Hernan Barlow

It is with marked satisfaction that the biographer adverts to the life of one who has attained success in any vocation requiring definiteness of purpose and determined action. Such a life, whether it be one of calm, consecutive endeavor or of sudden meteoric accomplishments, must abound in both and incentive and prove a guide to young men whose fortunes and destinies are still matters for the future to determine. The subject of this sketch is distinctively one of the representative agriculturists of Johnson county. For a number of years he directed his efforts toward the goal of success and by patient continuance in when doing succeeded at last in overcoming the many obstacles by which his pathway was beset, and is today considered one of the foremost farmers of the county.

Hernan Barlow, whose fine farm of two hundred and forty acres in Clark township is one of the show places of Johnson county, was born in this county on September 15, 1870, and is a son of John and Hannah (Smith) Barlow, the father a native of Kentucky and the mother of Indiana. John Barlow came to Johnson county with his parents when he was but a boy, the family settling near Edinburg, where they remained until 1853, when they moved to Clark township, where they spent the remainder of their days. John Barlow was a farmer during all his active years and enjoyed high repute in the neighborhood where he lived because of his honest character and good business ability. He held no offices, although he took a deep interest in the public affairs of the community. He was a member of the old Grange of the Patrons of Husbandry, and among his neighbors he co-operated in the advancement of the interests of the community. He and his wife were the parents of four children: William, Ora, May, who married a Mr. Copeland, and Hernan.

Hernan Barlow received elementary education in the common schools of Clark township, and then was a student in the Acton Normal School for a while. Upon the completion of his educational training, he took up the vocation of farming, to which he had been reared and is still actively and successfully engaged in that pursuit. He is the owner of two hundred and forty acres of as fine land as can be found in Johnson county, it being eligibly located in Clark township, and here Mr. Barlow carries on mixed farming. To say merely that he is a successful farmer does not imply the true facts, for he has given to his affairs such able and intelligent direction and has carried on his business transactions on so large a scale that he is almost in a class by himself as a farmer. For about four years Mr. Barlow carried on dairying with abundant success, giving his special attention to Holstein cattle. which breed he found gave the best general results. His dairy barns are up to date in every respect, and are built to accommodate between seventy-five and one hundred head of cattle. Vacuum milking machines are used and were connected to each stall. In connection with the barn there are big cement silos, and altogether about two hundred head of cattle, both dairy and feed cattle, can be accommodated. Mr. Barlow's residence is one of the finest in the county, the house itself being modern and up to date in every particular, with all the conveniences that one could desire, while cement walks and beautiful lawns, as well as a large cement veranda encircling the entire house, give it an air of comfort and hospitality that makes it very inviting to one passing by. One would have to travel far before finding a more satisfactory agricultural prospect than is to be found on the Barlow farm, and among his fellow citizens Mr. Barlow is held in the highest esteem, because of the success he has achieved.

Politically, Mr. Barlow is a supporter of the Progressive party and takes a deep interest in public affairs, though he is not himself a seeker after public office. He is a member of the Anti-Horse Thief Detective Association, and, religiously, is affiliated with the Christian church, of which he is a stanch supporter.

On January 27, 1907, Mr. Barlow was united in marriage with Mamie Whitton, a daughter of Joseph and Maggie (Wens) Whitton, the father a native of Kentucky and the mother of Marion county, Indiana. The father came to this county in his early life, and he took up the occupation of farming, to which he devoted his active years. His marriage also occurred here. To Mr. and Mrs. Barlow have been born three children, Ethel May, Russell W. and Everett J. By a straightforward and commendable course Mr. Barlow has made his way up to a respectable position the business world, winning the hearty admiration of the people of his neighborhood, and earning a reputation as an enterprising and progressive agriculturist and a broadminded and upright citizen, and has much in his life record that could he studied with profit by a young man starting on the battle of life.

Branigin, Elba L. History of Johnson County, Indiana. Indianapolis IN: B. F. Bowen & Co., Inc., 1913. pp 776-778

Transcribed by Lois Johnson