A. W. Winterberg, manufacturer and dealer in boots and shoes, Edinburg, is a native of Hanover, Germany, and son of Diedrieg and Cathrina Winterberg. He was born on the 11th day of July, 1839, and until his sixteenth year remained in his native country, attending in the meantime an educational institution at the town of Grandorf, where he pursued his studies with the object of the priesthood in view. Thinking the new world offered better opportunities for a young man, than his native country, Mr. Winterberg, in September, 1855, set sail for the United States, and after a long and tiresome voyage of nine weeks, landed at the city of New Orleans. From there he came directly to Edinburg, Ind., for the purpose of joining an elder brother who had preceded him, and for about one year, after arriving here, worked with his brother at the painter’s trade. September, 1856, he entered upon an apprenticeship in Edinburg to learn the shoe-maker’s trade, and after becoming proficient in the same, worked at the business in various places throughout Indiana and Ohio until 1864. In that year he opened a shop in Edinburg, which he operated until 1867, when he moved to his present well-known place of business on Main Cross Street, and began dealing in boots and shoes, in connection with their manufacture. From the above date his business increased rapidly, and he was soon obliged to enlarge his capacity in order to meet the increasing demands of the trade. He still manufactures boots and shoes, employing several skillful workman, and carries a full and complete stock for the general trade, representing a capital of from $6,000 to $8,000. As a business man, Mr. Winterberg ranks among the most successful in Edinburg, and as a citizen enjoys the esteem of all who know him. He has always taken an active interest in public affairs and as a republican, was elected to the position of township trustee, the duties of which he discharged for a period of six years. He also served on the school board of Edinburg, and at this time is presiding officer of the city council. In 1861, he entered the army as a member of Company H, Seventh Indiana Infantry, for the three months’ service, and was honorably discharged at the expiration of that time. He was made a Mason in 1862, aside from which order he belongs at this time to the I. O. O. F. and G. A. R. December 26, 1861, he married Elizabeth J. Fretrick of Cincinnati. Ten children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Winterberg, the following of whom are living, viz.: Minnie E., Charles H., Ida, Edward, William, Jennie, Harry and Walter.