Jackson Pruitt, prominent farmer and stock-raiser, son of Pleasant and Mary Pruitt, is a native of Shelby County, Ind., and was born on the first day of November, 1840. His early educational privileges were of a meager character, embracing a few months in the common schools, but his practical knowledge, obtained by coming in contact with business men, has enabled him to discharge successfully the duties of an active life. He was reared to agricultural pursuits, which honorable calling has been his life work. April 10, 1864, he was married to Miss Eliza Patterson, of Jennings County, Ind., and daughter of Adam and Roxana Patterson. Mr. Pruitt ran a sawmill several years for his father, and later began farming in German Township, Bartholomew County, where he now owns a valuable farm of 400 acres. In 1874 he moved to Blue River Township, Johnson County, since which time his residence has been in the suburbs of Edinburg, where he moved in order to better educate his children. In addition to his farming interests, Mr. Pruitt has been extensively engaged in buying and selling livestock, being at this time one of the most active dealers in this section of the county. He is an ardent friend of education, takes an active part in all public enterprises, but is withal, a man of domestic tastes and habits, finding his greatest pleasure in his home and family. Mr. and Mrs. Pruitt have three children, viz.: Arthur W., Nannie, and Charles F.