G. W. Tucker, the gentleman for whom this sketch is prepared, is a native of Johnson County, Ind., and dates his birth from the 13th day of September, 1853. His father, George H. Tucker, was an early settler of this county, and died here in 1855. His mother, whose maiden name was Parthenia Nay, subsequently married Harris Almond, of Hendricks County, Ind., where she now resides. Owing to the death of his father, which occurred when the subject was but two years old, and the consequent dependent condition of his mother, he was early in life thrown upon his own resources, and for a number of years contributed his full share toward the family’s support. He found employment in different capacities, working at whatever presented itself, until about the year 1875, at which time he rented a small farm and engaged in the pursuit of agriculture. By the exercise of rigid economy, he was enabled to purchase a place of fifty-three acres, which he still owns. In 1887, he engaged in the agricultural implement business, in Franklin, in partnership with W. D. Branigan, and in 1888, started a similar establishment in Edinburg, where he now has stock to the amount of over $40,000. Mr. Tucker’s life is a commendable example of what energy and determination can accomplish in the face of adverse circumstances. Beginning life with no capital, he has by diligent application, succeeded in establishing a good home and a remunerative business, and is at this time classed among the successful men of Edinburg. October 17, 1875, he married Miss Sibelia Pritchard, who has borne him three children, two of whom, Florence A. and Anna C., are living.