, Mr. Hardy started a job printing office at Whiteland, where he soon acquired a lucrative business. He came to Edinburg in 1877, and in partnership with H. C. Allison, established a printing office, and succeeded to the proprietorship of the Courier, of which he became sole owner and proprietor the following year. Under his management, the Courier has been successfully conducted, its circulation largely increased, and it is now one of the most successful local papers in Johnson County. (See Press of Edinburg.) Mr. Hardy is a clear and forcible writer, a scholarly gentleman, and possesses many of the elements of the successful journalist. He was married February 24, 1878, to Miss Rose B. Myers, of Johnson County. Mr. Hardy is a member of the I. O. O. F. and W. O. H. fraternities, and, with his wife, belongs to the Presbyterian Church of Edinburg.