John B. Rubush, a native of Montgomery County, Va., and second son of George and Susan (Tinkle) Rubush, was born on the 17th day of November, 1823. George Rubush, the father, was a native of England, and his wife was born in the state of Pennsylvania. They were among the early pioneers of Johnson County, Ind., moving here in 1833. George Rubush was by occupation a stone and brick mason, and for a number of years preached for the United Brethren Church. He resided in Johnson County eleven years, and then moved to Hamilton County, Ohio, where his and his wife’s death occurred, at the respective ages of seventy-three and sixty-eight years. John Rubush grew to manhood in Johnson County, Ind., and until his twentieth year worked at the farmer’s occupation. He then began contracting and building, which he continued until 1862, when he entered the army as member of Company G, Third Indiana Cavalry. He served three years in the army, during which time he earned the reputation of a brave and gallant soldier, having been with his command in many of the bloodiest battles of the war. On leaving the service he returned to Indiana, locating in Brown County, thence in 1865, to Johnson County, where, with the exception of several years spent in Indianapolis and Acton, he has since resided. Mr. Rubush has given his time and attention principally to contracting and building, and has earned the reputation of a skilled and successful mechanic. He is a member of the Christian Church, and stands high in the community as a straightforward and courteous Christian gentleman. He has been an elder of the Christian Church of Edinburg for a period of twenty years, and is one of the leading and influential members of the society. He married, December, 1843, Miss Elizabeth McLain, daughter of Jacob McLain, of Kentucky, by whom he has had seven children, the following living, to-wit: Lymon S., Isabelle, Fletcher, Sarah and John. The deceased members of the family were Ellen and Malissa.