JOSEPH JOHNSON, marble dealer and prominent citizen of Edinburg, was born in Clermont County, Ohio, March 2, 1827, son of Richard and Keziah (Van Arsdal) Johnson, natives respecitvely of Virginia and New Jersey. Richard Johnson was a cousin of the noted Richard M. Johnson, of Kentucky, and like the latter, was imbued with the military spirit, having served with distinction in the War of 1812. Joseph Johnson is the fourth son and seventh child of a family of ten children. He was raised a farmer, but in early life manifested decided preference for mechanical pursuits. Accordingly, he began working at the carpenter’s trade a short time before attaining his majority. He soon acquired great proficiency in his chosen calling, and for a number of years was one of the leading mechanics in his native county, many of the finest residences and other buildings there having been erected under his personal supervision. In 1855, he came to Edinburg, Ind., and followed his trade in the town and country surrounding for a period of thirty-three years, erecting during that time many of the leading business houses and residences of the place. In 1879, he abandoned carpentering and engaged in the marble business in Edinburg, which he still carries on. Mr. Johnson has been an energetic man all his life, and has met with well earned success in his trade and business. He is a republican in politics, and as such has rendered valuable service to his party in Edinburg, where his counsels always command respect and weight. He was married in Clermont County, Ohio, April 30, 1850, to Miss Margaret Parker, daughter of James E. and Jennie (Logan) Parker, a union blessed with the birth of nine children, only three of whom are living, namely: W. A., and Maggie. Mr. Johnson and family are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, belonging to the Edinburg congregation.
Transcribed by Cheryl Zufall Parker
Banta, D. D. History of Johnson County, Indiana. Chicago, IL: Brant & Fuller, 1888, page 423.