JOHN WELLS was born in Blue River Township, Johnson Co., Ind., March 15, 1848, and is a son of James and Louisa (Cox) Wells, natives of Kentucky, respectively. James Wells came to Johnson County in a very early day, and with the exception of about nine years spent in Louisville, has lived here ever since. His principal occupation has been gardening, which he has carried on in Edinburg. His wife died in the year 1885, leaving a family of five children. John Wells was reared to manhood in Johnson County, and enjoyed the advantages of a practical English education in the common schools. He began life for himself as a farmer, but subsequently became interested in the milling business in the capacity of flour packer, which he followed in Bartholomew County for a period of three years, and Tippecanoe County about seven years. From the latter he returned to Johnson County, where he was engaged in milling two years, and at the end of that time began buying and shipping poultry, which he carried on for some time with success and financial profit. In September, 1882, he began the butchering business in Edinburg, which he now carries on, being at this time in the enjoyment of a large and lucrative trade. Mr. Wells has been twice married. His first wife was Miss Elizabeth Bush, who was born in Africa while her parents were on a visit to that far-away country. On the return voyage to her native country, Germany, Mrs. Bush, mother of Mrs. Wells, died, and was buried in mid-ocean. Mrs. Wells died in 1875. Mr. Wells' present wife, whom he married in 1876, was Miss Elizabeth Clark, a native of Ireland. Her father was a soldier in the late war, and fell in the bloody battle of the Wilderness. Mrs. and Mrs. Wells are the parents of six children, four of whom are living. Their names are as follows: Elizabeth, John, Samuel and Louisa. Mr. Wells is one of the progressive business men of Edinburg, and a worthy member of the K. Of P. fraternity. He is a Democrat in politics.
Transcribed by Cheryl Zufall Parker
Banta, D.D. History of Johnson County, Indiana. Chicago, IL: Brant & Fuller, 1888.