GEORGE C. WILLIAMS was born in Union County, Ind., September 21, 1842, and is the second son of James T. and Julia Williams, the father born in Ohio, and the mother on Blannerhassett Island, in the Ohio River. The parents were of Welsh and English descent, respectively, and raised a family of nine children, five now living. James T. Williams was by occupation a cabinet-maker, but in later life followed farming. He died in the year 1862, at the age of fifty years. His wife survived him fourteen years, departing this life in 1878, aged sixty-eight. The subject of this biography was raised in his native county, and at the age of eighteen began life for himself as clerk in a mercantile house in Waynesville, Bartholomew County. He continued in that capacity for three years, and then began farming and dealing in grain and live-stock, in Jackson County, which he followed with success and financial profit for a period of about twelve years. He subsequently clerked for some time in the town of Seymour, and in 1883, came to Edinburg, where for one year he was similarly engaged in the hardware store of Compton Bros. Severing his connection with this business, he accepted a position of traveling salesman, which, with clerking, formed his principal occupation for the succeeding three or four years, when he purchased an interest in a hardware stock at Edinburg, with G. W. Tucker. He disposed of his interest in the winter of 1888, and at this time is not actually engaged in any business. Mr. Williams was married December 21, 1869, to Miss Anna B. Rockstroth, a native of Clark County, Ind., and daughter of John L. Rockstroth, a leading manufacturer of lard, oil and candles, of Jeffersonville. Three children were born to this union, namely: John, Anna and Minnie. Mrs. Williams died February 12, 1878, and in April, 1880, Mr. Williams married Miss Mary A. Hutchings, who has borne him one child, to wit: Lewis C. Mr. Williams' life has been one of great activity, and his various business ventures have proved quite successful. He owns good property in Jackson County, Seymour, Jeffersonville and Edinburg, and is classed among the progressive citizens of the last-named city.
Transcribed by Cheryl Zufall Parker
Banta, D.D. History of Johnson County, Indiana. Chicago, IL: Brant & Fuller, 1888.