M. A. ROTH - George J. Roth, father of the subject of this sketch, and one of the reliable men of Edinburg, was born in Nuremburg, Germany, April 7, 1826, and is a son of Frederick and Ann Maria Roth. He came to America in 1849, and located in Louisville, Ky., thence later to Edinburg, Ind., which place has been his home since the year 1853. He married Miss Frances E. Gibbs, of Shelby County, Ky., in 1851, and by her had these children, namely: Mary Ann, Michael A., George J., William R., Amelia, Lillius, Mollie and Llewellyn. Mrs. Roth dying, Mr. Roth afterward married Miss Sarah E. Runchy, of Shelby County, Ind., a union blessed with the birth of two children: Frances E. and Edward. Mrs. Sarah Roth died December 22, 1876, and November 25, 1880, Mr. Roth's third marriage was solemnized with Mrs. Nancy Cummings (nee Matheny), of Morgan County, Ind., who is his present wife. Michael A. Roth was born in the city of Louisville, Ky., February 11, 1853, and while still an infant was brought to Edinburg, where he has since resided. He was educated in the schools of the town, and made his first beginning in life sawing wood for the J., M. & I. Railroad, and later began dealing in coal in a small way, which business eventually increased until he was enabled to start a coal yard. He operates the yard at this time, supplying the greater part of the coal consumed in the city, doing a flourishing business. In connection with the coal yard he has charge of the Adams Express office in Edinburg, and in all his business transactions has the reputation of an earnest and energetic man. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias and Odd Fellows orders, and in politics supports the principles of the democratic party. October 14, 1877, was solemnized his marriage with Miss Mary K. Werner, of Bartholomew County, Ind., daughter of John Werner. Three children are the fruits of this union, namely: George J., Clarence A. and Maggie A.

Transcribed by Cheryl Zufall Parker

Banta, D.D. History of Johnson County, Indiana. Chicago, IL: Brant & Fuller, 1888.